Rabies vaccine for older, ill dogs (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have to have a new rabies shot for susie for coming back into Britain after spending the winter in france...as she is now 14 years old and reading on the net the dangers of the rabies vaccine especially for older ill dogs, she is on heart medicine and water tablets for fluid retention, I want to know if any other dogs have had a bad reaction to the rabies vaccine.
We are considering postponing our trip as we don't want this vaccine to do any irreparable damage to our Susie's already bad and enlarged heart, she has congenital heart disease.

I would rather spend her last months in Britain than put her through anything like the side effects I have read about, she started getting aggressive to other dogs at exactly the time she had her last rabies vaccine and have at last realised that some of the changes in her are due to the rabies vaccine.

So any advice would be very gratefully received???

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
isn't the requirement being dropped after Christmas.

No, not being dropped. The rules are changing but rabies jab still ESSENTIAL.

Best thing is to visit your vet, who knows your dog and her medical history. I've not noticed any problems with any of mine after their boosters, but they are still quite young.

From January 2012 the blood test is no longer necessary and a dog, cat or ferret may travel into the UK 21 days after a rabies jab.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Just had a look at the defra website and the vaccine is still essential but wanted to know the inns and out of out of the effects of the vaccine especially on an older dog, anyone have any first hand knowledge?
As to the vet knowing her history, not one vet will know it as we move around a lot and have visited numerous vets here and in Ireland, we had to produce some history from other vets to get continuing medicine for her heart problem.

Simba

Free Member
May 17, 2010
Basildon, Essex. UK
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
Since 2009-2013
No, not being dropped. The rules are changing but rabies jab still ESSENTIAL.

Best thing is to visit your vet, who knows your dog and her medical history. I've not noticed any problems with any of mine after their boosters, but they are still quite young.

From January 2012 the blood test is no longer necessary and a dog, cat or ferret may travel into the UK 21 days after a rabies jab.

Will be interested to see what happens with this, as one of our dogs failed the blood test and had to have rabies jab again, followed by another blood test. How will they know if rabies jab has taken.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back