gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Well the wet weather seems to have subdued the dogs issue. Still seem to be pitched on the shortcut to everywhere. Startled one person when I opened the door and stepped out, almost straight into them. The look I got was hilarious. As we are just here one more night I think I know what I'll do. Keep quiet for now as we are out for a meal later. In the morning when we go to leave I'll have a word in the office. The site is part of a group and they usually ask for feedback so I will give it. In the meantime if the dog issue comes back I will phone the 24hr helpline.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
So what is the answer then? Certainly not an Internet article.
What am I supposed to do if I am faced with a potential serious health threat because of the irresponsibility of a dog owner?

Make sure you always carry your inhaler and phone? :tounge:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
On a site at Balloch. Large amount of dogs being allowed to run off the lead by their owners.last night we had 4 coming over to our pitch. Another one this morning. Owners shouting at their dog to come back and none of them could recall their dogs. Our collie is not good with other dogs when they come straight at her so we always keep her on the lead on sites. Although she has excellent recall. Dog psychologist told us she has a large "personal space" . If other dogs barge straight in she goes on the defensive. If they come in slowly she is fine. She also said something has happened in Megs past to make her like this. Likely she was attacked. So, site rules and common sense is to keep your dog on a lead on sites. You don't know how other dogs will react. Also lots of people seem to think cutting through your pitch, right along the side of the Moho is fine. My kids knew better than to do this and show people a bit of respect for their space.

It is frustrating isn't it? We now have a new (to us ) dog from one of the local rehoming centres. A lovely natured little chap called Mobi, staffie bulldog cross and in general he's fine with other dogs.................as long as he doesn't feel threatened (big dogs towering over him, approaching too fast or from the rear, that sort of thing), if he is uncertain he goes defensive and in true Brit fashion the best form of defense is attack! He's a powerful little chunk at 25KGs of muscle and teeth and I have no doubt he could easily do some serious damage to another dog of any size given the opportunity. On more than one occasion I've had to ask other owners to reign in their dogs or Mobi might just bite a lump off to enforce the message.

Don't get me wrong he's not an overly aggressive dog, he's actually quite laid back (fast asleep) most of the time but he doesn't like feeling threatened.

D.

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I think most people would feel a bit nervous if a person ran up to them from behind or got in their face, and would probably lash out. Which is what our dogs do. Defend when threatened. We used to have two dogs but Maddie passed away last year. It took two days and three scuffles for them to get along. All handbags and no blood drawn. Meg was lost to begin with but is fine now

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
On the Tewkesbury Site last year, a collie very friendly dog, running loose, came bounding over and jumped up, my hand boxed it's ear about halfway up, knocking it away, it tried again, and got the same result.:boxing:
Cue shouting Rant from owner,:swear2: I waited till he finished, then told him I was going to reception to report his Dog was off the lead.:moon2:
I was then no longer a dog hating sadist, but an effing grass.
Warden came and had a word with him, he got all uptight, and packed up and left the Site. He gave me the finger as he left, I blew him a kiss,:lips: so in the space of about 2-3 hours I went from Dog hater to Grass to Poof:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
O, you are awful.... but I like you !

Well, reading this...................................Give the dog a yum yum, and kick seven sh**s out of the owner! It seems that assault on a person is hardly mentioned these days, but raise a hand to a dog......:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
Give em the JC treatment Tootles ...
Proper order too !

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Make sure you always carry your inhaler and phone? :tounge:
That, frankly, is the sort of answer I would expect from an irresponsible dog owner, not the sort of constructive answer called for by a civilised debate.
Asthma sufferers carry their inhalers as a matter of course to guard against accident, not deliberate irresponsibility.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I have no problem with dogs as long as they are properly controlled.
Dog shit can blind a child, but it is generally left for all and sundry to step in / spread.
Some dog owners think the clothes line is a lead.
It isn't.
The purpose of a leash is to exercise control, which can't be done at the end of a 10m bit of retractable string.

Comparison to kids is nothing less than ridiculous.
Having said that, there kid free sites.
Dog free ( therefore dog shit and yapping free) sites would suit many folk.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
All depends on the individuals defination of dog control..... also
Depends on the individuals defination of inconsiderate ...

My little dog is always on a lead, I consider it to perfectly acceptable...
Some may not...
We may not agree on this suitation but I'll defend your right to be annoyed and will expect your consideration accordingly.
We're grown people, sort it.... After all if it doesn't work we can resort to the JC way !

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Dog free ( therefore dog shit and yapping free) sites would suit many folk.

My daughter-in-law for one.

Martin is allergic to dogs which is a shame as we do like dogs and used to have one. Now after I have been to my friends' house (they have two dogs) I have to change and shower as the hairs on my clothes set him off.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
My daughter-in-law for one.

Martin is allergic to dogs which is a shame as we do like dogs and used to have one. Now after I have been to my friends' house (they have two dogs) I have to change and shower as the hairs on my clothes set him off.
Also have a nephew and he literally goes blind when he is contact with dogs.
Incredible how his face swells and his eyes water continously when subjected to them.
Not all folk can tolerate them, and as dog owners we need to be aware of that fact.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Very worrying and alarming that you resorted to hitting the poor dog. You even state that it's friendly!
And without knowing the situation of how the dog became loose..... :eek:

The dog became loose because the owner did not have control over the animal, the dog on a lead whined and barked all the time, he! let the thing off to stop it performing!
YES the Dog was friendly, NO! I did not want it to jump up putting its muddy paws over my trews, if the dog was properly trained, it would not jump up unless it was signalled it was A O K , and it, to my mind needed a quick lesson, that it's loudmouth owner failed to administer!. A dog should be a pet! under control of it's owner at ALL TIMES, a lot of pet owners make the mistake of allowing the Dog to rule, my youngest daughter is a classic case of that with her 5 dogs, the dogs now know if they jump up on me they get a clout in the earhole. They come to me and SIT, THEN! I pet them .

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
As a dog owner with 2 dogs (10 year old Staff / Collie cross rescue dog) and a Pikenese (2 year old most untrained dog I have ever known, even though we have tried to train him.) I would say when ever you are in a public place the dogs should be on a SHORT lead. Only let the dogs off a lead when you are in a dog walking area. As the owner of the dog you are responsible for all the things the dog do when on or off a lead.
Kids will be kids (we were all kids once) and some will run up to dogs without thinking of the consequences. If a dog runs up to me and jump on me then I would class the owner as being at fault. There is no one to react that will be right in every situation, every situation is different and you might only have a fraction of a second to react to the situation.
But if the dog was friendly I would suggest you push the dog away and not clout them round the earhole. If somebody was to clout my dog round the earhole in the same situation my wife would not have any hesitation in doing the same to whoever hit her dog.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Just in case anyone is interested here is Mobi "minding" the desk at work
dog.jpg

D.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Just in case anyone is interested here is Mobi "minding" the desk at workView attachment 57887

D.
Staffis are very underrated, partly because of the appalling treatment and "training" given by louts. I'd be tempted to have one in a different life.

Currently, wife was raised to be wary of dogs due to rabies and boys are allergic and scared of dogs.

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
The dog became loose because the owner did not have control over the animal, the dog on a lead whined and barked all the time, he! let the thing off to stop it performing!
YES the Dog was friendly, NO! I did not want it to jump up putting its muddy paws over my trews, if the dog was properly trained, it would not jump up unless it was signalled it was A O K , and it, to my mind needed a quick lesson, that it's loudmouth owner failed to administer!. A dog should be a pet! under control of it's owner at ALL TIMES, a lot of pet owners make the mistake of allowing the Dog to rule, my youngest daughter is a classic case of that with her 5 dogs, the dogs now know if they jump up on me they get a clout in the earhole. They come to me and SIT, THEN! I pet them .
Nice to see that you use " a clout" to train. Must be a joy for those around you to learn.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Not sure any dog owners on here are advocating letting their dogs run loose jumping on people..
But its easy to make a group of people bite if you stereotype isn't it..
Trouble is.. it always becomes a little personal.. Which may suit some I spose
Dog threads always go this way

I think you're spot on, whereas I don't condone a dog jumping all over a stranger us dog owners are very attached to our hounds, they're one of the family so I would take offence to someone hitting my dog in the same way I'd expect a parent to get upset with me if I walloped their kid around the ear after they'd hit my MH with their football, in the dogs eyes he was being friendly, hitting it could've made the dog snap and then you're in a completely different territory, as you say there will always be different opinions

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Best way to stop a dog that is jumping at you, make a dog go away if you don't want it near you, is to hiss at it. Then walk away or past it. Never shriek , squeal or raise the tone of your voice ---to a dog these all mean " let's all get excited and creat havoc"

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I think you're spot on, whereas I don't condone a dog jumping all over a stranger us dog owners are very attached to our hounds, they're one of the family so I would take offence to someone hitting my dog in the same way I'd expect a parent to get upset with me if I walloped their kid around the ear after they'd hit my MH with their football, in the dogs eyes he was being friendly, hitting it could've made the dog snap and then you're in a completely different territory, as you say there will always be different opinions
There are no bad dogs in this world, only bad owners. :) A dog is a pack animal, and in the wild, the pack leader reigns. If you, as pack leader, allow your dog to misbehave, then that's not a reflection on the dog, but more on the owner. Any fool who lets his or her dog roam around a camp site unattended, is asking for trouble. Your comparison between a dog and a child is completely wrong, although some parents allow their children to behave worse then dogs. If your not a doggy person, and your in fear of a dog, especially one with no owner present, your entitled to defend yourself, and those who place their safety in you, by what ever means necessary to deter any perceived attack. The law requires that any dog not on a leash should be under control, and must be 'recoverable' within ten seconds. Your dog?? then act responsibly for that dogs welfare, and don't allow it ever to get into a position where it may be hit. If it does get hit, then the fault is yours. (y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Is that all of Spain?
No Billy, just the bits I have seen that are a dump. The rest might be, but I haven't been to them, and on my experience of that country so far, am not likely to either. :)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I'm pretty sure the dog just has to be under control.. Leash is irrelevant and I've never heard of 10 seconds..
Dog has to be under under control in that it can't injure someone or look like it might injure someone.. This can be in a public or private place

rebellious 1

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Funster No
Being a dog owner,I always keep mine on a leash when out of home surroundings,unfortunately some dogs are out of control and will attack without provocation.The owners reaction is usually,"He's never done that before"or they disappear to make out it has nothing to do with them.Some dogs are collarless,so unidentifiable,these run free so owner doesn't have to clear up its mess.This also means that in the event of an attack you are unable to claim back any vets fees incurred. My solution to this is the same as suggested by was it, Abraham Lincoln. "Go in peace,but carry a large stick." You can interpret this however you wish.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Oh dear, that is a shame, bit like saying Brighton is horrible, so the rest of England is crap.

If you ever come to Spain, try Andalucia , not a tourist haven up between Seville and Portugal, try the beach at Matalascanas is a Spanish holiday resort, but the only time they go is June, July and August the rest of the time ........peace and the Spanish people in this area......marvellous. :)(y)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Our last dog was superb and could be walked off the lead with total control, he would always come to heal on command, although I only ever walked him off lead in open space where I could see a good distance in all directions and attach his lead if needed. Mobi is different and being a Bulldog cross is as stubborn as can be so he is ALWAYS walked on lead. In the mornings its like walking a lump of stone though but if I don't walk him he sulks like a little girl.

D.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm pretty sure the dog just has to be under control.. Leash is irrelevant and I've never heard of 10 seconds..

Do dogs have to be kept on a lead on a public right of way?
The Dogs (Protection of Livestock) Act 1953 s1(2)(c) makes it an offence for a dog to be at large (that is to say not on a lead or otherwise under close control) in a field or enclosure in which there are sheep but under close control is not defined.

Its usually conceded that ten seconds is a time limit for returning a loose dog to your side.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
No Billy, just the bits I have seen that are a dump. The rest might be, but I haven't been to them, and on my experience of that country so far, am not likely to either. :)
Crikey;
But of tough stance there Tootles.
Used to spend a few weeks there at a time (Fuengirola) .. Even lived there for a bit..... but
Prefer the SW corner of France. Spend time near Carcassonne (town called Charlabre) which is in the foothills of the Pyranees where the weather is more suited to me. Prefer the food and the folk !
What didn't you like about Spain ?

Edited to say:
Just read your reply

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
There are no bad dogs in this world, only bad owners. :) A dog is a pack animal, and in the wild, the pack leader reigns. If you, as pack leader, allow your dog to misbehave, then that's not a reflection on the dog, but more on the owner. Any fool who lets his or her dog roam around a camp site unattended, is asking for trouble. Your comparison between a dog and a child is completely wrong, although some parents allow their children to behave worse then dogs. If your not a doggy person, and your in fear of a dog, especially one with no owner present, your entitled to defend yourself, and those who place their safety in you, by what ever means necessary to deter any perceived attack. The law requires that any dog not on a leash should be under control, and must be 'recoverable' within ten seconds. Your dog?? then act responsibly for that dogs welfare, and don't allow it ever to get into a position where it may be hit. If it does get hit, then the fault is yours. (y)

My dog will definitely come back to me within 10 seconds but by that time she could've said hello to 3 people so that doesn't back up any argument, the person who hit the dog said he saw the owner release the dog from its leash, now I know us dog owners are perceived as dirty, stupid people but I'm 100% sure that the owner wouldn't have released a killer dog onto society, therefore the dog was saying hello in its 'untrained' way, hitting it was unnecessary in my opinion, other than it made the perpetrator feel dominant, which is apparently what all us dog owners should be, as I said i don't condone the dog jumping on strangers but I certainly don't condone hitting the dog either

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back