Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I just remembered something that i noticed on out last MH outing.
Driving up the road from our house we noticed it was had to get a radio station tuned , only the odd one worked ok, with loads faint / unable to get locked onto by the radio tuner.
at the time i just put it down to a problem with the local transmitter and continued driving on our travels.
a few days & a few 100 miles later and i was tuning in the radio while we were parked up, the radio station was nice and clear , we got something to eat etc then i started up the MH , thats when i noticed the drop in quality of the radio signal , further tests/ experiments concluded that i could have a great clear signal which would degrade in quality once the ignition is turned on , even with the engine not running , as i originally thought it was interference from the alternator, but nope it happened as soon as i turned on the ignition.
is there any thing i could put in between the aerial and radio to cut out interference ?
having said that when i had the radio removed before i seen the aerial lead and it did not seem to have much play in it for me to work on it.
Also where does the aerial lead goo to,,like what is the aerial ? as i cannot see and aerial outside the MH.
MH is a Bessacarr E560 2007

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Do you have sat nav or dash cam plugged into cig sockets or usb ? Try unplugging and see what happens.
If so it`s probably that causing the problem, I speak from experience and I too find it very annoying.
Roadhawk told me to fit ferrite rings on the power lead, made no difference so I bought a hardwire kit to fit in moho. (previously used in car)
This contains a box of tricks supposed to cut out interference.
Fitted but mot tested yet.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
that i am not sure of , as i think the phone / sat nav was plugged in.
next day i notice the issue ill remove any usb items plugged in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Your radio aerial is probably in the nearside mirror housing - 'tis in ours, very similar MH/age.

Have had an issue with different things plugged in (netbook we use for navigation) but satnav seems to be okay (TomTom Live 1005)

rickscott

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Ellon, Aberdeenland
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
2, previous 12 caravanning
Apparently the voltage reducers in the USB cigar lighter sockets make an incredible amount of electrical 'noise' and have a big impact on the radio reception
I had similar problems in a couple of vehicles until I found out what the problem was thanks to an auto electrician mate of mine informing me.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
OK, tested hardwire kit for road hawk in MoHo and no interference (y)
Using supplied cable into cig socket (not USB) in car made radio unlistenable.
Need to have a rethink for car

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Apparently the voltage reducers in the USB cigar lighter sockets make an incredible amount of electrical 'noise' and have a big impact on the radio reception
I had similar problems in a couple of vehicles until I found out what the problem was thanks to an auto electrician mate of mine informing me.

I was just going to mention this. USB converters that plug in the lighter socket are what is called Switch mode power supplies. They switch on and off very fast (usually around 100Khz) and this is a square wave which generates massive harmonics. The cheaper ones do cause RFI.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
ill prob not get around to eliminating some usb items until next week , ill let yous know if i find any difference.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back