Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
I don't mind anyone having their own little foibles and traditions providing it doesn't impede on anyone else and they don't want any "special" treatment.

If they want to starve themselves in the name of their religion I don't think it has anything to do with anyone. However if during this fasting they get light headed and crash their car causing injury or death they ought to be punished heavily as it was foreseeable. [HI]They should not be allowed to use Ramadan fasting as an excuse for anything that any other normal person would not get away with.[/HI]

They are as ‘normal’ as any other (Abrahamic) religious person, surely?

And do they use Ramadan fasting as a legal get out? I would have thought that this might be considered as mitigation, in some circumstances, but not a get out excuse.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Thanks Don for taking the trouble to research and post the info.

Irrespective of our views, it's an interesting read.
Cheers.:thumb:

I just want to say thank's to Don for highlighting the start of Ramadam.

:

Glad someone beat me to saying thank you to Don, for any of our newer members or newer motorhomers I would say if you come across any post from Don Madge, they are well worth taking note of, Don is one of the most experienced travellers I have ever come across who will always pass on information that could be of use to fellow motorhomers, I know we have many well informed and experienced motorhomers on the forum who will help, but Don with his vast experience comes close to the top of the tree.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Yes Don, a very informative read.
But, I am not the least bit interested. I am an atheist, and whoever, believes in whichever religion, is up to them.
Would I get massive respect for my beliefs?
All this, 'let's all show respect for someone else's religion', and 'let's not rock the boat' attitude, brasses me off. All this bowing and sucking up to people because it seems the correct thing to do annoys me, and i will say so.
People come to our country, whatever religion, and expect us, to conform to their traditions, and beliefs, whilst our traditions have to go out of the window! Try 'Blackboards', for instance, and 'Baa, Baa, black sheep'. Oh no! can't have that because we might upset someone. Crap!
Yes it may seem petty to some of you, but our traditions and beliefs are being lost and eroded slowly and surely, in favour of all this forced upon us 'unified and integrated' world we should all learn to live in!
I do not need to be told i must live in peace and harmony with everyone in the world! I will live in peace and harmony with people I like, and people who are kind. No matter what religion, colour, creed or race. It matters not a jot to me.
Now i will sit back and accept the flack, that is about to bestow itself upon me.

Craig

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Craig, yes I agree completely we all have our different opinions on religion etc and no one is forcing any opinions on anyone, but the point of these posts giving information is for people travelling in Morocco or any other country where ramadam is observed, to be aware that things may be a bit different than normal at these times, and for some who are travelling in these countries the information is of help.

If we are not travelling in these regions then its just that information that can be useful for some and worth reading certainly not trying to change anyone's way of thinking.

Not flack at all but I do think information genuinely given should be just taken for what it is.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Yes i agree Carol, entirely. It is an informative read, and should i travel to some country i am not familiar with, i would inform myself with their culture, religion, and ways of life. And respect their culture, and abide by their laws. Not a problem.
Just as anyone entering our homeland should abide and respect OUR beliefs and culture. Not scream that it upsets them and their religion, and WE should change to make them happier.
When in Rome.....................................

Craig

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I live in a multi cultural community which I am so happy to be part of . I work directly with so many different cultures who in my experience do not wish to impose their lifestyle on mine. They accept my culture/lifestyle and are happy to see me display the Union flag on my desk without considering it racist. In my experience it is the so called liberals who have a problem with my flag. I love my city / country I would defend it to to the hilt. The community I live in are happy with the uk as it is and again in my experience the so called " foreigners " be they polish, African, Asian , whoever , think the problem is with the English not being proud of their own culture. As for Ramadan , I've just return from my local curry house and the staff there are Muslim they were happy to talk about Ramadan and informed me the Ramadan was a better experience for them in this country than their country of birth. When asked why , they informed me people were happy to talk about it and it made their experience special . They didn't want to impose their beliefs/lifestyle on me it is just about accepting difference . Eid Mubarak .

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Thanks to the o/p for an informative post, its interesting to know these things.

I have many Muslim customers (most seem not to be too religious, or only when it suits them?) however I respect all faiths and have a few Muslim freinds.

Question: (possibly for hagers or other medic type funsters)

If you are a Muslim following Ramadam during this time of year (short nights, long days) and you are a diabetic who needs to eat regularly, what’s happens when you get a need for food during a hypo?

Question:(open to all)

What would happen if somebody in the situation did not eat and caused an accident of any kind, whether it be a car, or situation where making a major decision ( a doctor perhaps) and it went wrong?

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Thanks to the o/p for an informative post, its interesting to know these things.

I have many Muslim customers (most seem not to be too religious, or only when it suits them?) however I respect all faiths and have a few Muslim freinds.

Question: (possibly for hagers or other medic type funsters)

If you are a Muslim following Ramadam during this time of year (short nights, long days) and you are a diabetic who needs to eat regularly, what’s happens when you get a need for food during a hypo?

Question:(open to all)

What would happen if somebody in the situation did not eat and caused an accident of any kind, whether it be a car, or situation where making a major decision ( a doctor perhaps) and it went wrong?

Scholars are unanimously agreed that a traveller is permitted to refrain from fasting.

Allah says: “(Fasting) for a fixed number of days; but if any of you is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed number (should be made up) from days later.” [Sûrah al-Baqarah: 184]

Allah says: “...but if any one is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed period (should be made up) by days later.” [Sûrah al-Baqarah: 185]

Covers some if it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back