Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Good tip taking 10% off Railcards (y)
I hadn't spotted the "Top Tips & Tricks" section before - think this is where I should have been posting deals & discounts! :doh:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Persons who have hearing aids prescribed are eligible for a Disabled Persons Railcard giving 30% off the fare for them AND THEIR CARER!!! (I jest not) Pardon!

Just saying(y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Persons who have hearing aids prescribed are eligible for a Disabled Persons Railcard giving 30% off the fare for them AND THEIR CARER!!! (I jest not) Pardon!

Just saying(y)
Bugger me !, £20 for this one and I just paid £30 for a senior citizens rail card.
I'll remember this next time.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Got a two-together railcard with 10% off, just before Christmas, for a return to London... and saved the cost of the card on the first journey! (y)

Don't normally use the trains, but the discount card proved a no-brainer for us - lasts whole year, so deciding what other trips to do while we've got it... :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Good find - could you advise how to get this please? Thanks
https://www.disabledpersons-railcard.co.uk/are-you-eligible/ gives info. needed off main link https://www.disabledpersons-railcard.co.uk/

Are registered as deaf or use a hearing aid

Social Services official stamp in the space allocated on the downloadable form if applying online or on a paper application form

A copy of the front page of your NHS battery book or a copy of your dispensing prescription from a private hearing aid supplier

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Good find - could you advise how to get this please? Thanks

Here you go. Get the Lug 'Ole adornments prescribed and contact the Disabled Railcard Office at;
disability@raildeliverygroup.com
Phone: 0345 605 0525 (7am to 10pm Monday to Sunday)
Minicom/Textphone: 0345 601 0132 (For customers with hearing impairments)
Post: Disabled Persons Railcard Office PO Box 6613 Arbroath DD11 9AN

At first I had a bit of trouble because they, (up there) insisted that I had to 'prove' my disability??? by scanning a 'Battery Book.' This was a book issued shortly after the Crimea War for the noting down of the issue of batteries.
However, the current issuer of Hearing Aides, ie Specsavers don't issue Battery Books. Hence they were asking the impossible.

After a bit of tooing and froing (technical term), they eventually accepted that a partially audibly challenged Old Gimmer was hardly likely to submit himself to such embarrassment for the sake of a Tenner. But there again, this Tyke with a Scottish mother might for a figure just North of that sum.
Hope the above is of use to you. If not, go back to Specsavers. Apparently they can help with eyesight as well???(y)
but you will need more than a pair of specs to get a railcard.

OP
OP
W

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000

Just saying(y)
Now you tell me o_O .....will store this away for nxt. time unless they move the goal posts :rolleyes:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
@emmitdb - thanks for the info, I've got a "battery book" from the hospital, so will have a go at that. (y)

Every little helps!

Down here in 'The Pointy Bit' I was the first who had tried to get the Card after Specsavers had starting dishing out the aids.
It came as a surprise to them but they said that in future, they would issue a letter for new aid wearers.

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
@emmitdb - got a disabled person's railcard - completed form online & downloaded a photo of the front of my "Hearing aid and battery issuing record book" £20 for the year, applied last Thursday, card received on Monday (y)

Alb

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not knocking it as I'll be using this option next time but how does the use of a hearing aid make any difference to your journey ?
Being blind deprives you of the veiws but as trains don't even go 'clickety click, clickety clack' anymore so you're not even deprived of that.....and you wear a hearing aid so would hear it if it did.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
what about people who have partial hearing but either are not able to use a hearing aid or have a type of deafness a hearing aid won't help? I'll have to investigate further (I am deaf but allergic to something in the aid which then caused further damage)

Apparently I don't qualify as I don't have an aid and social services don't have me on theor records as registered as I don't have an aid ...... couldn't make it up!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
what about people who have partial hearing but either are not able to use a hearing aid or have a type of deafness a hearing aid won't help? I'll have to investigate further (I am deaf but allergic to something in the aid which then caused further damage)

Apparently I don't qualify as I don't have an aid and social services don't have me on theor records as registered as I don't have an aid ...... couldn't make it up!

@Puddleduck
I would suggest that you are genuinely one of Raquel Welch's triplets. You're the one on the bottle.

How about you go to your Doc's. Get them to tell you, (by sign language if necessary) that you qualify for assistance in hearing.
Armed with that, go to whoever dishes out the 'Aides' and get them to issue you with 'Something'
After you've done that, apply for the card. Nowhere does it say that you have to wear the damn things, I don't!!!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
@Puddleduck

How about you go to your Doc's. Get them to tell you, (by sign language if necessary) that you qualify for assistance in hearing.
Armed with that, go to whoever dishes out the 'Aides' and get them to issue you with 'Something'
After you've done that, apply for the card. Nowhere does it say that you have to wear the damn things, I don't!!!

I have it in writing from the hospital audiology department that normally they would issue a hearing aid but as I had such a bad reaction at the fitting the aids were not and will not be issued. I have been discharged to the care of my GP as there is no further action that can be taken. The GP has also been advised not to re-refer. I did ask if this letter would be sufficient but was told "no" !!!!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
In that case, take your problem to the Health Ombudsman.
If you have reduced hearing capacity that, because of outside influences (your reaction to whatever it is they make the aides from) you cannot wear the aide, then either, they should make the aide from some other material and/or still give you the discount card because, at the end of the day, when all's said and done and to be fair (A family saying!!!) you still have the disability.
Good luck.
They don't like it up 'em!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back