Rabies jab alert - get them sorted now!!! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you are wanting to take your pooch/cat/ferret abroad soon get their rabies jabs sorted NOW!

We're still hoping that we can get away to Spain over winter (even though it's a slim chance), consequently I've been trying to sort out various thing, one of the first being to get the dog's rabies jabs done as we have to wait 21 days after before they can travel abroad. Tazzy is okay until January but Lily's ran out in September and Minky has never had one so it makes sense to do them all at the same time ... making that decison was the 'easy' bit!

Unfortunately our own vet has suspended doing rabies jabs at present, however the receptionist was willing to 'sneak' us in, great stuff thinks I :giggle: ... er no as the first slot they have is for 15th December! :oops: Madness as this would mean we couldn't even contemplate going away until after the New Year. :eek:

Consequently I've been ringing round other vets and found that some aren't taking on new clients, others aren't doing the jabs at all as they have no approved vet for doing the AHCs, however I found one who is another 'franchise' of the same group who said they could do the jabs and a subsequent AHC but only if I could confirm that our own vet wouldn't be doing AHCs (not that we'll be using them due to their high cost). I confirmed this with our vet so rang the other back and have registered an account with them and got an appointment for Monday for our 3 at a cost of £45 each (it's actually £49 at our own vet but even so I'd have stuck with them if they'd been able to do it sooner in order to keep things simple). They new vet are going to ask for the our dog's records to be forwarded onto them so I rang our vet and explained why we're using the other one, ie we need the jabs doing sooner, so they've agreed to keep our account open as we'll still use them in the future for meds, Minxy's spaying etc.

I'm so glad I decided to do this now as we then have the option of escaping on 14th December (just booked the crossings) :cool: - if I'd left it another week it wouldn't been too late as no way would we travel so close to Christmas as it'd be manic.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
If you are wanting to take your pooch/cat/ferret abroad soon get their rabies jabs sorted NOW!

We're still hoping that we can get away to Spain over winter (even though it's a slim chance), consequently I've been trying to sort out various thing, one of the first being to get the dog's rabies jabs done as we have to wait 21 days after before they can travel abroad. Tazzy is okay until January but Lily's ran out in September and Minky has never had one so it makes sense to do them all at the same time ... making that decison was the 'easy' bit!

Unfortunately our own vet has suspended doing rabies jabs at present, however the receptionist was willing to 'sneak' us in, great stuff thinks I :giggle: ... er no as the first slot they have is for 15th December! :oops: Madness as this would mean we couldn't even contemplate going away until after the New Year. :eek:

Consequently I've been ringing round other vets and found that some aren't taking on new clients, others aren't doing the jabs at all as they have no approved vet for doing the AHCs, however I found one who is another 'franchise' of the same group who said they could do the jabs and a subsequent AHC but only if I could confirm that our own vet wouldn't be doing AHCs (not that we'll be using them due to their high cost). I confirmed this with our vet so rang the other back and have registered an account with them and got an appointment for Monday for our 3 at a cost of £45 each (it's actually £49 at our own vet but even so I'd have stuck with them if they'd been able to do it sooner in order to keep things simple). They new vet are going to ask for the our dog's records to be forwarded onto them so I rang our vet and explained why we're using the other one, ie we need the jabs doing sooner, so they've agreed to keep our account open as we'll still use them in the future for meds, Minxy's spaying etc.

I'm so glad I decided to do this now as we then have the option of escaping on 14th December (just booked the crossings) :cool: - if I'd left it another week it wouldn't been too late as no way would we travel so close to Christmas as it'd be manic.
Yeah it's a nightmare and prices are rising because of supply vs demand. Serious shortage of vets in the uk thanks to Brexit.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Vets are struggling at the moment, we have 3 pets and they had their vaccination booster jabs delayed as the vet is fully booked, they are not taking new clients either.

Jun 22, 2015
lancs
Funster No
MH
carthago 5.8 c line
Exp
since 2006
Yeah it's a nightmare and prices are rising because of supply vs demand. Serious shortage of vets in the uk thanks to Brexit.
how the hell can it be Brexit,s fault.............over one million people bought a pet during lock down, 80% of them will have registered with a vet by now.....theres your problem !

Jun 11, 2011
Derby
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840 SE
Exp
We have a new to us pooch (April) all vax' boosted up now, asked about AHC and Rabies jab quoted £65.00 and £132.00 respectively.
I had almost forgotten how expensive vets are.

BROKEN LINK BROKEN LINK

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Not just Brexit

Jun 22, 2015
lancs
Funster No
MH
carthago 5.8 c line
Exp
since 2006
Not just Brexit
I'll say it again........whats that got to do with Brexit

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

Do AHIC papers get checked going out of the UK?
My experience of going through the tunnel out to calais was that no checks were carried out on dogs ,until you came back from France.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Do AHIC papers get checked going out of the UK?
My experience of going through the tunnel out to calais was that no checks were carried out on dogs ,until you came back from France.
1. Yes
2. That was before Br*x*t

Jun 22, 2015
lancs
Funster No
MH
carthago 5.8 c line
Exp
since 2006
Nov 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
c class
We paid £50 for the rabies jab and £250 for the AHC ( which only lasts 4 months) somebody making plenty out of that. All that was previously required was a passport and worming before returning to UK.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
tried to paste but couldnt on iPad but
’Minxy’s spaying ? 😲😲😲

Minxy Girl
Well spotted! :giggle: I'm used to typing my user name rather than Minky's name!

Wouldn't be much point in spaying me as when I'm out the 'boys' don't get all hot and bothered about me anymore! :LOL:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We paid £50 for the rabies jab and £250 for the AHC ( which only lasts 4 months) somebody making plenty out of that. All that was previously required was a passport and worming before returning to UK.
Hi and welcome to the Fun!
:welcome3:

You appear to be in Spain so should be able to get a Spanish pet passport issued while you are out there. Ideally this would have the existing rabies vaccination info transferred over from the AHC but vets vary considerably as to what they will or won’t do, so you might have to ask a few. Also, if a further rabies vaccination is a requirement, you are most likely to get a 3-year booster in the more northern regions of Spain. Those in the south tend to stick to annual boosters.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
apart from them now having to fill a whopping great form out and charging you a whopping amount of money for do so ........nothings changed because of Brexit
Yes it has. There is a shortage of actual vets which would have been filled by eu vets in the past.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Can we please keep this thread on the subject of rabies jabs rather than a certain 6 letter word ... ta.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Can we please keep this thread on the subject of rabies jabs rather than a certain 6 letter word ... ta.
Well said(y)

Also are you getting your European pet passport whilst traveling? wondered how you would get on as for the rabies jab and will they transfer it over from your documents as they have only just been given?
We used a very good vet in Rochefort for passport and jab. If your passing we can highly recommend them. Worth asking question before but she was very good to deal with. No French address and we had no issues coming home. If you need the address let me know(y)

Jun 22, 2015
lancs
Funster No
MH
carthago 5.8 c line
Exp
since 2006
Well said(y)

Also are you getting your European pet passport whilst traveling? wondered how you would get on as for the rabies jab and will they transfer it over from your documents as they have only just been given?
We used a very good vet in Rochefort for passport and jab. If your passing we can highly recommend them. Worth asking question before but she was very good to deal with. No French address and we had no issues coming home. If you need the address let me know(y)
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Thanks for your post Minxy Girl about the Jab.
I rang a Vet earlier (we are in Norfolk at present) and found they would give the jab for £51 and weren’t bothered that we weren’t going to registered with them, as Pip has no med history yet and we carry the vaccination record with us she getting her jab tomorrow PM!
When we eventually go to a France I’m going to see if our friend’s vet will sort the EU Passport for her.

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
Why as Brexit caused a shortage of vets?
They used to come, stay a few years then go home. With some staying longterm. Now its much more difficult to come in the first place, and the numbers doing so have dropped dramatically. Brexit is an issue in vet numbers, despite what those Brexiteers who can't see any downsides caused by Brexit may think..

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for that Aireworth. You've mentioned previously that you're a vet, so I for one, find your insights very useful.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
They used to come, stay a few years then go home. With some staying longterm. Now its much more difficult to come in the first place, and the numbers doing so have dropped dramatically. Brexit is an issue in vet numbers, despite what those Brexiteers who can't see any downsides caused by Brexit may think..

Ahem ....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back