apollomtb

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I think my radiator is nearing the end as temperature gradually climbs above N at motorway speeds. I have a 1992 Hymer B544 with Fiat 2.5TD. My query is whether the radiator used the is the standard one from the Ducato. Probably a dumb question but Im still learning and dont want to buy the wrong thing.

Many thanks :thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I think my radiator is nearing the end as temperature gradually climbs above N at motorway speeds. I have a 1992 Hymer B544 with Fiat 2.5TD. My query is whether the radiator used the is the standard one from the Ducato. Probably a dumb question but Im still learning and dont want to buy the wrong thing.

Many thanks :thumb:

If you have reason to suspect your radiator don't be too hasty in splashing out on a new one, try backflushing it, i.e. remove the top and bottom radiator hoses, stick a hose pipe in the bottom and see if you can flush any sediment out through the top, if you do get sediment out it would probably be worh taking the radiator out altogether, inverting it and continue to flush through the bottom hose connector.

OP
OP
A

apollomtb

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Thanks for the suggestion. I have flushed it but not much sediment and only marginal change to the cooling. That is why I am starting to think it may be more likely the rad itself. I'd be pleased to be proved wrong about that though

Best wishes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Try the thermostat then, remove it, put in a pan of water and bring to the boil, see if the thermostat opens as the water heats up.

eric 83

Free Member
Jan 6, 2009
leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
30+yrs
there should be two cooling fans temperature controlled are they,or one of them coming on ? if not check why. i have only ever had one come on on ours which has the same motor.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
a usefull and inexpensive item to buy, is an infared thermometer. You just aim it at whatever you want tested and it gives you the temp. It would be usefull to see whether the WHOLE rad is heating evenly, or whether there is hardened sediment in sections, it also shows you how hot the rad hoses are, and when the thermostat opens (pipe temp changes), this could indicate a jammed thermostat (or a fixed open one if you are getting no heat into the cab)....like i said, they are very cheap now, and you dont REAlllY need one that is surgically accurate, just one that shows a
difference in temperature.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back