LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I today 11.07.2017 ordered a Victron solar controller for £177 paid by cc and started to wait for my delivery tomorrow, some time tomorrow, but I got an email from a nice lady telling me that as I have not included a phone number she could not proceed with my order as it is company policy that all orders over a certain amount requires the customer to have a home phone number, and as I have not got a home phone number any more as I cannot afford both, I only have a mobile number, (that I am just changing over to a new phone and needed a new type of nano sim card) so phone out of order for 48 hours according to 3 provider, Therefore they cannot fulfil my order until I provide a landline number which I have not got, therefore I have had to cancel my order and ask for a full refund on the £177 that I paid on my cc.
I must comment on the courtesy of the lady I emailed over this order and she was very professional in her service to me unlike the company she works for, I now have to reorder my item from another supplier who wants my business and does not have such a stupid policy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
I can assure you I will never order from this company again with such a stupid policy of customer's have to have a home phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So beware all you Hundreds of thousands of budding customers out there that have no home phone, don't bother to order anything from this company if its going to cost over £130 as you are just wasting your time as you wont get it and you will have to ask for a refund and go elsewhere. What a unprofessional company in this day and age, they obviously have to many customers and could not care less about how many customers they have. You have been warned . (although you will get a good professional service from there email recipient) Rant over
Garry Scott

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I can fully understand your frustration but do remember the battery is classed as dangerous goods in transit and most if not all carriers require contact phone numbers

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I can fully understand your frustration but do remember the battery is classed as dangerous goods in transit and most if not all carriers require contact phone numbers
OK but he did not order a battery.
I recently tried to clain on warranty with Battery Mega store. After telling me they would replace the battery but needed to me return it at a cost of £20.
They took my money and then called me back to say they would not replace it under warranty.
They are of my list of suppliers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I recently tried to clain on warranty with Battery Mega store. After telling me they would replace the battery but needed to me return it at a cost of £20.
They took my money and then called me back to say they would not replace it under warranty.

Ask them to send it back ;)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
£177!! What do you get for that kind of money. My £36 dual battery controller definitely charges both my batteries and has done for 3 years

OP
OP
flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009

Yes but this is not a battery only a controller and they wanted a home number only !!!!!!!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I suspect that the company has been burned by fraudulent customers buying batteries with stolen or fictitious credit cards so the sales gets reversed once the credit card company's real customers complain. Battery Megastore will then have provided goods with no sale proceeds - not something that you can do very often before going bust. Having a phone number enables some checking to be done. Not all companies can afford adequate credit card security protection. Their company, their products, their rules. Sorry you were inconvenienced but I can also sympathise with Battery Megastore with whom I have dealt with twice satisfactorily.

OP
OP
flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
£177!! What do you get for that kind of money. My £36 dual battery controller definitely charges both my batteries and has done for 3 years

It was a Victron 30A controller and are considered pretty good unlike the chines rubbish I have now getting overheated don't like it so thought I would get a good one

OP
OP
flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I suspect that the company has been burned by fraudulent customers buying batteries with stolen or fictitious credit cards so the sales gets reversed once the credit card company's real customers complain. Battery Megastore will then have provided goods with no sale proceeds - not something that you can do very often before going bust. Having a phone number enables some checking to be done. Not all companies can afford adequate credit card security protection. Their company, their products, their rules. Sorry you were inconvenienced but I can also sympathise with Battery Megastore with whom I have dealt with twice satisfactorily.

I have dealt with them before myself and had a battery delivered to my home ok so I am not a new customer and they know I exist so don't need to have further checks on me, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Mine is Chinese but at 30a, so with only my 2x125w it is never over loaded. I'm more than happy and could replace it 6 times before I'm out of pocket.
I'll take my chances with the cheap Chinese:drinks:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its a nuisance not having a land-line phone sometimes ... I've got a Vantage credit card and at the time was asked for a land-line phone number and as we had one I was able to give it, no problem and I got the card ... hubby, however, applied after me and as we then didn't have a land-line phone he was rejected! He even rang them up and explained that I had a card and he wanted to get one too but didn't have a land-line number and was told, in effect 'tough' ... no land-line, no card!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I haven't had a landline since the mid-90s and have never had a problem.
If someone insists on an 01- number, I just make one up!
No-one checks, evidently :)
Only problem with that is if it's a financial product you're applying for the info might be used to check against your credit file so you'd be rejected.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Only problem with that is if it's a financial product you're applying for the info might be used to check against your credit file so you'd be rejected.

I have taken various loans, credit cards and bank accounts without any problem.
I used to work in a job where my team credit checked hundreds of people every week and I don't ever recall checking landline telephone numbers.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I have taken various loans, credit cards and bank accounts without any problem.
I used to work in a job where my team credit checked hundreds of people every week and I don't ever recall checking landline telephone numbers.
Try applying for a Vantage card and NOT putting a landline number ...

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Try applying for a Vantage card and NOT putting a landline number ...

But how about putting an invented number?
Did anyone check your landline number was valid?

P.S. I'm sure you are a fine, upstanding model of probity but I have no qualms about lying to putative authority :D

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013

P.S. I'm sure you are a fine, upstanding model of probity but I have no qualms about lying to putative authority :D

My local chippie invited me to phone in my order as we like plaice which are always cooked to order so I would not have to wait for them to be cooked. Last time I ordered I got a callback to check that the order was valid. Even 2 unwanted plaice if it was bogus was a potential loss not worth risking.

I have to say that I guard my mobile number closely and have given incorrect information if insisted upon on a website when it is not necessary i.e. I had already given my landline number.

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
I have a raft of numbers from auto diallers, unsolicited sales calls and the like that I've blocked on my mobile- I use one of them if absolutely pushed.
That's a call I'd like to eavesdrop on..
:D

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I today 11.07.2017 ordered a Victron solar controller for £177 paid by cc and started to wait for my delivery tomorrow, some time tomorrow, but I got an email from a nice lady telling me that as I have not included a phone number she could not proceed with my order as it is company policy that all orders over a certain amount requires the customer to have a home phone number, and as I have not got a home phone number any more as I cannot afford both, I only have a mobile number, (that I am just changing over to a new phone and needed a new type of nano sim card) so phone out of order for 48 hours according to 3 provider, Therefore they cannot fulfil my order until I provide a landline number which I have not got, therefore I have had to cancel my order and ask for a full refund on the £177 that I paid on my cc.
I must comment on the courtesy of the lady I emailed over this order and she was very professional in her service to me unlike the company she works for, I now have to reorder my item from another supplier who wants my business and does not have such a stupid policy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
I can assure you I will never order from this company again with such a stupid policy of customer's have to have a home phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So beware all you Hundreds of thousands of budding customers out there that have no home phone, don't bother to order anything from this company if its going to cost over £130 as you are just wasting your time as you wont get it and you will have to ask for a refund and go elsewhere. What a unprofessional company in this day and age, they obviously have to many customers and could not care less about how many customers they have. You have been warned . (although you will get a good professional service from there email recipient) Rant over
Garry Scott
Have a look at this one, German , I have one , works absolutely perfect.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=311908754907&globalID=EBAY-GB

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Well, taking on board your 'advice' I just applied online on behalf of hubby for a card and put my Mum's landline number in ... the 'problem' though is that they call you to confirm your application so I was just about to ring my Mum to warn her they might ring her tomorrow (so that she could say he'd popped out and to ring him on his mobile number) when hubby's mobile rang and it was them even though they are supposed to be closed from 9.00 pm! :eek:

Fortunately I managed to relay to him what it was all about and after confirming the answers to the online application questions he's been approved! :D2 Thank goodness they rang the mobile and not the landline number!!! :confused:

The card will be sent out tomorrow and it means that once he's spent on it we'll both get £25 rewards! (y) He can use it for buying his tents etc so he can keep track of them easily! :)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
@flatpackchicken
Suggest you sign up for a free 0871 number to use as your landline - calls are routed to your mobile and you get a slice of the premium rate fee*
[*obviously only give out this number to businesses, call centres & sales people - not friends & family]

https://www.telecomsworldplc.co.uk/0871numbers

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp

Even so their delivery contract probably is a blanket one to ensure that battery rules are always met.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have a look at this one, German , I have one , works absolutely perfect.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=311908754907&globalID=EBAY-GB
Like the cheap one mentioned on the first page it works, I don't doubt it, but they are not MPPT so you won't get the full potential from your solar panel. In some circumstances an MPPT will give nearly 50% more power than a basic controller which drags the panel voltage down to the same as the battery voltage. The better controllers like the Victron also use a daily charging cycle to maximise battery life.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back