Rant, No lights on in the Fog!! (1 Viewer)

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Today we took our Bolero to Simpsons in Great Yarmouth to trade it in for our new (to us) M/H , the morning was icy and foggy, as was a lot of other places, but why oh why are there so many d*ckheads driving on sidelamps or no lights at all!!, what is wrong with these people, anyone who knows the A47 Acle straight will know how dangerous it can be, even in good visibility, but some simply seem to have nothing between their ears. Get a grip people.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Yes bloody annoying and not a little bit dangerous! We're away for new Year in Cotswolds with friends and took a drive out today to Moreton in Marsh, encountering some pretty thick foggy patches (freezing fog at that). We encountered one clown as we rounded a blind bend with no lights on at the tail of a line of near stationary traffic. Thankfully because of the poor and changeable conditions I was driving quite slowly at around 30-40 mph despite it being a 60 limit so had time to stop safely but if he'd had lights on I'd have seen him a fair bit sooner.

D.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Today we took our Bolero to Simpsons in Great Yarmouth to trade it in for our new (to us) M/H , the morning was icy and foggy, as was a lot of other places, but why oh why are there so many d*ckheads driving on sidelamps or no lights at all!!, what is wrong with these people, anyone who knows the A47 Acle straight will know how dangerous it can be, even in good visibility, but some simply seem to have nothing between their ears. Get a grip people.

What you say is true but sadly you wasted your time typing your post as I doubt the people you refer to read this forum, and those who do know better, I hope!

Good luck with the new motorhome, hope you enjoy it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I do think the car makers are to blame, in part at least, although ultimate blame must always stay at the drivers hands

the auto lights and DRL combination were an accident waiting to happen, the auto option will never see poor conditions, but the idiot drivers will no doubt blame the car o_Oo_O

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I do think the car makers are to blame, in part at least, although ultimate blame must always stay at the drivers hands

the auto lights and DRL combination were an accident waiting to happen, the auto option will never see poor conditions, but the idiot drivers will no doubt blame the car o_Oo_O

The auto option is just that and if light switch is in the off position the auto
will not work.
These drivers are just not with it :xeek:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Same around Kings Lynn today, visibilty around 80 yards, alright metres, and plenty with no lights. I enjoyed flashing (headlights) a Range Rover Sports on the way home, still no lights after a mile when I turned off.

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We just drove back home about 60km in thick fog nearly all the way. I saw plenty of cars with sidelights on ( well, just, when they were about 10 metres away) and 3 cars with no lights on. Could be a coincidence, but all 3 cars were the same make, a 3 letter combination with an M in the middle.

OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I am not normally sexiest, but most of the cars with no lights on we're not driven by men!.

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Why, 'ever' drive with lights off. It doesn't cost any more to drive all the time with dipped headlights on.

It should surely be compulsory, see and be seen.

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
I personally always have my lights on. I taught the missus the same.

Another pet hate is letting someone go when the road narrows and they thank you by blinding you with a FULL BEAM flash!
Yea thanks for that. Maybe wave or do what I do and dip to sidelights then back to normal briefly.

Another pet hate of mine is rear fog lights. I find by the time it's that dense to not see you without them it's so slow that they are still not needed as we're all doing 5mph anyway and normal rears are fine. All people do is see a slight drop in visability then whack them on and I can see you a mile away anyway so thanks again for the extra blinding

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Another pet hate is letting someone go when the road narrows and they thank you by blinding you with a FULL BEAM flash!
Yea thanks for that. Maybe wave or do what I do and dip to sidelights then back to normal briefly.

I do exactly the same David.

Another pet hate of mine is rear fog lights. I find by the time it's that dense to not see you without them it's so slow that they are still not needed as we're all doing 5mph anyway and normal rears are fine. All people do is see a slight drop in visability then whack them on and I can see you a mile away anyway so thanks again for the extra blinding

Absolutely. If you're a car on its own in fog in the middle of nowhere then use you fog lights. But if somebodies behind you then turn them off. You do not need them in a line of traffic and you certainly don't need them when it rains.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Yup, am I'm the only perfect driver on the road and all the rest are muppets? I'm afraid with humans supposedly in charge of vehicles there will always be idiots; I hope I don't add myself to the count.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
The BBC travel news yesterday appealed to drivers to turn their lights from 'auto' to 'manual' so the problem has been recognised.

We came across two middle-aged-men-in-lycra riding cycles yesterday on a foggy road - black clothes with no hi-vis and no lights. How bonkers is that???

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
I know why they don't put their lights on. I worked with someone who said they didn't know why people put their lights on in fog because he couldn't see any better with them on!:xeek::xeek::xeek:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I am not normally sexiest, but most of the cars with no lights on we're not driven by men!.
A man was driving the car i was following! No lights at all, wife threw her ciggie still lit through the window into my face AND HE was on the middle lanevwith no one on hiq right. Pah!!!!!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Same around Kings Lynn today, visibilty around 80 yards, alright metres, and plenty with no lights. I enjoyed flashing (headlights) a Range Rover Sports on the way home, still no lights after a mile when I turned off.

Common theme here.. Norfolk !! LOL !!!!!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The auto option is just that and if light switch is in the off position the auto
will not work.
These drivers are just not with it :xeek:
Mine come on in the Toyota if it is slightly dim, and so far have always come on in fog.. even in light mist they come on !

What would be bloody handy is if someone could invent a decent fog / mist detector for rear fog lights to go OFF when they aint needed !!

Jul 31, 2016
Fife
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Well I was told by a police sergeant that it's illegal to drive outside town limits with only sidelights on, but this was the 1970's & apparently is no longer the case.

I only use fogs when visibility is less than good for one reason, to let others know that I'm there!

I'm fed up with being stuck behind a slow ( 20mph) vehicle in a light mist, unable to overtake, because there could be some loony coming towards me, who hasn't the brainpower to turn their fing headlights on!

Drivers of Silver cars, seem to think that they can be seen in fog, but don't have the sense to realise that they are the same colour as the fog, I mean DUH!

Phill

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Having driven BanHam for the first time in the fog yesterday, I couldn't for the life of me find the fog light switch. Handbook no use either. Surely I must have one. Fiat Ducati 2016.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Having driven BanHam for the first time in the fog yesterday, I couldn't for the life of me find the fog light switch. Handbook no use either. Surely I must have one. Fiat Ducati 2016.
You will find the fog light switch to the right of the steering wheel

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Coming home today in fog visibility about 50/75 yards and lo and behold pass an entrance to a field with a load of French men with their great big guns out on the hunt:xsurprised::xsurprised:.......no wonder there are so many deaths in France due to the chasse.... :xdoh::xeek:

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
It's an awfully long time ago now, but I have never forgotten the BBC journalist standing in a motorway car park and asking drivers how they drove in fog. It was just after a huge multiple pile-up on, I think, the M1. One driver said that he didn't need to slow down in fog because he kept his offside wheels on the cats eye's and could hear the difference if he strayed from the line. Another driver said that he simply kept the cats eyes in the middle of his bonnet. Simples :doh:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Unfortunately that was also my observation on the M4 2 days ago ...and one of them was my next door neighbour who I had thought was a sensible driver .. Think its about time that all vehicles including motorcycles were dipped headlights on with ignition..full stop ...

OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Think its about time that all vehicles including motorcycles were dipped headlights on with ignition..full stop ...[/QUOTE]

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Motorcycles have hard wired lights now, and have done for some time.[/QUOTE]
So have most if not all new cars but I think thing its time to bring the older vehicles into the frame .

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I had a rental car a couple of weeks ago.
The dash lights come on with the daytime running lights, so you think your headlights are on and there're not.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I know why they don't put their lights on. I worked with someone who said they didn't know why people put their lights on in fog because he couldn't see any better with them on!:xeek::xeek::xeek:
You should still be slapping them.:LOL:

Mine come on in the Toyota if it is slightly dim, and so far have always come on in fog.. even in light mist they come on !

What would be bloody handy is if someone could invent a decent fog / mist detector for rear fog lights to go OFF when they aint needed !!
Never understood why they can't at least go off wihen the ignition is turned off.like elctric screens etc ; do. At least that'd be a start.
Motorcycles have hard wired lights now, and have done for some time.
So have most if not all new cars but I think thing its time to bring the older vehicles into the frame .[/QUOTE]
Cars don't .That's the drl¡s & dash lights with them. & as others have said then the muppets think there lights are on.:doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back