Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Not sure about the Armed Forces however this was RAF Lakenheath.

Security: Base security or MoD police will take an interest in you around the less-easily-accessible points on this guide but are normally okay with you being there once they know what you're up to.

There have in the past been some incidents of base security telling people outside the fence that they are not permitted to take photos except from the approved viewing area. This is nonsense. You are entirely within your rights to walk on the public footpaths and open access land bordering the airfield, and take photographs of aircraft in flight. They can legitimately object to you taking photos of the airfield itself but US security have no powers outside the fence and would need to call the local police to deal with you if they felt you were a genuine security concern. If you are hassled, threatened or lied to in this manner by USAFE security personnel you should complain to the station commander at RAF Lakenheath and also to the local police. The US are after all guests in our country - not the other way round.
I probably think they look upon the anoraks as a patriotic volunteer observation force - anyone acting shady in the neighbourhood will soon get a call to the police ...

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I probably think they look upon the anoraks as a patriotic volunteer observation force - anyone acting shady in the neighbourhood will soon get a call to the police ...
Correct! (y)
The local and MOD police actively encourage the spotters to report anyone acting suspiciously.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Yes we pay for them donā€™t we, or at least in this case the Yanks have šŸ¤Ŗ

Lakenheath is still an RAF station, with I believe a RAF CO, but we let the US use it - for a fee I presume.

Does the MoD have any control over what operations the USAF can conduct from there, e.g. if we did not want them to bomb country X ?

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Bloody noise they were making over the top of our house yesterday was unbelievable....

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Lakenheath is still an RAF station, with I believe a RAF CO, but we let the US use it - for a fee I presume.

Does the MoD have any control over what operations the USAF can conduct from there, e.g. if we did not want them to bomb country X ?

Geoff
Nope, USAF rent the uk bases, and nope we have no real control over where they bomb, it was F-111ā€˜s from the UK that missed bombing Gadaffi into dust in Libya years ago. I believe the UK Government were told at the time as a courtesy and to ensure the RAF didnā€™t chase them.šŸ˜

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I am amazed at the number of Dutch and German enthusiasts turn up at UK bases, itā€™s odd that the6 find our aircraft more interesting than their own.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
Bloody noise they were making over the top of our house yesterday was unbelievable....
It goes on all the time here. We occasionally get V22 Ospreys at night, which are pretty sinister. I've also had an F15 land pretty much on my roof while driving past the end of the runway, which does get the heart going a bit... šŸ™‚

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back