Random loss of power (2 Viewers)

Oct 16, 2016
Birmingahm
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
I'm very glad that you found the problem and that it was an Easy fix. I agree with TerryL shame it was found sooner. Happy future travels..

Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
If you catch the brake pedal with accelerator pedal , when doing a quick gear hand it can go into like limp mode , until you take both feet of the accelerator and clutch and brake pedals

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
If you catch the brake pedal with accelerator pedal , when doing a quick gear hand it can go into like limp mode , until you take both feet of the accelerator and clutch and brake pedals
Ooohh.....is this really a thing. Yesterday my 2021 Fiat MH had no power. Foot to the floor but still de accelerating. I pulled over but noticed that rather than the engine dying itt was just ticking over gently. Drive off and all was fine.

Interestingly, just prior to this I had heard a squeak which I thought might be brake pads rubbing. While cruising along I touched the brake pedal to see if it made it to away. I think that's when this happened. Removed my door from the brake but obviously kept my foot on the accelerator until we had stopped.

Hope that was the cause as I'm in the middle of a trip in Germany and it's got me a little nervous.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Ooohh.....is this really a thing. Yesterday my 2021 Fiat MH had no power. Foot to the floor but still de accelerating. I pulled over but noticed that rather than the engine dying itt was just ticking over gently. Drive off and all was fine.

Interestingly, just prior to this I had heard a squeak which I thought might be brake pads rubbing. While cruising along I touched the brake pedal to see if it made it to away. I think that's when this happened. Removed my door from the brake but obviously kept my foot on the accelerator until we had stopped.

Hope that was the cause as I'm in the middle of a trip in Germany and it's got me a little nervous.
Is it an auto? Touching the brake at all kills the power. I had it happen when driving with a big pair of hiking boots. I was trying to pull away from a round about while the side if my boot was touching the brake pedal.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

yes common problem ,especially on autos. It used to happen on my mpv & it would also do it without my foot anywhere near the brake ,when travelling on extremely rough services /potholes as the brake pedal would jolt off the stop .

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Is it an auto? Touching the brake at all kills the power. I had it happen when driving with a big pair of hiking boots. I was trying to pull away from a round about while the side if my boot was touching the brake pedal.

No - not an auto.

Did a little search and yes this is normal behaviour for the Fiat Ducato.

Oct 15, 2022
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato Dethleff
On several occasions over the last year, our Fiat Ducato 2.3 Multijet 150 Motorhome has completely lost power. Fortunately, this has happened whilst driving on local roads at no more than 30-35 mph. The first time was last July, we were able to find a lay-by and were rescued to a local garage who ran some onboard diagnostics and took it for a couple of test runs and said they couldn't find anything wrong. We had a few trips after this without incidence. In February this year, the Motorhome had a full service / MOT (at a different garage) before we set off on another trouble-free trip. Then, when taking it back to storage, another loss of power. Accelerator full to the floor, but no revs. Luckily, we were again able to limp along to a lay-by. After waiting 5 minutes, the problems seemed to sort itself out and back in to storage she went. Today, we decided to check the MH out and within 100 metres another loss of power, this time more severe and even stalled. I manged to inch it back to storage in first gear but with very little power. This time I noticed the amber engine warning light was on with the displayed error message"check engine". I've ordered an OBD 2 Diagnostic Scanner to see if that reveals anything before being put at the mercy of another expensive garage / Fiat dealer. I've found a couple of old threads in this forum but was wondering if anyone else could shed any light on this issue and potential guidance? One last point of note, I've notice average mpg has dropped about 15% recently.

Dec 18, 2017
Lowestoft UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 524
Exp
since 2003
On several occasions over the last year, our Fiat Ducato 2.3 Multijet 150 Motorhome has completely lost power. Fortunately, this has happened whilst driving on local roads at no more than 30-35 mph. The first time was last July, we were able to find a lay-by and were rescued to a local garage who ran some onboard diagnostics and took it for a couple of test runs and said they couldn't find anything wrong. We had a few trips after this without incidence. In February this year, the Motorhome had a full service / MOT (at a different garage) before we set off on another trouble-free trip. Then, when taking it back to storage, another loss of power. Accelerator full to the floor, but no revs. Luckily, we were again able to limp along to a lay-by. After waiting 5 minutes, the problems seemed to sort itself out and back in to storage she went. Today, we decided to check the MH out and within 100 metres another loss of power, this time more severe and even stalled. I manged to inch it back to storage in first gear but with very little power. This time I noticed the amber engine warning light was on with the displayed error message"check engine". I've ordered an OBD 2 Diagnostic Scanner to see if that reveals anything before being put at the mercy of another expensive garage / Fiat dealer. I've found a couple of old threads in this forum but was wondering if anyone else could shed any light on this issue and potential guidance? One last point of note, I've notice average mpg has dropped about 15% recently.
Hello, I have just had a read of your post. I realise it was written some time ago, but reading it was like you were in my motorhome yesterday.
I went to France last weekend to have a 5/6 week trip on my own. Had the issue you describe. I have UK and EU breakdown and repatriation so I went through with the crossing. Newhaven/Dieppe. Off the boat, through customs and out of the terminal.
I travelled up the hill during which I had exactly what you described. It did that three times before the next roundabout, and I thought, back to the dock. Cut to the chase ended up back in Newhaven.
I had the AA take me back to Lowestoft, and another AA patrol man has diagnosed tested the vehicle.
As you say, no problem so this weekend I decided to tr y it again. Had a lovely trip up to Potter Heigham no problem.
COMING BACK, well that is a another story. I was lucky to get it home.
Could you please tell me if you resolved the issue, and if so what was the cause.
As you are aware if you call Fiat professional (that's a laugh) you have to sell your house to pay the bill because they cannot find it.
Kind regards,
Trevor.

Dec 18, 2017
Lowestoft UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 524
Exp
since 2003
kingspeed If it any help you can see the answer to the problem mavisnderek had , it can be found in post 27 on page 1 (Prev) of the replies.
Thank you. I have to say I have checked all I can and still nothing.
I have had to book it in at a local Fiat Professional garage for a week on Wednesday.
I rang Fiat customer services today and told them "last one for me now" they said they will give me a case number and I am to ring them when it is in the workshops, and they will talk to them. We will see.
As a matter of interest my motorhome is 2018 Swift Bessacarr 524. Only 3500 miles from new. Garaged from new.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just a comment and no criticism intended - but that's a very low mileage. In my experience, and I'm sure more professional folk than me might agree, a lack of use can often lead to mysterious problems. These are commercial engines, built to do thousands of miles a month.
Always been a fan of the "Italian Tune-up"!

Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7086f
Exp
Hi what Terry L said is very true. A. Vehicle sitting about is not good When I bought my 2.8 Fiat Ducato/Rapido7086f it was 8years old and had sat in storage 95%of it life and I had the same problems The garage eventually found after trying all the usual things ie blocked filters ECT ECT the actuator rod the opens and shuts the wast gate in the turbo was sticking A good clean and oiling fixed the problem We use the van regular and have had no problems since

Dec 18, 2017
Lowestoft UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 524
Exp
since 2003
Hi what Terry L said is very true. A. Vehicle sitting about is not good When I bought my 2.8 Fiat Ducato/Rapido7086f it was 8years old and had sat in storage 95%of it life and I had the same problems The garage eventually found after trying all the usual things ie blocked filters ECT ECT the actuator rod the opens and shuts the wast gate in the turbo was sticking A good clean and oiling fixed the problem We use the van regular and have had no problems since
Thank you for the reply's.
I will be going to my garage next week to go through all the suggestions.
I have, as I say got it booked into a Fiat Pro next week. Hopefully I can find something to point at, and say that the little bugger.
If I do not find something conclusive I will not trust the thing again. I have, like a lot of us been reading tails of this issue for a while now.
Have you noticed, not one person has said it was "that" which caused the problem (with the obvious exception of the dead mouse). Lots of owners have had, or have got the problem. We have yet to find a definitive cause.
As many have said, I just hope we are not keeping Fiat Pro in the manner to which they have become accustom.
I have been talking to Fiat, but when I told them what was happening and asked them if they had records of this happening they said no. That is the same reply I got from the dealer it is going to next week.
trust me, and watch this space.
When I have been to the garage I will post the findings, or not !
I'll be back. (To be said in a strong broken Austrian accent)🔫 🛺
Regards Trevor.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Your symptoms are reminiscent of the problem I had some years ago. Fiat Professional identified and changed the throttle body which at the time was a known problem. However the design was changed around 2010 and I don't think I've ever heard about it since.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back