Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
I am seriously thinking of selling it and giving up because it is doing my head in.
I don't spend time screwing my car back together after every trip, and it didn't cost anywhere near what the MH did. The money manufacturers expect you to lay out for your "hobby" and the shoddy goods/aftersales don't equate somehow.
I could have loads of flash holidays where all I have to do is turn up and someone will look after me, for the amount I paid for a wheeled shed. :Angry:

Sorry to hear of your troubles it is rumoured that Autotrail use only
ex R.E.Fitters.:ROFLMAO:

Seriously though a problem anything is not worth putting up with
why not Upgrade(Downgrade) to a better built older van and cut out the aggro.

I take it you have given your dealer a hard time publicly
if not do so rguardless of rights or wrong of the Warranty
they should have done something see previous thread on
Lowdham & Complaints.

Best Wishes Either Way

Roger:Smile:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Sorry to hear of your troubles it is rumoured that Autotrail use only
ex R.E.Fitters.:ROFLMAO:

Seriously though a problem anything is not worth putting up with
why not Upgrade(Downgrade) to a better built older van and cut out the aggro.

I take it you have given your dealer a hard time publicly
if not do so rguardless of rights or wrong of the Warranty
they should have done something see previous thread on
Lowdham & Complaints.

Best Wishes Either Way

Roger:Smile:

I think calling them fitters is paying a compliment they don't deserve (Auto-Trails, that is).

I haven't lambasted the dealer yet as they are at least trying to get everything sorted and help as much as they can. It is the factory that are dragging their heals over the warranty stuff. I followed the "Lowdhams Affair" and at the moment don't think that is the way to go just yet. Although I was looking for a suitable parking place when I was at the dealers.

I have decided to repair all of the woodwork and niggley jobs myself, but tell them what I am doing so that they are aware of the problems. The warranty stuff I will just have to keep fighting for.
The problem with the British is that we are not a nation of complainers when something is not as it should be. If the problems I have highlighted to the factory were highlighted by everyone else, instead of just "getting on with it", something may be done to sort them out. They can't fix something if they don't know it is broken.
I am not defending manufacturers, because as I know in my own case, there are some problems that they seem to be in denial about.

I won't be buying another MH of any age or make after this one. If I do decide that I need one it will be a self build, so at least I will know who to blame if it goes wrong. I am afraid that for me, this hobby is like banging your head against a brick wall. It's nice when you stop.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There was a time you could pick up older quality built vans in Germany for little money. But even the Germans have got the same problems with build quality on newer vans. The older quality built vans that used to be cheap are now fetching premium money over there. Its not just British built vans that are suffering from poor build quality. In years gone bye the quality builders had it all there own way as there was little or no competition, now everyone and his uncle are building motorhomes and cutting prices. When something is built to a price quality goes out the window. I keep hearing of new building techniques and newer building materials, but how much have these new techniques and materials been tested. Everyone wants lighter vans to give more payload so its hardly surprising that these new lightweight vans wont stand up to the rigours of every day use. The van am running at the moment grosses at 4.6 tons and is under 7 metres long, it weighs 3.5 tons empty. I have seen 7 metre vans at 3.5 tons gross. Sorry but you cant have it both ways, something has to be compromised when you want payload in a lightweight van. If these modern vans are falling apart now, what are they going to be like in 20 years time. My van is still all original and as good as the day it left the factory 23 years ago, and with 170000 kms on the clock it has hardly been sitting around doing nothing in those 23 years.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
The problem with the British is that we are not a nation of complainers when something is not as it should be. If the problems I have highlighted to the factory were highlighted by everyone else, instead of just "getting on with it", something may be done to sort them out. They can't fix something if they don't know it is broken.
I am not defending manufacturers, because as I know in my own case, [HI]there are some problems that they seem to be in denial about[/HI].

Exactly. At the moment, Hobby are in denial that they can't/won't fit TecTowers properly. They just say they are fitted in accordance with Dometic's instructions - when they obviously aren't or they wouldn't be draughty! I could say I'm Cameron Diaz - wouldn't take much to work out I'm not! :RollEyes:

I am perfectly capable of making a nuisance of myself until Hobby sort this issue out. :winky:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Exactly. At the moment, Hobby are in denial that they can't/won't fit TecTowers properly. They just say they are fitted in accordance with Dometic's instructions - when they obviously aren't or they wouldn't be draughty![HI] I could say I'm Cameron Diaz - wouldn't take much to work out I'm not! :RollEyes:[/HI]

I am perfectly capable of making a nuisance of myself until Hobby sort this issue out. :winky:

I could only tell cos she carnt speak proper English tha knows:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I could only tell cos she carnt speak proper English tha knows:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

amoureuxx.gif

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Well today the screws holding the fire extinguisher bracket were found "pulled out"? On a Mohawk this is mounted on front panel of nearside bench seat behind passenger seat. Extinguisher is heavyish and to our knowledge nothing we've done could have caused this to happen.

I've a theory its again 1 down to the very light fibreboard panels and 2 I'm wondering if an over zealous assembler with a power driver has over tightened the 2 bracket screws? Tried plugging holes with matchsticks/cocktail sticks to no avail, screws pulled out as I tried to clip in the tightly fitting extinguisher. Resorted to same fix as kitchen cupboard, drilled out holes to suit small plastic rawl plugs I have with me (were on tour at the mo and fibreboard is so light this can be done with just the drill bit held lightly in the jaws of a pair of small pliers) Plugs then cut to length to depth of holes and cemented in place using araldite. Have left overnight for a better cure so will refit bits tomorrow.

If this is not satisfactory I'll drill through panel and make up aluminium spreader plates then fit small through bolts.

I shouldn't have to perform mods such as this to a £60 k van barely 3 months old :Angry::Angry::Angry:

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Well today the screws holding the fire extinguisher bracket were found "pulled out"? On a Mohawk this is mounted on front panel of nearside bench seat behind passenger seat. Extinguisher is heavyish and to our knowledge nothing we've done could have caused this to happen.

I've a theory its again 1 down to the very light fibreboard panels and 2 I'm wondering if an over zealous assembler with a power driver has over tightened the 2 bracket screws? Tried plugging holes with matchsticks/cocktail sticks to no avail, screws pulled out as I tried to clip in the tightly fitting extinguisher. Resorted to same fix as kitchen cupboard, drilled out holes to suit small plastic rawl plugs I have with me (were on tour at the mo and fibreboard is so light this can be done with just the drill bit held lightly in the jaws of a pair of small pliers) Plugs then cut to length to depth of holes and cemented in place using araldite. Have left overnight for a better cure so will refit bits tomorrow.

If this is not satisfactory I'll drill through panel and make up aluminium spreader plates then fit small through bolts.

I shouldn't have to perform mods such as this to a £60 k van barely 3 months old :Angry::Angry::Angry:

Sorry you are having these problems but it does seem to be backing up my own thoughts on Auto-Trail cost cutting/penny pinching/shoddy workmanship.
Do they not listen to the paying public ? It can only harm their reputation.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I can understand the build quality issues - maybe pride isn't like it used to be or more like profits and time are tight and corners cut when detail comes into things.

On three occasions now I have been asked to carry out rewiring to a converters vehicles where wiring has been fitted that is not suitable to make the equipment run, let alone run efficiently - it left me quite shocked that it even got to the sale stage in that condition, proving to me at least that the effected device was not checked on either completion or quality control.

I often find the better built are around 2000 era, after around 03/04 depending on converter, they standards do fall off. Much is to do with economy - but as you say, it makes no difference to a screw being fitted properly! It will be fitted, so do it right!

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Watched the Caravan Finder programme on Monday night :Blush: and it included a visit to the Adria factory. At each point on the production line the person receiving the van has the authorisation to send it back to the previous person if something is not right. So they are their own quality control as it happens.

Seems like a good idea to me.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
All the quality control in the world wont make fibreboard and plywood into solid wood.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
The fibreboard AT are now using is so light its almost balsa wood. Its a definite that in years to come the present generation of vans will not stand the test of time and will look decidedly shabby and well used on dealer forecourts despite how well we try to look after them.:Angry:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
All the quality control in the world wont make fibreboard and plywood into solid wood.

The fibreboard AT are now using is so light its almost balsa wood. Its a definite that in years to come the present generation of vans will not stand the test of time and will look decidedly shabby and well used on dealer forecourts despite how well we try to look after them.:Angry:

I agree with you both.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The door and walls are 3" thick, constructed of an outer skin of fibreglass, then aluminium, then marine ply, then expanded foam, then aluminium, then marine ply. The furniture is all solid wood with hardwood edge trims. This van cost more than a house when new and there was no possibility of me ever buying a new one. When it became over 20 years old I could not refuse it at 13K. The wiring is all in trunking and heavy duty, like an aircraft. All the wiring is fed through a shunt and there is a factory fitted 2KW pure sine wave inverter to run the factory fitted microwave. A 12 volt Travel-cool airco keeps you cool without running the batteries down. It comes with stainless steel taps, not plastic, and porcelain sink in the bathroom. It comes with Aberspacher diesel heater as well as Truma blown gas heating and is FULLY winterised, even the cab windows are double glazed. There is no naked flame inside the van, the cooker is a Cramer Dometic ceramic hob with the heat ducted through the wardrobe, to keep your clothes warm. These older quality built vans are becoming as rare as hens teeth as even the Germans are reluctant to sell them now. These older vans have stood the test of time and are still doing what they were built to do over 20 years ago. OK they are not as powerful or as fuel efficient as modern vans, but they make up for it by being able to burn recycled chip fat :thumb:. There is also a good chance they will still be running in another 20 years time and not turned into a washing machine that needs replacing every 12 months.

Attachments

• RMB 017.jpg
    RMB 017.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 37
  • RMB 013.jpg
    RMB 013.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 37
  • RMB 011.jpg
    RMB 011.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 36
  • RMB 015.jpg
    RMB 015.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 37
  • RMB 012.jpg
    RMB 012.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 37

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
or you could spend less and have a self build . only had mine 13 years . changed the truck but the trailer is an 87. might be around longer than most m,homes . easy to repair if needed . goes every where i want it to . and i dont have to tow a car behind .

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Seems they talk the talk, but dont walk the walk when it comes to that exclusive quality:Doh:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCFjRa3VFVM"]AUTO-TRAIL FACTORY TOUR - YouTube[/ame]

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
All motorhomes are shoddy!

It's the industry standard!!!

If you want a well made van, find £150k and spend it on a Concorde or Niesmann + Bischoff!:roflmto:

last year I bought a s/h vcube of a guy who had done just that, he said he was fed up with taking it back to the suppling dealer, and that both van and dealer was rubish, his words not mine

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Generally pleased with the build quality of my Hobby but my main issue at the moment is with the Dometic Tec-Tower installation - this is the tall fridge/freezer/oven unit.

Pleased to report that the draughts/fumes issue with the TecTower has finally been resolved - by removing and re-installing it properly. However I had to fight all the way to get it done. Have posted a separate thread in the Fridges & Ovens section as I learnt a lot along the way that might be useful to others. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back