Ramp for ebike (1 Viewer)

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I want a ramp for getting my ebike up into the garage. The one for the rack is too narrow and hasn’t got a deep enough channel to prevent the front wheel turning and falling out while I am trying to load it. It’s a right pita, all the movement is on the front, and the weight on the back, most of the time the whole bloody thing falls off, and it’s so heavy and awards to lift on again. I’m beginning to avoid taking the bikes out because of it.

Can anyone recommend anything easier to use? It will be going into a garage, and not on a rack anymore, if that makes a difference. I’m not sure if I want a wider ramp, or just a deeper one to contain the wheel. I don’t need a motorbike one, but they seem to be the most widely available, and if the wheelchair ones I used to use are anything to go by, pretty heavy and awkward as well.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
A dead easy solution. Get a velcro strap and strap the front wheel to the frame to stop it turning. Then lift the front of the bike onto the channel, once in place lift the rear wheel and slide the bike forward along the channel, but now it shouldn't jump out of the channel.

Ours are a bit easier as they are folding bikes and I only fold the handlebars which fold down sideways, so I can strap the handlebars to the frame to stop the forks turning, yet the front wheel is still free to turn.

Macca1954

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
I want a ramp for getting my ebike up into the garage. The one for the rack is too narrow and hasn’t got a deep enough channel to prevent the front wheel turning and falling out while I am trying to load it. It’s a right pita, all the movement is on the front, and the weight on the back, most of the time the whole bloody thing falls off, and it’s so heavy and awards to lift on again. I’m beginning to avoid taking the bikes out because of it.

Can anyone recommend anything easier to use? It will be going into a garage, and not on a rack anymore, if that makes a difference. I’m not sure if I want a wider ramp, or just a deeper one to contain the wheel. I don’t need a motorbike one, but they seem to be the most widely available, and if the wheelchair ones I used to use are anything to go by, pretty heavy and awkward as well.
Ime in Southport got a pair of taxi mobility ramps I bought for my scooter but never used. One of these would suit you they are about 12 inches wide with side uprites. The extend from about 3 ft to about 6 ally so dead light. If a funster is up this way you can have one

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Probably find you won't need a ramp, lift the rear wheel in then just push holding the handle bars. Detachable peddles makes getting bikes in & out a lot easier.

Reactions: DBK

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I have a fiamma motorcycle ramp.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
. Never
used it. Looking for £50 + postage. Or collect from near Chichester.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
What about taking the battery out to lighten it a bit.
Then strap the handle bars in place in a straight line.

Just a thought ?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Probably find you won't need a ramp, lift the rear wheel in then just push holding the handle bars. Detachable peddles makes getting bikes in & out a lot easier.
No need for removable pedals ,,you can buy folding ones,,BUSBY.

OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Never thought of strapping the front wheel, I will definitely try that! I think I’ll still need a ramp, it will need to go front wheel first because of the thingy that connects to my daughter’s bike on the rear wheel. I usually take the battery off for travel, it’s just that I need to hold the front and the back at the same time, and I can’t reach with enough force to lift at the same time.

Macca1954 that’s really kind. We may be sailing to the Isle of Man in a week or so, and if we do I’ll be in touch. It depends on when the new van is ready, and when VanBitz can fit me in. And if I ever get this work project finished.....

I do have folding pedals, but I haven’t fitted them yet. It would definitely make things less of a jigsaw. Such a pity you can’t get a quick release folding handlebar arrangement.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Never thought of strapping the front wheel, I will definitely try that! I think I’ll still need a ramp, it will need to go front wheel first because of the thingy that connects to my daughter’s bike on the rear wheel. I usually take the battery off for travel, it’s just that I need to hold the front and the back at the same time, and I can’t reach with enough force to lift at the same time.

Macca1954 that’s really kind. We may be sailing to the Isle of Man in a week or so, and if we do I’ll be in touch. It depends on when the new van is ready, and when VanBitz can fit me in. And if I ever get this work project finished.....

I do have folding pedals, but I haven’t fitted them yet. It would definitely make things less of a jigsaw. Such a pity you can’t get a quick release folding handlebar arrangement.

You wouldn't like them quick releasing on a ride though! :frowny:

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
You just need a keen eye, a fresh battery, a sense of adventure and one of these:

sth2grayleftrearview.jpg

:cycle:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Aldi have dog ramps in currently for £20 which would also work for bikes

OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Lenny was right, I don’t need a ramp. A combination of a much lower garage, a wider floor to load onto and use the stand and a wheel guide should work just fine. It’s SO much easier than the rack!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back