Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
What are the thoughts of the Funsters on asking for a rally fee from those attending funster meets ?

The CCC , CC , MCC etc all charge a rally fee in addition to the entrance fee to an event or rally.

All rally fees could be used to provide new equipment etc

A rally fee of 50p or £1 would not be a lot to ask, I feel, for what we get from this great club of ours

Keep it clean please I am only asking

Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We do already pay one, or am I missing something ? Never been to an actual show, sales place. So I don't know about that side.

OP
OP
chrisboyo

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
No you are not missing anything

The £12 a year we pay as members has to be great value for what we get from Motorhome fun

Just so that we all understand

This post is totally of my own making with no other input or prompting from any source

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Don't know. I pay for my camping fees ... do you mean on top of that? If so, don't know what I think.... £1 per meet extra is a lot to some of us who struggle to keep a van on the road anyway .. it isn't just the pound, it's the annual membership for this, and Caravan/CCC/MCC, road tax, insurance, mot, diesel, upkeep on tyres, repairs, etc etc etc .. it all mounts up. :Sad: We do have raffles too to provide extras needed.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Chris there is a fee on a rally ? I've never been to a free one anyway.
What ever charge the hosts say. Payable on arrival.
I don't mean the annual MHF subscription charge, either. Which I agree is good value.:thumb:

OP
OP
chrisboyo

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
What I am asking is

Would Motorhome Fun members attending an event or rally as part of a Motorhome Fun group ,be prepared to pay a small sum over and above the entry fee to an event .

Just so we all understand
This post is of my own making, with no other input from any source

Chris

Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
What I am asking is

Would Motorhome Fun members attending an event or rally as part of a Motorhome Fun group ,be prepared to pay a small sum over and above the entry fee to an event .

Just so we all understand
This post is of my own making, with no other input from any source

Chris

Why would you want to pay more than you need to?::bigsmile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Most rallying clubs collect a small rally fee at each rally even the show rallies! All for different reasons, some to pay their rally insurance, entertainment, or even charity etc.

We've never done this as I've never really felt it necessary. Whenever we have done fundraising before its always been through raffles on rallies (we've bought 6 event shelters via raffles) Many of us have heard the stories from one club in particular where you need to hand over the pound before your parked up:roflmto:

No one is forced or even cajoled to buy raffle tickets so it remains a voluntary affair which seems to sit better with most people.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Why would you want to pay more than you need to?::bigsmile:

I think I'm right in saying that the MCC rally districts don't see any of the annual subs, that all goes to head office. While all their rallying districts expenses for stuff and incidentals is paid for via fundraising so it makes sense for them.

On motorhome facts they pay a fee on every rally for 'insurance' as the owner was too tight to pay it out of the subs he collected.

Most other clubs collect one to help defray costs of big functions at New year etc.

So if you have a 'fund' to fill they might be a good idea, but I feel raffles or similar are as good or better.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
theres one way to see if its acceptable.

Pick a known 'good attendance' rally and when the ' to attend thread' starts, state there will be a £1 rally fee over and above all other costs.

If its undersubscribed on previous years you know its a bad idea.

Some members may not like it in the same way some funsters wont buy fun flags, fun smiley stickers etc.

Personally, i wouldnt mind either a fee or raffle.....but not both, thats getting greedy.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
I/we prefer the raffle route.......its a game of chance, we all like the chance to win a pound for a penny investment.:RollEyes:

The bacon breakfast @ £1.00 can't make much profit, if any, that, I feel would still be well supported at £1.50/roll:Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The advantage of charging £1 for a baconroll is that there is no need for much of a change float. If you make it £1.50 then people will want change. I could just have two for £3 but I usually like to have 3 :winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I/we prefer the raffle route.......its a game of chance, we all like the chance to win a pound for a penny investment.:RollEyes:

The bacon breakfast @ £1.00 can't make much profit, if any, that, I feel would still be well supported at £1.50/roll:Smile:

The Bacon roll breakfasts are not done for profit, we aim to break-even. By keeping them cheap it encourages everyone to come, because the real reason for the breakfast is to bring everyone together. Some great friendships have been made in those queues for bacon rolls ::bigsmile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I remember paying the £1 at the other place. I didn't begrudge the money but at some events it was required at the entrance and I don't often carry money in the cab. It could be a pain.

Jim's way of doing it is much better with the raffle. I will more often than not hand over more than £1.

Which reminds me I have some raffle prizes for Stratford to go collect, must do that tomorrow.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Chris there is a fee on a rally ? I've never been to a free one anyway.
What ever charge the hosts say. Payable on arrival.
I don't mean the annual MHF subscription charge, either. Which I agree is good value.:thumb:

Wow this surprised me. I'd never heard of rally fees before.

I have never charged a "rally fee" at any meets I have held nor, to my knowledge ever paid a rally fee.

In fact the first time I ran the meet I provided the mulled wine, hence the panic when the 3rd winter meet became so big that I asked everyone just to bring something whether it was a bottle of mulled wine or bag of charcoal but felt really bad for asking at the time.

If fun meets are being held where those organising it ARE charging something over and above the site or pub fee then it should be stipulated quite clearly and the excess fully accounted for. I personally feel that in any such instances Jim should be given a copy of the accounts in case of any nasty allegations in the future only because as everyone knows, it only takes one person to spoil it for everyone else.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Wow this surprised me. I'd never heard of rally fees before.

I have never charged a "rally fee" at any meets I have held nor, to my knowledge ever paid a rally fee.

In fact the first time I ran the meet I provided the mulled wine, hence the panic when the 3rd winter meet became so big that I asked everyone just to bring something whether it was a bottle of mulled wine or bag of charcoal but felt really bad for asking at the time.

If fun meets are being held where those organising it ARE charging something over and above the site or pub fee then it should be stipulated quite clearly and the excess fully accounted for. I personally feel that in any such instances Jim should be given a copy of the accounts in case of any nasty allegations in the future only because as everyone knows, it only takes one person to spoil it for everyone else.

Have I got this wrong then ? I'm sure we have to pay , it's Ralph that does the deed and he's out pricing up a job. So I can't check with him.
But for eg goth meet, you went to. Did we not pay for that ? It's not much , couldn't say how much as I don't pay it , but there is a fee.
I'm doubting my self now.:Doh:
I know we did at Eden cos I remember Ralph settling up with Sheila .
I'm sure , cos he tried to give it to Mick and he said no see Sheila. I'm not trusted with cash :winky::ROFLMAO:

If we didn't pay a rally fee , who pays for the rent of the field. And hire of the room, just the rally marshal ? Very generous if so ......

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Just asked Ralph now he's home , Eden camp about a tenner per night , goth just gone up to £11 per night, misterton about £7 per night. Cheap at half the price and well worth it. But still a charge. Usually a bit more if you have hook up.
That's all he can remember off the top of his head.
I'm sure no one is charging more than they should though, why would they ?

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Have I got this wrong then ? I'm sure we have to pay , it's Ralph that does the deed and he's out pricing up a job. So I can't check with him.
But for eg goth meet, you went to. Did we not pay for that ? It's not much , couldn't say how much as I don't pay it , but there is a fee.
I'm doubting my self now.:Doh:
I know we did at Eden cos I remember Ralph settling up with Sheila .
I'm sure , cos he tried to give it to Mick and he said no see Sheila. I'm not trusted with cash :winky::ROFLMAO:

If we didn't pay a rally fee , who pays for the rent of the field. And hire of the room, just the rally marshal ? Very generous if so ......

I may be confused, so here is my understanding of Chrisboyo's original post and your comments.

There are site charges which are what everyone pays to pitch up and use the facilities like what we paid at the Goth Meet and what we pay to those who run the motorhome shows as just two examples.

Then there are rally fees. From what Chris is saying this is a small amount that you pay on top - an "add on charge" so to speak.

So my response was if there are add on charges they should be clearly listed as like other people I think we should know what we are paying for.

As an extreme example of what could happen I could charge £20 per head for the rally at waldegraves payable to me. I could pay the £16 pitch fee and pocket the other £4 per pitch and no one would be any the wiser as all the pitches would be booked in my name and under data protection the site wouldnt be allowed to release any information. I could also spend the extra £4 on mulled wine or drinks etc or give it to Jim.

Hope this helps

What are the thoughts of the Funsters on asking for a rally fee from those attending funster meets ?

The CCC , CC , MCC etc all charge a rally fee in addition to the entrance fee to an event or rally.

All rally fees could be used to provide new equipment etc

A rally fee of 50p or £1 would not be a lot to ask, I feel, for what we get from this great club of ours

Keep it clean please I am only asking

Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
of the clubs/forums I'm a member of only those who do not charge a subscription tend to charge a rally fee. I supplied a marquee for the shepton show out of my own pocket when I was a marshal because I felt it was needed, so each to their own. People buy raffle tickets and used to spend for the Christmas charity auction but make it an additional charge at rallies and there is bound to be less people attending. Especially those who begin feel poor relations because of their personal finances. It is just another nail in the coffin for them.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Chris is used to paying a rally fee as most every club out there raises funds that way. No one is proposing it here. What a pain collecting coin is anyway.

If we needed it badly we'd just put subs up for rallying members. But we don't, so the odd raffle to raise cash by ralliers to benefit ralliers is more than enough.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I think the problem when you have a thread like this is that there is such diversity, (which is a good thing), amongst members. There are those for whom a pound extra is nothing, and then there are the likes of me .. I am not ashamed to admit it .... who really cannot afford to run a motorhome but it is their lifeline and will go without heating or eating to keep it on the road for as long as possible. The meals out at rallies etc are probably the only time I have a proper meal but it is part of keeping a motorhome and enjoying friendship outside my 'other' life. Sorry, that sounds awful ... just pass the begging bowl. . :Sad: BUT I am not complaining ... the pleasure and freedom from my home situation is worth the struggle ...

Raffles allow people to choose, and it is the freedom of choice that is important, whether they can afford to contribute more or not... I vote for raffles.:Smile:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I think the problem when you have a thread like this is that there is such diversity, (which is a good thing), amongst members. There are those for whom a pound extra is nothing, and then there are the likes of me .. I am not ashamed to admit it .... who really cannot afford to run a motorhome but it is their lifeline and will go without heating or eating to keep it on the road for as long as possible. The meals out at rallies etc are probably the only time I have a proper meal but it is part of keeping a motorhome and enjoying friendship outside my 'other' life. Sorry, that sounds awful ... just pass the begging bowl. . :Sad: BUT I am not complaining ... the pleasure and freedom from my home situation is worth the struggle ...

Raffles allow people to choose, and it is the freedom of choice that is important, whether they can afford to contribute more or not... I vote for raffles.:Smile:

I totally agree with you.

There are plenty of people and fellow funsters struggling financially and those who budget carefully so they can enjoy time in the motorhome but dont have any "spare cash".

Your motorhome is your lifeline Movan and long may you continue to enjoy it. :thumb:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
The advantage of charging £1 for a baconroll is that there is no need for much of a change float. If you make it £1.50 then people will want change. I could just have two for £3 but I usually like to have 3 :winky:

Surely you could manage four, maybe have one wrapped in a paper towel/loo roll for later:roflmto:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
rally fees

I'm sure all the ccc rallys charge at least a pound on top to pay for incidentals and to cover marshalls pitch cost's, which still have to be paid usually.
Don't think that it's fair that they should have to pay pitch fee and have the responsibility of marshaling as well.
ps, bacon rolls on Sunday morn are the best::bigsmile:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I like the raffles, it's another opportunity to end up with something I don't need but always in the hope that I get something I never knew I needed but find I do!:Smile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I think it's a fair question Chris as other clubs do.
But, TBH, some rallies like Malvern Chester etc charge a lot to attend anyway. I tend to look at it like this, it's a £1 today but £2 tomorrow or even a Fiver next week. Yeah it's not alot but as you have read to some it's a fortune.

I don't like Raffles as they take so bloody long and I never win (Stratford one year took all night).

There's a difference though in that a clubs a club and a clubs a business if you see what I mean.

Once you go from club to business an awful lot is lost within the philosophy of the "club". No one should be out of pocket in my view and that includes Jim and within that I include the time Jim has to spend on actually doing site work ie answering PMs keeping JJ in order etc etc and not just it cost this much to have a site and therefore it needs this much to maintain it.

I suppose the easy way of what Im trying to say is if it ain't broke why fix it?

I much prefer a couple of buckets out for charity at our meets with the emphasis on give if you want and you feel it's worth it.

However if Jim wants to raise a few quid for Marquees event shelters range cookers etc, He would be far better off waiting till midnight for funsters to be going back to their vans and then ask if they would like to make a donation..... I've always found people give much more after a few sherberts.... :Blush:

PS
I ran a rally once (meet in the middle about 6 years ago) when we were out of pocket due to no shows, and out of the 15 vans that attended (3 others didn't realise but offered by pm), 12 put there hands in there pocket to make up the shortfall,( it was about a shortfall of £20) that's just the way it is/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back