Free Member
Jul 29, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 RedlineSport
Exp
Moved from PVC to campervan
Hi I'd appreciate some advice from those with experience. We pick up our Elddis Impressa CV60 tomorrow (y) I've seen advice on filling fresh water tank which says 'fill with hose until it is full and comes back out' and I've seen advice that says 'use the water guage to make sure you don't overfill'.

Is overfilling a problem?

Many thanks all

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
The gauge will often say its 100% but the tank can often take 10 - 15 % more so you can overfill a bit. Often not wise to completely brim the tank as driving on rough or twisty roads with a brimmed tank can cause the inspection cap to work loose.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KMarkN

KMarkN

Free Member
Jul 29, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 RedlineSport
Exp
Ah I see, thanks Lenny. So once parked up onsite then brimming the tank isn't a problem?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
:welco:
Often not wise to completely brim the tank as driving on rough or twisty roads with a brimmed tank can cause the inspection cap to work loose.
Fallen foul of this on a few occasions. :rolleyes: Now I wait for the fourth of four green lights on the panel, then walk back to the tap and find this is the best optimum.(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KMarkN

KMarkN

Free Member
Jul 29, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 RedlineSport
Exp
Thanks again, very helpful. There isn't any mention of an inspection cap in the manual, so I will ask on Friday when I collect!

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our Elddis tank has an inspection cap. It was tight from new so never had a problem filling the tank until it overflows. 👍

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Yep only when traveling, just make sure the inspection cap is tight.
Just be mindful that 1litre of water is around 1 kilo if weight might be a consideration. Not sure I would want to travel with an additional 17 kilos in my case.
As I don’t free or wild camp I never need to take a hose with me - just a plastic 10 L Jerry can suits me and I therefor I also know how much I put into the tank - if it’s after lunch anyhow!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Just be mindful that 1litre of water is around 1 kilo if weight might be a consideration. Not sure I would want to travel with an additional 17 kilos in my case.
That's a small water tank. :rofl:
Always travel with our 160 Lt tank full.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We too travel full - 120Lts, when travelling around as we don't always know when we can get water again. On the odd occasion we go to the New Forest sites straight from home, we would travel empty or what's left from the last trip and fill on site

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
I dont know about the CV60 but our Elddis Autoquest has an overflow pipe on the tank.
I just keep filling until I hear water running out of the overflow.
Enjoy your CV60.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KMarkN

KMarkN

Free Member
Jul 29, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 RedlineSport
Exp
I dont know about the CV60 but our Elddis Autoquest has an overflow pipe on the tank.
I just keep filling until I hear water running out of the overflow.
Enjoy your CV60.

Thanks, that's helpful. Its actually the 2020 Autoquest manual that says 'be careful not to overfill the tank'. Ah well, I will try it over the weekend and see how it goes!

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Another consideration is how level are you when you fill the tank, and what side is the level sensor in the tank.
We’ve been on sites where the only tap you can get a hose on or has one is is by the entrance on a slope in various directions.
Fill to over flow every time then when level you find you’ve only got 3/4 of a tank or at over flow the meter says your at 1/2 full.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Another consideration is how level are you when you fill the tank, and what side is the level sensor in the tank.
We’ve been on sites where the only tap you can get a hose on or has one is is by the entrance on a slope in various directions.
Fill to over flow every time then when level you find you’ve only got 3/4 of a tank or at over flow the meter says your at 1/2 full.
Don't get that problem with air suspension but you do have remember to level the van after having it in the drain position. :rofl:
Been caught out a couple of times as the boss has filled while I'm dumping.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back