Raising on E and P levellers to save the tyres (1 Viewer)

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
My motorhome is in storage with e&p levellers lifting it just off the ground, I was advised by Graham at courtside conversions, who fitted the system, to spray the legs when extended with a silicone spray. If I’ve done wrong I can’t rectify it as it’s 40 mile away

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Bit off piste, but still jack-related as it were. Absolutely wouldn't be without mine, but recently found yet another reason to like them.

I went to get van from storage to find the front wheels spinning when I tried to set off. There was a slight rise in the grassy pitch I hadn't even noticed in summer. Several attempts to rock it back and forth just deepened the ruts. Enter the jacks! Raised the front well clear of the ground, put pallet planks underneath and for about a yard in front, jobs a good un. Took about 10 minutes...
IMG_20201220_124725.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Always keep the rams clean. should a rust scab appear, that will damage the seal, resulting in an oil leak. Then it's off with the ram, dismantle, and refit new seals and refit the ram. A pain in the bum.

Thats why any digger driver worth his salt will always close the rams, as best they can, at the end of the day.

I don't think there is any problem raising a vehicle, but, do keep an eye on the 'shiny' bit, and lubricate, or operate, frequently.

Craig

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
It seems sensible to do it, except I don’t know how much is enough! How do you know when there is enough lift to relieve enough weight off the tyres, without lifting them clear? Also, I’m assuming there is some kind of built in stop to prevent eejits like me jacking it up too far and damaging something expensive?

It seems like a very silly question!
I am told that if you have proper “Camper” tyres that the sidewalls are built to stand the weight for long periods of standing. Normal car tyres can take on a “set” if left standing for long periods as their sidewalls are built for absorbing the day-to-day running

Richard Sale

Free Member
Aug 19, 2018
Funster No
Our HPC levellers have a ‘stabilise’ setting that just takes the weight off the tyres without them leaving the ground. We always leave it parked liked this to relieve the tyres.
Plus it acts as an anti theft deterrent, if you remove power to them.

Oct 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Ar
Exp
Since 2016
The Goldschmitt hydraulic system has a “Winter” setting on the control pad, it is not adjustable, but says all jacks fully extended. It makes sense to also keep the seals energised? The wheels aren’t off the ground, but obviously less weight on them.

Feb 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Hi All, Sorry if this has been covered but how long can you leave the MH in one place without damaging the tyres, what with the current lockdown we are obviously moving our MH much and I am wondering are we damaging the tyres - should I take it for a 5 minute drive around the block or just leave the MH in place. Thanks Chris

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hi All, Sorry if this has been covered but how long can you leave the MH in one place without damaging the tyres, what with the current lockdown we are obviously moving our MH much and I am wondering are we damaging the tyres - should I take it for a 5 minute drive around the block or just leave the MH in place. Thanks Chris
Its probably a question for the manufacturer, however the manufacture's know that MotorHomes will stand for long periods, its more likely that tyre ageing will be the need to change a tyre hairline cracks in the side walls, scuffing against the curb (damage that can cause a blowout) and correct tyre pressure will affect the tyre more than standing in one place for a long period (long standing times are built into the design of the tyre type)

This is for Performance Tyres (light weight motor sport vehicle's) Not MoHo's:

Tyres will age regardless of how much or how little use they get. With this in mind it is particularly important that special care is given to tyres stored for extended periods of time; this may be anywhere from several weeks through to an entire winter period.

The following storage advice will allow you to prolong the integrity and safety

• Storage temperature should ideally be below 25°C and above 0°C. If a tyre is marked with a Green Tread Print lines on the tread or carries a technical advice label; this denotes that special care is required (Ref. Green Tread Print Tyres – Technical Advice).
  • The storage area must be dry and well ventilated to stop any build up of moisture or condensation
  • Tyres should not be stored in direct sunlight but instead should be kept in low ambient light environments
  • Store tyres away from any ozone producing electrical items such as generators, motors and fluorescent lamps
  • Solvents, fuels, lubricants, chemicals, acids and disinfectants need to be kept away from the tyres
  • For short periods (up to 4 weeks) tyres can be stacked on top of each other; preferably on pallets, to a height not exceeding 1.2 metres. The order in which they are stacked must be reversed every few weeks.
  • If the tyres are to be stored mounted on rims they must be inflated to the recommended manufacturer pressures and placed upright against one another.
  • For longer storage periods, the tyres must be stored upright on shelves in a single row at least 10 cm above ground level. To avoid shape deformation you will need to rotate the tyres on the shelves every four weeks.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Hi - Thanks very much for that - very useful information. In fact I have a spare set on rims being stored, I think I need to move them around ! Many thanks again Chris

OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Hadn't spotted all this - thank you to all those that advised (for all that I'm still not sure what the best thing to do actually is, except spray the shiny bits, which sounds like good advice for life!! :LOL:)

My motorhome stood around at the dealers for months and months, because of finance issues (not mine) before we got away (late and in a tearing hurry), and then of course it stood all winter at home, and all spring and summer because of lockdown. And then I got a rollicking off the garage chappies for the state of my tyres, and had to delay going off again because they couldn't get tyres in fast enough. However, I agree that changing tyres is to be expected to and is easier and cheaper than new levellers.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Why not lift the wheels on the rams, put axle stands in each corner, then lift the rams. Save any strains on seals and the rams are protected.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back