R V (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We sold our 2002 Challenger 335 in similar condition, five years ago for that price. (Privately) It had leather front seats and other things that this curiously does not appear to have like an awning and even more curiously air con ( other than in cab. ) I also wonder if that carpet runner by the door is hiding something.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
put me in the stupid category then :rolleyes:

You cannot possible foresee every obstacle or problem.. even with the best maps and a wealth of experience .. 'stuck' means going somewhere you have to reverse out of, or having do a 9 point turn .... stuck is going into a site then finding low branches.. and having to reverse back along a narrow site road.. stuck can be coming across an unexpected road closure with a diversion that is totally unsuitable for your outfit.. stuck can be many things.. and you don't need to be stupid to get 'stuck'... it happens to everyone with a bit outfit,.. sooner or later..
That isn't 'stuck', that is unforeseen situations, and that can happen to any vehicle, irrespective of size!
I have had to reverse artics for hundreds of meters, I have come across low bridges in the middle of cities, I have been deterred from progress, but never 'stuck'.
I have walked considerable distances before attempting to proceed with a large vehicle. I have had to 'go back' even in a car, because roads have been impassable.
What I am saying is if you are entering into an unknown area (campsite, or similar) you must think to yourself, 'what will I do if I can't go much further'? 'Where will I turn around'? 'What if'? and be prepared to abandon the idea, and not press on regardless.
Unlike some so called 'professionals' that continue and get really stuck between buildings for example, because they have followed the sat nav! Now they are stupid!

Craig

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
With regard to maintenance costs, the usual consumables (oil, spark plugs, HT leads et cetera) are no dearer than for any other vehicle.
When you rip off part of your exhaust :whistle:
or the alternator packs up, it can be fixed as easily and cheaply as any Eurobox. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Unlike some so called 'professionals' that continue and get really stuck between buildings for example, because they have followed the sat nav! Now they are stupid!
I remember going to a conference a while ago and 2 delegates were really late. They had followed their sat nav exactly and when it asked them to turn up an unmade road through a 5 barred gate, they followed and found themselves well and truly 'stuck' in the farmers corn field. Both had to get the farmer to tow them out.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
That is a 6.5 L diesel. What would the fuel consumption be , anyone know ?
12-14 mpg?
Additionally being over 10m isn't that the MH maximum length on the boats ?
Not far out with the mpg, but I think the length is incorrect. I have been on a few ferries with my 5th wheel, booked as a car and large caravan, and no problems at 44ft (13.4m) coupled length. I know of one or two that frequent the ferry to and from the IOM that are 13m. And there are plenty of RVs at 12m using ferries. A standard trailer for an arctic is around 13.5m.

Craig

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes the only reason I asked is that on DFDS site it only gives motorhome below4,35m in height x 7m length or 10m length ?

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
There's an old saying... Horses for courses, ipso facto... RVs in general are made in America where there are big roads and cheap fuel..... anywhere outside will be a challenge and therefore a bargain to be had. Its all relative, you pays your money and makes your choice. I personally would brick it having to drive one, but if I had been a coach or lorry driver I would love one.
:xThumb::xgrin:

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
the only hard part is lhd and the width.
but saying that i did drive hgv and coaches for a long time

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
thought i would let the thread run a bit before i come back in,i will not be buying the one in the OP but will not now dismiss buying an rv in the future,i am in no rush,then again i might spot a bargain and jump at it,and no carol i won't be buying another narrow-boat,the size does not bother me, bigger the better,the fuel cost are what they are when it needs fuel put some in, but i must say if i buy and RV it would have to be petrol /lpg converted love the sound of a big v8 burbling away(its a man thing) and auto with slides and roll out awning, it might end up touring around Spain or Portugal it might not,it won't be going to France but will be doing a little touring around the uk,another couple of months and i will know what i will be doing, one thing for sure i have got to get the wife out of her 60 hour week job,thats my priority at the moment.
but i thank you all for your input good or bad and i have taken on board all of it.:xThumb:

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
They're not that hard to drive, I drive ours and I've only got a small girly car and never driven coaches or hgv. It's just like driving a big box.

Don't forget, you got witnesses Alan!!:xrofl:. ( or Loren!!)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
R-V`s. I love them, BUT they are yet another "Marmite" thing. The one in the Avtar was 32ft, No slides, and it did 15K miles of America over 5 wonderful years back and forth to the USA.

The Two I had Here both went to Europe on many occasions, the first a 28ft Pace Arrow was a Nice handy size but had access issues for SWMBO. The second an Odessa Pusher (again no slides) was a dream boat, in layout but with lots of "challenges" of the Maintenance / Reliability order!. In the end we Parted with it, albeit reluctantly because I was approaching 70 and Not wanting to Pay even more money out for Medicals! to keep driving it. I have records which show we did 13MPG to Spain and Back, (6.5td) towing a Car ("A" frame, and YES I got "pulled", 3 Times and let off!). Which was one of the reasons we started to R-V in the USA where they are not so Stupid about such things (or as ageist).

As for use on British and European Roads, providing care with navigation is taken. there is (or was for me) really no problem, OK I got caught out a couple of times in France mostly, often the result of the French desire to re-number roads just for fun!. Being left hookers makes for interesting exits onto roundabouts in the UK, but then the way you set up position can and does make all the difference. IF I make one observation, one reason a lot buy and then sell up quickly has to do with the fact that many ladies do not like riding the so called "suicide seat" in the UK!.

Perhaps the biggest drawback IS camp-site access, over the years a lot of sites have had pitches cut up by bad driving, with anything from R-V`s to Caravans, However when someone make a hash of it with an R-V, the damage is most likely to be greater (size and Mass) and you are guaranteed to have a larger audience watching the "fun"!. This translates to a desire amongst site owners / "wardens" (especially of the CC variety) to wish to ban or restrict "Americans". As for Spanish / Euro, camp-sites, I have been on some very tight ones, and on hillsides!. Most are 80sqM and with care are accessible, most R-V`s have a greater wheel cut that your average "eurobox" which helps enormously, my Odessa benefited from a short(ish) wheelbase too.

I would also observe, that for reasons to do with the DVLA "cocking up" I re did my LGV as a re take, and that experience added to my awareness of and the confidence to continue to drive these desirable beasts, and even now I get really jealous when I see one on the road!. So if an old guy in a (3-1/2t) Rapido Flashes you, wave back! Please!!.

Pete

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
we will wave and flash back pete.
the wife now loves the suside seat and has stopped shouting "moveover, bollards"now

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back