Rain Gutter Over Sliding Door On Van Conversions (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Has anyone tried a strip within the door opening like in these photos found on web search - these were just a trial & were meant to be replaced with rubber strip so would presumably look neater then & not visible with the door closed:

1601154419417.png

1601154504968.png

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
After upgrading from our VW that had rain gutters all around to our gutterless Ducato, we couldn't believe how much water would run off the roof and door the door opening.

My first mod was a section of black tile trim, I cut it down to length and made the corners rounded, and stuck it down with 3M tape - worked really well, looked good and dirt cheap.

Then found a great deal on the led light, easy to fit, dry fitted it and drilled the holes, then ran a bead of black sikaflex to prevent any water creep - it's very bright and highly recommended

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
This. Works a treat on my ducato PVC.
Not easy to photograph against a dark van and under an awning, but....
It comes self adhesive (3M) and is rubber, not plastic. Stops the run off water entering the van. Best cheapish thing I have bought. It fits neatly above the door along the underside and around the lip and is a perfect length, being a few inches longer than the opening.
20200927_084217.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Do you have some photos please as still trying to find the best solution for this!
I'll try and take some in the next couple of days. Not doing it now as we're in midge city and I'd never hear the last of it from SWMBO if I let them all in the van. But it looks very similar to Bobby-gg 's photo in post #32.

Nothing will stop rain driving in through the door if it's open, but the strips across the top edge do stop drips into the van from a wet roof, as they cause any water running down to flow along the strip and off of the lowest end. It helps if the end overlaps the door opening by an inch or so at each end.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Wombles a couple of photos if they upload. The flat edge of the P-section strip is bonded to the underside of the door aperture, and cut such that the round bead overlaps the edges of the door aperture, which diverts any water running off of the roof to run down either side of the door and not into the van. Hope that makes sense (y)

Attachments

• IMG_20200928_172636376_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200928_172636376_HDR.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_20200928_172515521_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200928_172515521_HDR.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 183
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thank you for all your suggestions & photos which convinced us that it's definitely worth fixing some version of gutter. Have just ordered this 1.5m Reimo rain gutter from Kiravan https://www.kiravans.co.uk/products/plastic-rain-gutter-150cm for £20.25 delivered.

1602953322852.png

Whilst it's described as plastic understand that it's EDPM rubber & hopefully doesn't stand out too much & looks easy enough to fit albeit our application is over the sliding not cab door:

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
It's easy to fit and the perfect length for the sliding door. A good choice. Mine is great.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Anybody want to look at how NOT to do the job have a look at the Murvi morello for sale at Oaktree motorhomes, what a total aftermarket bodge up job, it comes all the way about a quarter of the way across ABOVE the windscreen.

What a mess, I wonder if the paint will be damaged underneath if ripped off, no way I could live with that.

Sorry can't do links on my phone.

Edit, managed it

image.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Anybody want to look at how NOT to do the job have a look at the Murvi morello for sale at Oaktree motorhomes, what a total aftermarket bodge up job, it comes all the way about a quarter of the way across ABOVE the windscreen.

What a mess, I wonder if the paint will be damaged underneath if ripped off, no way I could live with that.

We are always wary of how & what we fit or modify - where possible want it to look like it was original rather than an add on or be removeable just in case we decide to sell at some point. Would rather not stick anything on the paintwork but will be done neatly & at least we aren't adding screws as well - not yet anyway!

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC

Edit, managed it

View attachment 434112
Why the hell hasn’t the dealer replaced that it looks a mess

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
The Reimo strip went on well :) It was a bit twisted on arrival but fine once on - we decided not to extend it past the door edges so less noticeable but should still channel rain away so it no longer accumulates on top of the sliding door:

1603665178060.png

Apr 8, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
PVC conversion
Exp
30+ years
Sorry Wombles, thought my question had attached. Have you had chance to see if the Reimo strip has worked whilst raining please?

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Sorry Wombles, thought my question had attached. Have you had chance to see if the Reimo strip has worked whilst raining please?
Yes - we are pleased with it as it works well with no rain on the top of the door so far (y)

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
I’m looking for a light strip that will also stop the drips. The dometic raintec one does look really good, but it seems quite expensive for what it is. I’ll bite the bullet and buy that one if there’s no alternative that’s also good, but does anyone have any recommendations, please? Bobby-gg which one did you get, please, yours looks good (y)

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
I’m looking for a light strip that will also stop the drips. The dometic raintec one does look really good, but it seems quite expensive for what it is. I’ll bite the bullet and buy that one if there’s no alternative that’s also good, but does anyone have any recommendations, please? Bobby-gg which one did you get, please, yours looks good (y)
Mine is indeed the raintec one and it's brilliant, but I do have an issue with it.

In the dark, with the light on it is fantastic, nice and bright, just what you need to illuminate your way to the van, but as you slide open the door, the door itself blocks the light momentarily until the door is fully opened, just a small issue but thought I'd mention it.

Yes, they are normally expensive, £150+, but I found mine being sold by an installation company, just the strip itself, no instructions, no screws, no packaging, for less than £90 👍

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Mine is indeed the raintec one and it's brilliant, but I do have an issue with it.

In the dark, with the light on it is fantastic, nice and bright, just what you need to illuminate your way to the van, but as you slide open the door, the door itself blocks the light momentarily until the door is fully opened, just a small issue but thought I'd mention it.

Yes, they are normally expensive, £150+, but I found mine being sold by an installation company, just the strip itself, no instructions, no screws, no packaging, for less than £90 👍
Thanks for the reply, very helpful (y) it would be nice if I could drop on a similar bargain!

Jul 25, 2022
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Danbury Active
Exp
Since Nov 2020
Thanks for the ideas here, folks. I have an additional issue in that when it's windy as well as raining water tends to get blown into the van (a Renault Trafic-based camper) via the front side of the sliding door with drips forming along the top of the door inside. I've checked the integrity of the door seal & this seems ok so I'm looking for something to fit at the front of the door. I'd be grateful for any suggestions especially if it's solved your similar problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back