Aug 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Low line Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years
Hi all,

Having problems with my Vet, re getting rabies blood test. The vet had a blood test from my dog 19 days ago. We checked if the blood test results were in after about 12 days to be told they had not been received yet. Now the vet has told us we need for our dog to give another blood sample as the first blood sample is out of date. They have told us that they were using an EU approved laboratory in Germany and their 3 attempts at filling in the submission form had all been rejected.

My question is, which laboratory did your vet use? According to DEFRA there are two in the UK
a) Aphascientific at Weybridge, Surrey.
b) Biotest at Edinburgh.

Our vet has charged £173 for the blood serology test only, excluding consultation.

I notice that Aphascientic charges £58 and Biotest charges £66.

To add to the intrigue, another vet we have approached today to sound out tells use they send their blood samples via an intermediary vet called Axiom.

What are your experiences?

Paul
P.S. we are going to see our original vet later to get the full details of the problem. The first question will be, ‘Why are you using a laboratory in Germany?’.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Our vet sent it to Biotest,and it cost £75 in total,including the consultation. It took three weeks to get the result.
It looks like your vet is incompetent and a rip off.
You could send a blood sample directly to Biotest........see their website

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our vet used Alphascientific and total cost was half your quote. South Moor Vets, Ivybridge, Devon. About a two and a half hour drive from where you are.

Not sure you can take the blood sample yourself. How can they be sure the blood comes from your dog? A vet will scan the microchip and link it to the blood sample.

Of course you may not need it for a while...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
My question is, which laboratory did your vet use? According to DEFRA there are two in the UK
a) Aphascientific at Weybridge, Surrey.
b) Biotest at Edinburgh.

Correct there are only EU recognised rabies blood testing laboratories in the UK

https://assets.publishing.service.g.../file/761807/rabies-approved-laboratories.pdf

Our vet used Biobest in Edinburgh, total charge for 2 dogs £180

Biobest do accept rabies samples direct from pet owners provided all paperwork is correctly filled in, including the signature of the vet who has taken the sample. Please note that due to the extra administrative work associated with invoicing non-account customers the price is £75 (inc VAT) rather than £55 (ex VAT).

Having problems with my Vet, re getting rabies blood test. The vet had a blood test from my dog 19 days ago. We checked if the blood test results were in after about 12 days to be told they had not been received yet. Now the vet has told us we need for our dog to give another blood sample as the first blood sample is out of date. .
Biobest recommend blood sampling 30 days after vaccination. For entry into the UK from non-listed countries there is a minimum period of 30 days between vaccination and blood sampling. Regulations for entry into other countries (e.g. Australia) vary and before arranging vaccination and blood testing it is best to confirm the current legislation with the relevant animal health authority.

Pete

OP
OP
J

Justamil

Free Member
Aug 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Low line Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years
Hi all,

Just seen our vet. Very unsatisfactory answers, so we had our money back. They use an intermediary laboratory, Idexx. The vet said he thought ( only thought mind you) that Idexx had sent the sample to the German laboratory. Why? he didn’t know. But according to the Idexx website they use Biotest. All in all doesn’t make sense, hence we had our money back. Another vet has rung back (via receptionist) to say they use a laboratory in Scotland. So we will try there.

Paul.
P.S. we shouldn’t have to do all this homework to get something that will become commonplace due to Bre__hit.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Our vet used Alphascientific and total cost was half your quote. South Moor Vets, Ivybridge, Devon. About a two and a half hour drive from where you are.

Not sure you can take the blood sample yourself. How can they be sure the blood comes from your dog? A vet will scan the microchip and link it to the blood sample.

Of course you may not need it for a while...
You don’t take the blood sample yourself. As I said.........
See website!!!!!!!

OP
OP
J

Justamil

Free Member
Aug 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Low line Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years
Hi all,

Thanks for the info.

I have done some research locally and here are the results:-

Vet _______Vaccination £.___Serology £.___Laboratory

1._____________42____________140________Axiom. To Biobest
2._____________57____________195.85_____Idexx. To Biobest
3._____________47____________197_______ Idexx. To Biobest
4._____________48.20__________139.02_____Axiom. To Biobest
5._____________35_____________92_______ Biobest direct
6._____________47.26__________110_______Axiom. To Biobest
7._____________39.50___________99_______Apha. direct
8._____________60____________193_______ Idexx. To Biobest

I hope you can see a pattern, cheapest are those vets that deal directly with the E.U. testing laboratories, the next cheapest are the vets that use the Axiom intermediary laboratory and the most expensive use the intermediary laboratory Idexx.

I’ve learnt a lot, guess which vet is getting my custom - already booked.

Paul

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I'm taking my dog to France in July. He will not have had a blood test
If a deal, no blood test required
Else we have until 31st October as nothing will change, unless I'm mistaken.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
thats my understanding.. we are off 1st June (for 3 weeks) and again First week September (for 3 weeks), with no blood tests

OP
OP
J

Justamil

Free Member
Aug 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Low line Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years
thats my understanding.. we are off 1st June (for 3 weeks) and again First week September (for 3 weeks), with no blood tests

Above and Larry absolutely true. But eventually we leave the E.U. unless by some miracle we see sense and revoke article 50. So a Serology certificate we be needed in the future. The next break point may be end of June (EU may invoke no deal if enough progress has not been made), then there is the end of October. I prefer to be ready and beat the rush, not put my head in the sand.

Paul

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Above and Larry absolutely true. But eventually we leave the E.U. unless by some miracle we see sense and revoke article 50. So a Serology certificate we be needed in the future. The next break point may be end of June (EU may invoke no deal if enough progress has not been made), then there is the end of October. I prefer to be ready and beat the rush, not put my head in the sand.

Paul
Not quite correct..... when/if we leave hopefully it will be with a deal, in which case you will not need a blood test. only if we leave without a deal and classed as a third world country:( will you need the blood test.
As for burying my head in the sand... i would prefer to think of it as "not rising to all the hysteria" at the end of the day my June and Sept visits are holidays and should the requirement change, then my holidays can change, (y)it really is no big deal.

Elizabeth leese

Free Member
Apr 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Kanus
Exp
1 2 mouths

Elizabeth leese

Free Member
Apr 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Kanus
Exp
1 2 mouths
We are going in August with our dog which failed the blood test but know brexit as being put back to October there not a problem this what I understand as nothing as changed at Hall

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back