LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Very worrying and alarming that you resorted to hitting the poor dog. You even state that it's friendly!
And without knowing the situation of how the dog became loose..... :eek:
More worrying is the dog jumping up. I wouldn't be bothered how it got loose, I would do what-ever is necessary to stop it jumping up. I like dogs but that doesn't mean that I would want one jumping up on me or my family.
I agree that the dog jumping up is more worrying. What are you supposed to do if a dog comes jumping all over you with potentially dangerous consequences?

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
More worrying is the dog jumping up. I wouldn't be bothered how it got loose, I would do what-ever is necessary to stop it jumping up. I like dogs but that doesn't mean that I would want one jumping up on me or my family.
It's clear from the description that this dog wasn't perceived as a threat.....

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Is it? In what way is it clear?
The dog was jumping up and Rangi felt compelled to stop it. It seems to me that it is clear that the dog was perceived as a threat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I think that its unfair that I have to keep my three well behaved small dogs on a lead , when parents allow their noisey children to run around unfettered :whistle:

Shame that kids all aren't well behaved and dogs clean out up after r

Doesn't mean that every one is happy to have a dog jump up at them.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
I like dogs.
We pitched up in France couple of years ago with 2 grandkids. Every morning and evening we had a visit from a dog leaving a large calling card. Grandkids treading in it drove me mad. I asked the owner in my good enough broken French to keep her dog and its merde away. Next day here it comes again, it got toe ended back home and I shovelled up the merde and deposited it back on their pitch. Only to be told i was disgusting!!!!

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
On the Tewkesbury Site last year, a collie very friendly dog, running loose, came bounding over and jumped up, my hand boxed it's ear about halfway up, knocking it away, it tried again, and got the same result.:boxing:
Cue shouting Rant from owner,:swear2: I waited till he finished, then told him I was going to reception to report his Dog was off the lead.:moon2:
I was then no longer a dog hating sadist, but an effing grass.
Warden came and had a word with him, he got all uptight, and packed up and left the Site. He gave me the finger as he left, I blew him a kiss,:lips: so in the space of about 2-3 hours I went from Dog hater to Grass to Poof:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Is it? In what way is it clear?
The dog was jumping up and Rangi felt compelled to stop it. It seems to me that it is clear that the dog was perceived as a threat.

The fact that he states that it's very friendly?? Does that answer your question?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I like dogs.
We pitched up in France couple of years ago with 2 grandkids. Every morning and evening we had a visit from a dog leaving a large calling card. Grandkids treading in it drove me mad. I asked the owner in my good enough broken French to keep her dog and its merde away. Next day here it comes again, it got toe ended back home and I shovelled up the merde and deposited it back on their pitch. Only to be told i was disgusting!!!!

Who told you that you were disgusting? I have been close to doing this to a dog that left similar gifts close to us.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The fact that he states that it's very friendly?? Does that answer your question?
No. It doesn't matter how friendly a dog is. If a dog jumps all over me and leaves its hairs all over my clothes it could trigger a dangerous asthma attack.
Does that answer your question?

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
No. It doesn't matter how friendly a dog is. If a dog jumps all over me and leaves its hairs all over my clothes it could trigger a dangerous asthma attack.

We're not talking about you. I'm not disputing the fact that it's wrong for a dog to jump up. I'm disturbed that people think it is ok to 1. Hit an animal and 2. Hit one that doesn't belong to them, especially when I read the situation that Rangitira wasn't coming from a feeling threatened stance.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We're not talking about you. I'm not disputing the fact that it's wrong for a dog to jump up. I'm disturbed that people think it is ok to 1. Hit an animal and 2. Hit one that doesn't belong to them, especially when I read the situation that Rangi was not feeling threatened.
Your interpretation was that Rangi was not feeling threatened. My interpretation was that Rangi was threatened enough to feel that he needed to stop the dog jumping at him.
I'm disturbed that an owner could be irresponsible enough to allow a potentially dangerous animal loose as he did.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I would be more worried about people hitting dogs that they own than don't.

We're not talking about you. I'm not disputing the fact that it's wrong for a dog to jump up. I'm disturbed that people think it is ok to 1. Hit an animal and 2. Hit one that doesn't belong to them, especially when I read the situation that Rangitira wasn't coming from a feeling threatened stance.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Your interpretation was that Rangi was not feeling threatened. My interpretation was that Rangi was threatened enough to feel that he needed to stop the dog jumping at him.
I'm disturbed that an owner could be irresponsible enough to allow a potentially dangerous animal loose as he did.

We do agree on something....it is very irresponsible and illegal to have a dog loose and not under control in a public place.

It's the humans that need training, not the abuse of loose dogs.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We do agree on something....it is very irresponsible and illegal to have a dog loose and not under control in a public place.

It's the humans that need training, not the abuse of loose dogs.
So what are people supposed to do knowing the dangers as described?
My son has been bitten by three "friendly", "lovely" dogs. He has a fear based on bad experiences.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
[
I wouldn't hesitate to do what is required.

I'm totally with you on that. If a dog, of any apparent disposition, jumped up on me I would have no hesitation in doing whatever is necessary to prevent it doing so or get it off.
Any complaints or criticism from it's owners would get short shrift from me since it was their lack of control of their animal that caused the incident.

I also love dog threads :)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Dog owners hey!

A dog jumping up at you is a bloody menace.

A sure sign of owners who haven't trained their dog.

I love some dogs and hate, with a deep loathing, others.

Nice, friendly, well trained dogs are great. Just like kids!

How about a thread about yapping dogs smoking, running gennies, parking too bloody close and dropping their poo and wee wee everywhere?

JJ :cool:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I would like to know too.
I was nearly assaulted by a dog owner that objected to me using my knee to push his sopping wet dog away from me and my boys. The dog ran out of a lake and wanted to sniff around us before shaking itself dry next to us. The owner objected to me pushing his dog away. What would have been the best way to deal with the situation?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Have a read of this ;)

Broken Link Removed
"They range from telling the dog to go away to severely wounding or killing the dog."

It is the owner's responsibility to control the dog. It is not up to the victim to study and learn the content of an Internet article.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Not sure any dog owners on here are advocating letting their dogs run loose jumping on people..
But its easy to make a group of people bite if you stereotype isn't it..
Trouble is.. it always becomes a little personal.. Which may suit some I spose
Dog threads always go this way

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
"They range from telling the dog to go away to severely wounding or killing the dog.

The latter being a life or death situation....something that this topic is not describing.

Yes, it is the owners responsibility to control a dog but you asked what people are supposed to do.

I thought it was an interesting article but hey ho!

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Dog-dazers are apparently effective. They are a device which emits a high frequency sound. Often recommended for people cycling in places like Turkey where dogs can be a real menace to people passing on the road. Here is one: Harmless to the dog, but apparently effective in most cases - no good if the dog is deaf of course!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I think this says it all??

Disclaimer: You do have some choices to make when you encounter a unleashed dog. There is no way anyone can tell you which is the right choice. These are suggestions and ideas gleaned from experience and from research. They are NOT prescriptions for protection. These are options from which you can choose (sometimes in a split second) and can in no way be construed as advice of what you should do. The only way you know if it was the right choice was if no one gets hurt, and that, unfortunately, is after the fact. There are risks in any situation where you are dealing with a dog that is approaching you.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
What am I supposed to do if I am faced with a potential serious health threat because of the irresponsibility of a dog owner?
Well, reading this...................................Give the dog a yum yum, and kick seven sh**s out of the owner! It seems that assault on a person is hardly mentioned these days, but raise a hand to a dog......:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back