Raising on E and P levellers to save the tyres (1 Viewer)

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
It seems sensible to do it, except I don’t know how much is enough! How do you know when there is enough lift to relieve enough weight off the tyres, without lifting them clear? Also, I’m assuming there is some kind of built in stop to prevent eejits like me jacking it up too far and damaging something expensive?

It seems like a very silly question!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well you are right about there being a stop so you can’t go too far but by the time it stops the wheels could be off the ground, if you want to just take some weight off it would be easiest to watch outside and stop when you see the bulge of the tyre at the bottom disappear, to do this you would need a remote so you can be outside or you need someone inside on the button, if the van is outside you should spray the exposed rams with silicone spray.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I believe the manual does warn against using the system for lifting the wheels off the ground?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
5K plus for the E&P levellers would buy a lot of new tyres, it wouldn't be my first concern to be honest.
Levelling on all terrains would be my first, but that's probably me being extremely jealous of those that have it, along with full air suspension, and a Morrelo/Concorde MH !
Yes it would have to be my last van to even consider fitting those options on a "normal" van.
I would imagine that just taking the weight off the tyres would be sufficient to avoid stagnant bulges from appearing.
How far do you take these things?, fitting UV covers on all wheels when parked up in sun to protect the tyres?

I will have to make do with either finding a "levelish" spot or levelling ramps until then.:crying:
Happy travels.
LES

OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I wouldn't worry about it if I didn't have levellers fitted, but as they are just sitting there, they may as well be used. The van sits a lot, especially at the moment. I have only recently discovered the manual levelling feature, so I wanted to give it a go.

I absolutely love the levellers. I know sleeping on a slant doesn't really bother a lot of people, but I reckon its worth every penny.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I am always concerned about potential damage to the seals and bushes of the steering and suspension "hanging" at the wrong angle for weeks on end.

Also the actual "ram" must suffer being exposed for weeks on end

I have had hydraulic jacks on every van for the last 20 years or so but have never bothered to use them when not actually using the van

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I am always concerned about potential damage to the seals and bushes of the steering and suspension "hanging" at the wrong angle for weeks on end.

I have had hydraulic jacks on every van for the last 20 years or so but have never bothered to use them when not actually using the van
I think the idea is to reduce weight off the tyres not have it so high as to allow the wheels to hang, otherwise some scrote will pinch your wheels.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

If the ram is exposed they recommend spraying it with silicone spray, I have read that some people put pipe lagging around to stop any splashes or driving rain getting at the ram.

I think if you want to protect the tyres just taking some weight off them would be enough, I certainly wouldn't lift the wheels off the floor all the time in storage, although on ours the suspension has a stop so that it doesn't hang on the shockers and steering but sits against a mechanical stop.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Our HPC levellers have a ‘stabilise’ setting that just takes the weight off the tyres without them leaving the ground. We always leave it parked liked this to relieve the tyres.
What about damage to the ram? Any hydraulic experts around?

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Our HPC levellers have a ‘stabilise’ setting that just takes the weight off the tyres without them leaving the ground. We always leave it parked liked this to relieve the tyres.
We have HPC which I am now using to level the van on the driveway and in so doing it takes most of the weight off the rear tyres & just a little off the front.

I'm not that worried about squaring the tyres off. After all, how long do they stay still in dealer's yards.?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Just googled some hydraulic ram manufacturers and they all say that the best way to preserve the ram is to store it within the cylinder to avoid pitting and rust that destroys the ram by damaging the seals.

Add to that that I never keep a camper long enough to worry about the tyres and tyres are cheaper and easier to replace than hydraulic levelling systems, I'll stick with using them when I am in the camper and not worry about the tyres when its parked up

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Some info here already covered on the results of leaving your jack's down for extended periods.

Aug 16, 2018
West Wiltshire
Funster No
Exp
Long time
Leaving Rams under pressure for long periods of time is not good for the seals, or ram linings. It will eventually blow the seals as they are rubber and hard plastic depending on make.
Also depending on quality of the chrome, as has been said before on here, you will get pitting and then in turn that will wreck your seals.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Thinking about Hydraulic Ram systems/systems in general, I am sure most of us have seen JCB diggers being parked up after a days work or for any length of time in that all Arms & Buckets are drawn upwards, to ensure the rams are not left exposed to the elements. They are also parked with the weight taken off the arms by placing the bucket on the ground, therefore relieving any pressure on the hydraulic pipes/hoses which are normally the first things to fail on a well used vehicle.
That would tell me that having the rams raised not holding any weight for extended periods would make them last longer.
I guess these issues are examined & dealt with when you have your E&P or HPC systems serviced/inspected at regular service intervals by your installer.
LES

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
It seems sensible to do it, except I don’t know how much is enough! How do you know when there is enough lift to relieve enough weight off the tyres, without lifting them clear? Also, I’m assuming there is some kind of built in stop to prevent eejits like me jacking it up too far and damaging something expensive?

It seems like a very silly question!
Motorhome tyres are made with vehicles being stationary for long period of time.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Is there much difference, from a seals perspective, between the hydraulic arms of levellers and the rods of your dampers on your suspension? They’re carrying the same weight (ignoring the effects of unsprung weight) and the diameter of Leveller arms is substantially larger than those of your suspension dampers so I’m not sure that there is much difference.

Consequently I’m not sure it’s something that would worry me.

Ian

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Is there much difference, from a seals perspective, between the hydraulic arms of levellers and the rods of your dampers on your suspension? They’re carrying the same weight (ignoring the effects of unsprung weight) and the diameter of Leveller arms is substantially larger than those of your suspension dampers so I’m not sure that there is much difference.

Consequently I’m not sure it’s something that would worry me.

Ian
The dampers don't carry the weight of the van though that is the job of the springs.

I should add leaving weight on the jacks wouldn't worry me from a point of the seals but I would worry if the rams went rusty.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I spoke to the installers of our self-levelling. They had no concerns about leaving the jacks down for long periods. Never any problems they said.
Still under warranty so I will take their word for it.

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
Well you are right about there being a stop so you can’t go too far but by the time it stops the wheels could be off the ground, if you want to just take some weight off it would be easiest to watch outside and stop when you see the bulge of the tyre at the bottom disappear, to do this you would need a remote so you can be outside or you need someone inside on the button, if the van is outside you should spray the exposed rams with silicone spray.
That is exactly what we do.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Page 31 to 34 of the user manual is worth a read (Maintenance and Warranty) keep those pistons clean and treated. Personally. Tyres are made for long standing so I wouldn’t be worried about raising the MoHo

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Although we have auto levellers and full air suspension, we park on quite a steep drive and as such wouldn’t do this. Also when we use “parking“ it drops the van down so low that it would be impossible to nick the catalytic converter, an added bonus. The tyres soon regain their shape in any case.
Phil

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
If I could afford the jacks I'd simply use them to put the van onto heavy duty axle stands if I knew it was going to be sitting for a while.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
I always leave them down at home - just a slight relief on the tyres. Extra security feature and as my drive is level I can leave the handbrake off (just remember to put it back on before starting the engine or they will all retract with no handbrake on 😊). I coat them with silicone spray from time to time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back