LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We haven't yet attended a big show rally (did Dorset - fab but small) & now we are going to Malvern (thank you RVOC(y)) wonder what to expect & would like any hints & tips from you experienced ones out there! Hopefully it will help other newbies too. Few things spring to mind to kick it off - do you take water with you (Warners suggest taking some water as pressure can be low), is there a drive in grey waste emptying point, is there somewhere to buy basics to top up food essentials on site or anywhere nearby, what items do you take to help out/join in with social gatherings? What are the things that you wished someone had told you before your first big rally? Any general info about Malvern & the area would be great too...

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
turn up fully loaded with food, drink nibbles, full water tanks if possible & most definitely empty grey tanks.
Ensure you have enough provisions to last, there is a basic shop on site but it is expensive.
They require you to take your grey home this is an issue for us as the smaller tank only copes with 2 days.
I know there are a few taps dotted around malvern from VW shows ive attended but they are still a small trek.
You can leave & go into town if you wish it requires you to break camp & re-set when you come back something we intend not to do so we are planning to start shopping now otherwise it becomes expensive on the day we leave.

Alternatively go tinned & some basic fresh turn up & enjoy it.

There is a food village @ malvern it is there permanantly & has fish & chips, Carvery, beer, burgers & there is a cafe/diner over the rear of the site seving breakfast, lunch & dinner so you wont go without as long as you have some cash, we intend to have at least one meal out around the show as it saves coming back to the motor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Wombles

Say hello to your neighbours when you arrive, I always take some water to start us off but then go walkabouts with my Aquaroll others need to park at the tap to fill with a hose others will arrive full. There is usually a convenience shop on site but there is one just up the road if you are into a mile each way. Wear your Funster badges and display name plaque in window. Grey waste is often a bucket and chuck it, dribble or take it home option can't exactly remember about Malvern.

Oh and don't forget to have fun.

Martin

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
It does sound like it pays to be prepared! We normally leave home with a fully loaded fridge & cupboards but staying in Forest Of Dean before Malvern so stocks will be depleted - will plan a detour to a supermarket now. Don't have Funster badges or name plaque yet & as booked in with RVOC don't think we automatically get Fun ones so have sent a PM to Jim requesting some as no-one knew who we were at the Dorset rally & we weren't always brave enough to introduce ourselves!

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Malvern is a themed show so expect some people to be dressed up. The organisers put a coach on to take people to town on I think friday and saturday. I think they charge for this at malvern (cant remember). There is usually an "indian settlement" set up and those involved put on various shows throughout the day.

As well as motorhome stalls there will be a range of "fancy dress and other stalls". Food on site is expensive.

Expect nothing and you will have a fabulous time.

Send a pm to landlover and you will get the rvoc badges and stuff as well

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Above all don't be shy and have a chat with anyone in the vicinity - you will make a lot of friends (especially if you look like your avatar, but they might expect you to pick up litter). Sometimes hard to do but everyone gets on and don't be shy of asking for assistance. See you there!!

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
If you want to integrate very quickly then as soon as you arrive and park up, open the bonnet and stand back scratching your head. You will immediately be surrounded by people wondering what the problem us and eager to offer their opinion on what the problem might be and how to fix it.

Hillbum

Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
One year
Great original post, asked the questions we wanted to.
Hope its not too late to join Funsters at Malvern, could not book before and still cannot now. Too many hospital appointments this month and awaiting another now.

I keep going into the Kennel (MH) to change something here, add something there and desperate to get away. Even SWMBO is saying the same and normally have to encourage her. Loves it on the road, hates planning and getting ready.

Just fitted a 12v power point in the back, over the bed, to take my CPAP machine when not on EHU (like Malvern) only to find it lit up the whole bed area. It was a clear plastic unit with a blue LED, not allowed any light in bedroom, even have to cover up the standby on the tv!

Replaced the unit with one that only has a pinpoint light which can be blu-tacked (like the fridge).

Hope to say hello to some of you at Malvern.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just fitted a 12v power point in the back, over the bed, to take my CPAP machine when not on EHU.

Check very carefully that your CPAP machine will run on 12v and that your battery will take the drain. Most CPAP machines will be fine but not all machines are equal. The model and settings are tailored to the patient. My husband's CPAP won't run on 12v and with an invertor would drain three batteries within 6 hours, that's without the power for my machine so we need EHU.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hope its not too late to join Funsters at Malvern, could not book before and still cannot now. Too many hospital appointments this month and awaiting another now.

Hope to say hello to some of you at Malvern.

There is space with RVOC Motorhome Fun's sister club - theres loads of funsters already booked that couldnt get into the fun area so come a join us.

Booking ends 28th July and can only be done online

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Above all don't be shy and have a chat with anyone in the vicinity - you will make a lot of friends (especially if you look like your avatar, but they might expect you to pick up litter). Sometimes hard to do but everyone gets on and don't be shy of asking for assistance. See you there!!
We aren't quite as furry as our avatar - like "Wombling free" rather than litter collecting! Don't think we are particularly shy but years of being in the Caravan Club with a caravan took their toll - with a few rare exceptions no one speaks until you are leaving but everyone watches each other - once the members in the van next to us even sat out in their chairs & blatantly watched others through binoculars! Love the sites but never found fellow CC members very friendly. At Dorset Rally we were just getting into the Fun frame of mind when we had to leave so not fully retrained yet but will work on it with you all at Malvern:)

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We wished we had started going to rallies much much earlier. Believe it or not, we are actually quite shy and sometimes find it hard to mix, but everyone has made both of us very welcome. Walking around with a bottle in hand helped, as did walking around with an empty glass looking thirsty.....

P.S. We don't look too much like the avatar - the duck bit is a long story

SharonL

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Him RV - me Bongo!
Exp
Just starting
The first small RV rally we went to as complete newbies, we were having to turn the genny on to make a brew, until Shirl came over and said "for heavens sake, here, have this lovely purple hob kettle and use your gas"....she didn't add "you numpty newbies" cos she's nice like that! :ROFLMAO:

Hillbum

Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
One year
Check very carefully that your CPAP machine will run on 12v and that your battery will take the drain. Most CPAP machines will be fine but not all machines are equal. The model and settings are tailored to the patient. My husband's CPAP won't run on 12v and with an invertor would drain three batteries within 6 hours, that's without the power for my machine so we need EHU.

I plan to test it out one night on the drive, before using it in the field, just as soon as I am fit again.
It should work, I have a matched 12v box for it, it comes with a croc clips extention with 12v female socket to connect to male 12v plug, it was supplied by the CPAP maker. I just didn't want the hassle of lifting seats to croc clip onto battery, it's not long enough anyway. I don't use an inventor, all the electric things we use are 12v powered
Sadly I note that Funsters section at Malvern if now full, so if we go, we'll walk over to the enclave to say hi.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sadly I note that Funsters section at Malvern if now full, so if we go, we'll walk over to the enclave to say hi.
Have a great time!

The croc clips sound like hassle, could you fit a 12v plug onto it so it would just plug into a cigarette type socket? We had extra sockets put in by the bed and where the microwave will eventually go. It was the same price to have a 240v plus 12v as for a 240v alone so they have both.

Needing an EHU is a bind but if it comes to needing an EHU or sitting at home I'll take the EHU!

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
turn up fully loaded with food, drink nibbles, full water tanks if possible & most definitely empty grey tanks.
Ensure you have enough provisions to last, there is a basic shop on site but it is expensive.
They require you to take your grey home this is an issue for us as the smaller tank only copes with 2 days.
I know there are a few taps dotted around malvern from VW shows ive attended but they are still a small trek.
You can leave & go into town if you wish it requires you to break camp & re-set when you come back something we intend not to do so we are planning to start shopping now otherwise it becomes expensive on the day we leave.

Alternatively go tinned & some basic fresh turn up & enjoy it.

There is a food village @ malvern it is there permanantly & has fish & chips, Carvery, beer, burgers & there is a cafe/diner over the rear of the site seving breakfast, lunch & dinner so you wont go without as long as you have some cash, we intend to have at least one meal out around the show as it saves coming back to the motor.

Can't work out yet how to highlight part of a post, but definitely take cash! There have been some occasions recently when a lot of credit cards appear to have been compromised.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back