lallymc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
Exp
1 year
Hi guys

After finally making the decision to keep motorhome we must sort out our biggest problem. The dog ! Maxy is a 13 year old retriever with muscle wastage. He can no longer jump up and down the step and totally refuses to use a ramp.
Has anybody else had this problem. If so how did you resolve it ?

Thanks

Leanne

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi guys

After finally making the decision to keep motorhome we must sort out our biggest problem. The dog ! Maxy is a 13 year old retriever with muscle wastage. He can no longer jump up and down the step and totally refuses to use a ramp.
Has anybody else had this problem. If so how did you resolve it ?

Thanks

Leanne
Why won't he use a ramp? If you can I'd persist with training him to use it with treats - put the ramp just a little bit off the ground at first and gradually raise the height until he's happy to use it at the 'right' height for the MH. One thing though, if his eyesight isn't great he might be having difficulty 'seeing' the ramp properly so you could try putting some brightly coloured tape across it so he can see it better.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The only other thing I could think of was a way to assist him by lifting with a harness of some sort so I had a shuftie on the web and found this although there are others too:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Try covering the top of the ramp with carpet. Our old retriever didn't like the ramp at first and refused to use it until we glued carpet on to it. She then was ok. Maybe the original covering didn't feel as secure to her as she was going blind too.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
My 2 use a dog ramp as the car is quite high. Holly only has 1 working back leg so she can't take off very well. The ramp is covered with rubber type carpet, giving a grippy surface. I think your dog might be ok with some treats. Try some cheese or chopped up hot dog sausage. And just keep popping it in his mouth as he gets on the other ramp and he'll keep walking for more.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have a 12 year old Labrador with a similar problem. We use a fold out ramp but she falls off it, can't seem to get her back legs to follow the fronts. We have 4 steps up into the van and our house is all arranged on the first floor, so if she wants to come in, she has to climb 13 wooden steps from the basement/ garage of 13 concrete steps outside to the front door
We have 2 solutions.
1. We use a towel under her belly in front of her back legs to help her get up steps
2. the easiest and less complained about way us to assist her back legs to get up the stairs
I get behind her and put my hands, thumbs out, right at the top of her legs under her hips to assist her back end.
She seems happier that way and will wait with front legs up the first step till I help her the rest of the way.
Getting down is another story altogether!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
What about those coats that have a handle on top, like the sort used for dogs on barges so you can lift them up out of the water if they fall in... I know labradors are quite large but I have used a coat like this for my daughter's black and white collie as she is deaf and nearly blind and very arthritic. . . just lift her up like a suitcase. :)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
These may help :)

NmNMnjL.jpg

3731022634_d86f11e009.jpg

Or maybe adapt a cat carrier :)

zIcv2OMs.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We got a fold up ramp for our ageing retriever. We have a small single step up from the patron into the kitchen and left it there for several days and had his food bowl in the kitchen.. He initally refused to use the ramp but then obviously got hungry and started using it.

We then went away in the van and he was good as gold. Takes a little time but we got there in the end and we are all happier..

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Alan made my dog a ramp, he wouldn't go up it at first but I just persevered. As minxy said put a few treats on it to encourage your dog and try and keep it low to get the dog used to walking on it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back