Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi all, I've noticed a slightly worrying trend recently and wondered if anyone else has observed a similar situation.

I generally listen to radio 2 from the good old Beeb but over the last six months or so I've noticed a marked reduction in reception quality on FM. This has been noted at home on several different radios, in the motorhome and on my workshop radio. Sometimes I listen to a personal radio in bed and the one I use has both FM and DAB functions, now when I got this unit last year the DAB reception was just about non existent and the FM was super. Now its the opposite way round, I can get perfect DAB reception on it but nothing on FM.

Has anyone else experienced a reduction in FM signal strength and a corresponding increase in DAB recently?

D.

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
hi dave

yes! i particularly notice this on the m5, where radio 2 disappears somewhere south of the m42 junction, and reappears towards bristol. i think there's another bad patch on the m1 north of nottingham. it does depend on the vehicle i'm driving, presumably on the aerial. i've always blamed it on the installation in the truck i'm driving, but they can't all be missing the aerial connection, or can they?

des

ps you fitted cruise control to my autocruise sunningdale a few years ago. long since traded for the rv, but still remember your good work.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
DAB... luxury ::bigsmile:

We can get the odd analogue radio and TV signal, as long as there is not to many sheep blocking the signal from the Preseli hills, and, its a clear day::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes, I've noticed it in a few places - also listening to Radio 2.

Especially so last weekend driving down to Derbyshire using the A628 from the M1 junction. It's a journey we've done dozens of times over the years and never had problems before.

All the publicity I've seen regarding digital radio has said that there will be no compulsory switch-over (as is happening with TV) because there are simply too many radios out there. Good job I'm not cynical or I'd be thinking that somebody was trying a back door method of making people change.

Graham

Just sent the following question to the BBC via the Radio 2 contact page. I'll post the reply when I get it:
Last weekend we travelled from Middlesbrough to visit my Mother in Glossop, Derbyshire (a journey we have undertaken dozens of times over the years). As usual we had the car (FM) radio tuned to Radio 2. What was unusual was that we lost signal driving along the A628.
We have experienced similar problems in other areas of the country (using a different vehicle/radio) in recent months, having previously had no problem.
I have now received reports from friends that they have also had similar experiences.
This all seems to be allied to the increased concentration of the BBC on digital broadcasting. Is the FM signal being deliberately downgraded - and, if not, what is the reason for the reduced quality of service?

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It is 2008 you know,
it appears not all Radio 2 listeners have passed away as was expected,
we will turn up the volume again for you:thumb:
yours
The BBC

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Radio 2 is not worth listening to now that Brand and Ross have gone::bigsmile:

vaughan

Free Member
Oct 30, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I can go back to radio 2 now that brand and ross have gone. If only we can get rid of janice long and replace her with liz kershaw.
Happy stirring,
Vaughan

Welshman hiding in England

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Radio wave reception is dependant on propagation. i.e. themedia through which radio waves travel being in suitable condition. This is affected by season and sunspot activity. We are currently at the bottom of an 11 year cycle of sunspot activity so don't expect things to change very quickly. FM is generally line of sight plus a third. So very dependant on transmitter/repeater location in relation to your location. AM reception is a better bet when conditions are poor. But even that is very poor at the moment. So tough, play more 8 tracks, tapes, cd's, or even DVD's and enjoy your collection of music.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've just received a reply from Radio 2 to the enquiry I sent:

According to our transmitter people:

The transmitter that provides a substantial amount of the FM coverage in that area was recently undergoing considerable work. While we did not have that many complaints, I think it quite likely this was the cause of your problems and all should be back to normal now. While digital coverage is expanding, it does not have any effect on the FM transmissions.

With a car radio and the more common telescopic rod aerial, it can be worth exercising and cleaning the aerial from time to time as a reduction in the aerial efficiency can slowly occur.

We shall find out if all is back to normal when we travel that route again in 3 or 4 weeks time :Smile:

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back