Quickest ( cheapest ) way to Florence (1 Viewer)

Apr 20, 2016
Donny
Funster No
MH
Toyota convertion
Exp
Since 2018
Hi,

We’re wanting to surprise the step son by arriving in Florence when he’s there.

Questions
Which way shall we go? I don’t mind paying some tolls.

We’re heading from Calais or Dunkirk a week on Monday. We have a small campervan 2.5 litre that is ok on hills but chugs a bit.

We’ve done the Brennan Pass last year from Germany mostly downhill.

I fancy trying the Gotthard Tunnel and through Switzerland.

Advice much appreciated from the experienced travelers amongst you.
Thanks in advance :D

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Gotthard tunnel is excellent, I did it for first time this year but we're over 3.5 ton
Just check which vignette you need to enter Switzerland. Others will be along to advise.
Brings you out near maggorie.

OP
OP
Skyblue
Apr 20, 2016
Donny
Funster No
MH
Toyota convertion
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks for that (y)

Am I right in thinking that a vignette for Switzerland gives you access to the Gotthard Tunnel without having to pay extra?

Also - which way would you suggest to it from Calais.

I’ve put it in apple maps but it’s not clear which way to go (n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I go Calais to Luxembourg then to Basel toll free apart from a small tunnel I get caught at in france. Nice easy drive week next Saturday I am going to try Calais to Maggiore in 1 hit I reckon it can be done. Last trip that way I stopped at Lucerne for 1 night.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just type Calais - Florence into Google Maps and read off 850 miles. Make small adjustments if you feel like it.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
OK you've had the sensible answer, now for the daft one..........

Get on the Magic Roundabout.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

OP
OP
Skyblue
Apr 20, 2016
Donny
Funster No
MH
Toyota convertion
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks for your replies.

Yep - I did the google ( with and without tolls ) just thought I may be missing a trick and some
Beautiful Scenery so wanted some first hand info. We won’t be going back that way as heading up to Berlin probably Venice Slovenia ( but we will get a vignette this time! )

I have heard of the other roads mentioned.

Can someone please tell me more about the magic roundabout pass? :LOL:

OP
OP
Skyblue
Apr 20, 2016
Donny
Funster No
MH
Toyota convertion
Exp
Since 2018
Haaaa ha-ha ha-ha
Ha-ha-ha-ha haaaaa

( laughed to the tune )

Gotta get serious - although why should we :roflmto:

That’ll teach me for trying to plan.

OP
OP
Skyblue
Apr 20, 2016
Donny
Funster No
MH
Toyota convertion
Exp
Since 2018
I go Calais to Luxembourg then to Basel toll free apart from a small tunnel I get caught at in france. Nice easy drive week next Saturday I am going to try Calais to Maggiore in 1 hit I reckon it can be done. Last trip that way I stopped at Lucerne for 1 night.

Wow - that’s one heck of a drive (y)

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
When your limited to time you have to try I could fail and turn into Lucerne But I reckon it can be done last year I did Lake Constance to home non stop just a little wait at tunnell but I had to get my wife home double quick.

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I failed didn't even get to Switzerland but I'm Lucky I even got away. But that's story for another day I I'm now at Baccarat France Early to bed get through Swiss quick onto Maggiore is the plan.

OP
OP
Skyblue
Apr 20, 2016
Donny
Funster No
MH
Toyota convertion
Exp
Since 2018
I failed didn't even get to Switzerland but I'm Lucky I even got away. But that's story for another day I I'm now at Baccarat France Early to bed get through Swiss quick onto Maggiore is the plan.

Let me know how you get on. “Flexibility is the key “
We’re Intending on coming back that way now as heading to Berlin first and I know I can do that in a day (y)
I’m interested in knowing how much you pay for tolls and tunnels - especially in Switzerland.
Safe travels all :D

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
IMG_20180902_085210.jpg
Sitting in a parking area now in Switzerland having btesky. As I'm over 3.5t I pay the 10 day yearly ticket about 25quid allows you 10 single days within the year. I believe under is 40 Swiss francs for a year.
Here's a picture of the form if your over just tick same box as us.

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Oh and I caught at another tunnel in France 9.50 euros. This is tunnel le Menard or something like that few miles before Colmar

OP
OP
Skyblue
Apr 20, 2016
Donny
Funster No
MH
Toyota convertion
Exp
Since 2018
We’re under the 3.5 but worth noting. Thanks for the info.
I’m desperately searching the forum for routes and places to stay - I always like to pretend to plan and have some ideas in mind. ( although it never quite works out like that but that’s the beauty of it all )
Italy ideas
  • Lake Garda to see Verona
  • San Marino
  • Florence
  • Maybe Pisa - definately the coast that side for a swim
  • The 5 villages
Then back maybe the Gotthard tunnel.

How long are you away for?
Safe traveling

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I’m desperately searching the forum for routes and places to stay - I always like to pretend to plan and have some ideas in mind. ( although it never quite works out like that but that’s the beauty of it all )
Italy ideas
  • San Marino
  • Florence
  • The 5 villages

Safe traveling
We did 4 out of those 5 when we were there in the spring of 2016. Did not do Lake Garda.

Best was undoubtedly the Cinque Terre (5 villages ). We stayed at Camping Acqua Dulce in Levanto, which is a nice little Italian seaside resort, and we bought the railway pass to visit all 5 of the villages. Try the coastal walk between Monterosso and Vernazza. It is is hard work but you get fabulous views especially of the beautiful harbour in Vernazza. You will probably recognise it from countless jigsaw puzzles. Trouble is the area is a victim of its own success. It was busy when we were there in March and I hear it is packed solid in the summer. Sure I read somewhere that they were going to limit the number of railway passes they dish out each day.

Pisa was good and we stayed at the Aire there, which is run by the local motorhome club. From there you can easily walk to the Tower, which is well worth a visit. We got a bit overwhelmed by Florence, you need a week to see it all.

San Marino was good but now we have done it we would not go back. The only interesting bit is the old town on the top of the hill. The rest is full of cheap shops selling "duty free" tatt, just like Andorra. Do not try to take the moho up to the very top though. You can park and stay the night for free in Parcheggio (car park) P13 and from there it is a short walk to the cable car which will take you up to the main square in the old town. The car park has free dump and water. When we stayed in April we were all on our own, but I suspect it will get busy in the summer.

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Arrived safe and sound and sound missed a turning which lead to a great downhill rollercoaster style drive. Then around the lake was sketchy at times visions of opening side of van like a tin of beans lol. So I'm now sat up here at Broken Link Removed off for a walk about laters

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Italy ideas
  • San Marino
  • Florence
  • The 5 villages

Safe traveling

Still a wage slave so returning home about 2 weeks from now. I like camping Cornell's at Garda got recommended on here but loads of options.
I'm a bit like you don't realy plan I haven't got a clue what's to see or do here.But I e told the campsite I'll be here 3 nights then I may go to Rimini and go to Moto GP or I may stay longer near here I did look to see if possible was option I also fancy a Florentine steak. Or I could run along to Jeselo for a beautiful sandy beach and 5 star camping at Lido international with free karting and more. Too much too see and do not enuff time lol.
Tell me about 5 villages please

Last edited:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Pardon my ignorance but what is a Vignette?
Brian & Jo

OP
OP
Skyblue
Apr 20, 2016
Donny
Funster No
MH
Toyota convertion
Exp
Since 2018
I found some basic info just to give you an idea.

It’s the villages you see on all the pictures with the coloured houses. The one I have is obviously enhanced in some way.

Happy travels - how’s the weather?

Attachments

• EF2A3355-536A-40E9-9948-FB84FCA060A7.png
    EF2A3355-536A-40E9-9948-FB84FCA060A7.png
    361.8 KB · Views: 10
  • A6D42673-3BF3-48D6-AC0D-5119C320277F.jpeg
    A6D42673-3BF3-48D6-AC0D-5119C320277F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
OP
OP
Skyblue
Apr 20, 2016
Donny
Funster No
MH
Toyota convertion
Exp
Since 2018
Just about to hop on a ferry - Harwich to the Hook of Holland.

It’s going to be Germany first now, ending up
in Berlin next weekend.

Then definitely Italy but not sure which way in or out.

Happy travels :D

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

We will be doing that route in a few days but will have several stops :)

Pardon my ignorance but what is a Vignette?
Brian & Jo

The Vignette is a pass you need to go through Switzerland if your vehicle is less than 3.5 tonnes and you will be using motorways and tunnels. You can buy it in advance. It is basically a tax on foreign vehicles entering Switzerland but it does cover the tolls on motorways and tunnels. Over 3.5 tonnes and you need to buy an HGV pass at the border. My sister in law calls it a "Wig Net"

https://www.ch.ch/en/swiss-motorway-sticker/

https://www.ezv.admin.ch/ezv/en/hom...taxes/motorway-charge-sticker--vignette-.html

also has a link to the roads that you need the vignette in order to legally use them.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Oh, if you buy at the border you can pay in Euros but will be given change in Swiss Francs - and the exchange rate is not brilliant, but their country, their rules and if you go unprepared you should expect to pay more.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Quickest, I’d go through the Blanc, Aosta Valley, Milan, Piacenza, Bologna and then into Florence.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Isn't that pricey on tolls tunnel etc ?
Yep, very.
Oh, if you buy at the border you can pay in Euros but will be given change in Swiss Francs - and the exchange rate is not brilliant, but their country, their rules and if you go unprepared you should expect to pay more.
You can pay with a credit or debit card.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back