Quiet rural roads face 40mph limits (1 Viewer)

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Many villages in this part of France have 30kph limits in the centre, especially around the schools. On many back roads the French system of priority from the right still applies - the road sign with a big X tells you that this applies, and believe me many older French drivers will pull straight out at these junctions, and I am always prepared for them to do so.:Doh: It is kept in force precisely to slow down drivers on such roads. And we have the same problems as you on rural roads with tractors taking up the whole road. Mind you we have much less traffic on our roads that is the case in the UK, so driving is still a pleasure!:thumb:
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
20 years ago I might have argued that 40mph was too slow but...
I live in Nuneaton and worked in Birmingham and in an attempt to break the tedium of M6/M42 gridlock, I used the B roads from Atherstone to Coleshill as a 'rat run', All very rural, lovely in Spring, Summer and Autumn and a twisty exhilarating drive up and down and round twisty roads, at times sunken below fields. Because I did it each way every day I had an intimate knowledge of each bend, each slight bump and places where braking could be delayed just a little bit longer.
Every so often heavy rain would run off the fields and form deep pools which could be scary but, all in all, it was an exciting drive.
Happily, nothing went wrong but one day I had a blinding revelation.
Each one of those blind bends or crests could conceal horse riders, cyclists, walkers or a delivery lorry from the nearby Aldi distribution centre straying over the white line. My intimate knowledge of the road did not extend to clairvoyance. So foot off gas.
As for policing rural speed limits over large areas, no need for police presence. An average speed camera network positioned to ringfence an area would do the job, as it can on suburban housing estates where I believe 20mph is the appropriate limit.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
i agree with speed limits in villages outside schools etc if every thing else is brought in to line. ie how far job centre expect you to travel for work. ivory55

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The low speed limits in French villages are enforced with very steep sleeping policemen. This at least indicates that they are trying to make you go slow rather than just trying to generate income from fines.
These ramps work brilliantly, you won't go fast over them twice:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back