Radio/electronic knowledge help please (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
l have one of these Al-car easinavs radio in my fiat, I slid it out today to plug a new aerial in and I noticed that the blue thing looked like the spade end was coming out so I pulled it out and pushed it back in, now the unit doesn’t work at all....

The wire from the blue thing goes to a switch I have on the dash to switch the unit on with the ignition off...

I have power going into the unit and power going through the 10amp fuse at the rear of the unit...

i Have pulled and checked every fuse I can find with a multimeter...

The lights on the unit come on when I put the vehicle head lights on as they should...

I’ve checked every connection amongst the mass of wiring at the back and redone one connector as it felt loose ....

Would there be a fuse in the unit itself ?

Any suggestions or ideas what to do next..?

What is the blue thing..?

09303D40-8D72-4B05-AF03-4A1C4BF87896.jpeg
DE2526CD-9A1D-4CFA-8E54-34E57F314F45.jpeg

I’ve been looking at other radios recently and it looks like it might be sooner then I thought... these German units are still for sale at over €1000 although updated.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Looks like I’m buying a new unit, anyone got any recommendations...?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Normally there are two inline fuses one for the main supply & one for the memory circuit. The main supply will also be fed from a fuse in the fusebox on the left hand side below the steering wheel.
The switch on the dash does it change it over to the Hab battery when parked, if so if will probably be fed from a fuse in the Elektroblock.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
If it's a diode it is to stop voltage feeding into the ignition circuit when you power the radio from a non-ignition fed circuit. IE if you have parked up and switched off the ignition and you want to put the radio on you may have a different switch to do that. PROBABLY the diode is fitted into the incoming power from the ignition, tho for safety I'd expect one on your switch side as well. The diode could fail short circuit or open circuit (tho it would be unlikely to happen) probably you have physically broken an internal connection to it.

Bet it's a cheap fix. Either get an auto-electrician to check it, or spend more time with a multimeter looking for voltages going into the "signal" wire to the radio, both with the ignition on and also with the radio switch on. Don't buy a new radio yet !!

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Normally there are two inline fuses one for the main supply & one for the memory circuit. The main supply will also be fed from a fuse in the fusebox on the left hand side below the steering wheel.
The switch on the dash does it change it over to the Hab battery when parked, if so if will probably be fed from a fuse in the Elektroblock.

Thanks Lenny, the switch’s on the dash are for turning on the radio with ignition off and another switch to activate the rear camera these switches are connected in some way as I have to toggle them both to get a combination of what I want do, ie: radio or camera.

I’ve checked all fuses and I’m getting power going into the unit it the ignition is on or off. I’m going to try and sort out all the wiring today as there’s a mass of it behind the radio and I’m sure a lot of it is not needed and I’m going to simplify it and tidy it up...

I’m not good with electrics but I seem to get there in the end, my reversing camera comes through the unit so I either have to get it working or buy a new one...

Thanks..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If it's a diode it is to stop voltage feeding into the ignition circuit when you power the radio from a non-ignition fed circuit. IE if you have parked up and switched off the ignition and you want to put the radio on you may have a different switch to do that. PROBABLY the diode is fitted into the incoming power from the ignition, tho for safety I'd expect one on your switch side as well. The diode could fail short circuit or open circuit (tho it would be unlikely to happen) probably you have physically broken an internal connection to it.

Bet it's a cheap fix. Either get an auto-electrician to check it, or spend more time with a multimeter looking for voltages going into the "signal" wire to the radio, both with the ignition on and also with the radio switch on. Don't buy a new radio yet !!

You posted as I was writing above.... I’m going to re-check everything today and will be back...(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks Lenny, the switch’s on the dash are for turning on the radio with ignition off and another switch to activate the rear camera these switches are connected in some way as I have to toggle them both to get a combination of what I want do, ie: radio or camera.

I’ve checked all fuses and I’m getting power going into the unit it the ignition is on or off. I’m going to try and sort out all the wiring today as there’s a mass of it behind the radio and I’m sure a lot of it is not needed and I’m going to simplify it and tidy it up...

I’m not good with electrics but I seem to get there in the end, my reversing camera comes through the unit so I either have to get it working or buy a new one...

Thanks..
When you checked the power were you certian there was power on the main supply, normally the power feeds are a yellow wire & a red one, which one is power and which one is memory varies on the vehicle but yellow from the radio should be main power.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Fixed...(y)

I sorted a few connections that didn’t feel right and it worked as soon as I put the unit back on...

Must have been a dodgy one although they all seemed to be tight in the connections...

There’s all sorts at the back there that I have no clue what it’s for...(n) box’s and weird stuff that’s all to do with gps, traffic signals and alarm...
spaghetti junction has nothing compared to the back of my dash:eek:

Thanks for your help...

Now what can I come up with now to buy a new one....:cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back