Radio, Radio wherefore art thou Radio (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I'm looking for a new DAB radio for the MH. It's got to be double din size, have DAB+, a usb socket on front, or usb lead into glove box and if possible a touch screen. Non motorised screen. Decent brand, such as Pioneer.

Fairly simple to find you might say, but nay I beg to differ. I don't want Android or DVD player built in, for I have a Wifi and a tablet. I don't want Sat Nav as I use the 7" Garmin in a much better line of sight. Nor do I want a reversing camera, for I have a double camera system already, again in a better line of sight. I don't want hands free as I have a wife who will answer the phone in the unlikely event that we'd even have it switched on !

Any recommendations, in the up to £250ish range ?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you find one post it on here - it's exactly what I want too. And no CD / DVD slot either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I didn't need all the bells and whistles when I changed mine last year. Went to Autosounds on Scotswood Road, Newcastle, who listened to what I wanted and fitted a very nice Kenwood. It does have a couple of things I didn't need but I simply ignore them. Very helpful guy who knew his stuff. Just got back from a couple of months touring Spain etc. very pleased.

I won't quote a model etc. as what you want is probably different to me, but they seemed to have a good range of possibles.

I did try Halfords but their range seemed a bit limited.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I had one fitted and reception kept on dropping in and out. Was told I needed a better Ariel approx £250!
Didn't bother.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi
Unfortunately one of the issues of DAB, is, like FM before it, the signal is largely "Line of Sight". So like "Cell" phones it relies on a series of "relay" re-transmitters. Great in urban area`s and local to (say) Motorways etc;.(y) No use whatsoever in remoter parts of the country(s).:(. Short of having a Satellite system, "They work, but not as we would want"! Jim:whistle:

My old "Halicrafter" could pick a Broadcast up 3000Miles from Land. (Short Wave!):D(y) and whilst I had to accept crackle and whistle, I could at least follow a programme.

I still have a "short wave" radio. Sony, bought about 1968/70, in Kuwait?, Has FM, Long, Medium, and 2 Short wave Bands. Sits happily in the "man cave".

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
I had one fitted and reception kept on dropping in and out. Was told I needed a better Ariel approx £250!
Didn't bother.

I already have a DAB radio fitted, and put a £15 aerial from Halfords on top of the awning box, great reception ! Think £250 would get you a NASA cast-off, which is possibly more than you really require.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have a all singing & dancing Clarion but plenty of others in the range. The Clarions aren't as power hungry as the Pioneers & Kenwoods so a good choice for the Motorhome.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We only used the DAB in the UK, no signal abroad, but we had perfect reception right the way down (and up) country. Think it does rely on having a proper aerial. Ours was around £35 if I remember correctly and Autosounds insisted they fit it or reception would be no good. No complaints.

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
We only used the DAB in the UK, no signal abroad, but we had perfect reception right the way down (and up) country. Think it does rely on having a proper aerial. Ours was around £35 if I remember correctly and Autosounds insisted they fit it or reception would be no good. No complaints.

Where did you (they) fit it to ?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
As above, a small aerial on the inside top left of the windscreen.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks. Explains why we didn't get anything - we didn't travel through the current active areas!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back