quick route through france to spain (1 Viewer)

sophiekins

Free Member
Mar 5, 2014
canary islands
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2007
hi all I'm new subscriber here be gentle !!. ive been looking through some discussions about driving down but none that fit my criteria;
I have a Spanish reg motorhome, it needs its itv beginning of feb. Ihave about 10 days hols to get to northern spain and back plus find an itv station and a vet for the dawg on the way back HELP!!
Is it possible in this time frame?
any good places to stop ?
non toll mostly please
and any itv stations as I get into spain , depending on where I enter I guess
many thanks for any replies
sophiekins

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
W0here are you setting off from? Congrats on your first post...welcome

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Here is info on ITV station at Irun...

Europa Kalea, 26, • 20300 Irun, Gipuzkoa, Spain
tuv.es 0034 943 62 63 00
https://www.tuv.com/es/spain/cita_previa_itv/info-itv_87114.jsp
Right on the border. Safe trip, remember France can be very cold in Jan / Feb so just plod on. I usually drive all the daylight hours and stop as soon as its dark...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Welcome to fun, :xThumb: I have never known this before it's always brits rushing back to the UK for the MOT. :xdoh:
As said the weather in France can be bad, we come down the west coast of france avoids high ground and snow, and ITV stations can be busy, so best book, you could get a ferry from the UK ( Portsmouth or Plymouth) to Spain ( Santander or Bilbao ) never done it ourselves we try and use the tunnel better for the dog. :xgrin: Bob.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you go through Som port tunnel then you could use Jaca https://itvcitaprevia.es/itv-jaca/ or Huesca & all in Aragon region are on here.

As others have said a cita previa would probably be needed.
Also something I found this afternoon that is useful for all with spanish vehicles is that from October just gone you can now itv up to one month before it expires with the same expiry date losing nothing. Same as in the UK . Here ;

Oh ! & :welco:

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
For ease of travel although maybe not cost then Brittany Ferry Portsmouth to Bilbao in two days or to Santander in one day giving you a little more time
or drive Calais - Le Mans - Niort - Hendaye but that could be 2-3 days travelling

ITV stations I can't help but others have

Sorry we don't travel with a dog anymore our little one went over the rainbow bridge in 2011

BKen

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Rojales Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
Never had a problem down here with ITV ,,have to wait 1hr max mid afternoon is best ,,, the city and Med coast ones will obviously busier than inland.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Never had a problem down here with ITV ,,have to wait 1hr max mid afternoon is best ,,, the city and Med coast ones will obviously busier than inland.
Used to be the same here until they "improved " it. :xdoh:Then "improved " it again. :xangry: Appointments are only for cars , not vans ,lorries or anything else. 2hours I waited this year as MH's go in with lorries + the testers on that lane also have to do reinspections. :cry: & that is getting there when gates open. Some days the police have attended as the industrial estate has ended up blocked.
Last year when the car needing doing before christmas I got there 30 minutes before gates opened , & there were 2 in front. By the time the gates opened at 8.am there were 30 vehicles queueing & when I came out it was 50 or 60. :cry:
Even worse is turning up & seeing 20 artics waiting or even worse 2 or 3 transporters on the opposite side of road unloading vehicles for re-reg. Which takes ages :mad:

Somewhere from Huesca via Jaca to som port I pass one itv station that I have never seen a vehicle in when open & have often waved to an employee :xlaugh: gazing out at the road. Just can't remember where it is.

To the OP the link for the ITv at Jaca I meant to add that it opens odd hours. No mornings & afternoons 3pm until 10pm but only 8pm saturdays.

OP
OP
S

sophiekins

Free Member
Mar 5, 2014
canary islands
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2007
thanks very much for your replies so far I will study them, we will be going through the tunnel and travelling down poss n10 route, just somewhere that gets us to spain in the least amount of time, so I'm not sure where we will enter spain. as to itv I don't mind turning up and waiting or book for the following day as you say m/h will be treated as a lorry in the bookings, thankyou to a great site questions will be more I'm sure !!

Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
thanks very much for your replies so far I will study them, we will be going through the tunnel and travelling down poss n10 route, just somewhere that gets us to spain in the least amount of time, so I'm not sure where we will enter spain. as to itv I don't mind turning up and waiting or book for the following day as you say m/h will be treated as a lorry in the bookings, thankyou to a great site questions will be more I'm sure !!

If you want to get into Spain around the Irun/Hendaye area then good route don't forget to set your Sat Nav to Easy and avoid Tolls not motorways as there are a few in that region that are free

there are quite a few Aires running down that route and a few sites still open -though where we stay doesn't open until March so won't help you

Have a safw trip and good luck for the ITV

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Recommendations for your route.
Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is an award winning database about France. It’s big and with a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. This route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large. Note: (HGV’s are not allowed on French roads, Sunday’s, so plan your journey over a weekend if possible).

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: We avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (about 2.50 euros). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (Fuel costs approx. €126.72. (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.20 per ltr. 3.5T motorhome)). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last toll booth and crossing the river. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, (or toll free costs) use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

Finally, probably the best off line maps ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

Watch out if you want to save time as toll roads in France can quickly rack up the cost of travel.

Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Watch out if you want to save time as toll roads in France can quickly rack up the cost of travel.

Just don't go too fast as the companies have minimum times it takes to pass toll booths if you go too fast you will probably find the gate doesn't open and the Autoroute Police attend

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
where on earth did you get that information from
It is also unlikely to have an average mph that high!

Reactions: f6c

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
ITV is a pain.

It’s Piers Morgan and Susannah Read more than anything else though:xangry:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
where on earth did you get that information from
It is also unlikely to have an average mph that high!
The information comes from my experience and knowledge from motorhoming and using this route over many years.
Not exactly sure what you mean when you say it is unlikely to have an average milage that high, however I can easily manage ten kilometers a litre when in 6th gear at 2000 RPM and this is what I cruise at when on long drives. That equates to 30 m.p.g. at around 55 m.p.h. Parts of the journey I go a little faster and parts , alittle slower all in all the average for me is as stated.
I am more than happy for you to ignore and dismiss it all.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
B
For ease of travel although maybe not cost then Brittany Ferry Portsmouth to Bilbao in two days or to Santander in one day giving you a little more time
or drive Calais - Le Mans - Niort - Hendaye but that could be 2-3 days travelling

ITV stations I can't help but others have

Sorry we don't travel with a dog anymore our little one went over the rainbow bridge in 2011
Bilbao 23 hrs unless it doing a crew change,,BUSBY..

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
The information comes from my experience and knowledge from motorhoming and using this route over many years.
Not exactly sure what you mean when you say it is unlikely to have an average milage that high, however I can easily manage ten kilometers a litre when in 6th gear at 2000 RPM and this is what I cruise at when on long drives. That equates to 30 m.p.g. at around 55 m.p.h. Parts of the journey I go a little faster and parts , alittle slower all in all the average for me is as stated.
I am more than happy for you to ignore and dismiss it all.

You seem to be rather muddled as my reply was to Madcaravaner was info on speeding and MPH not MPG

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
You seem to be rather muddled as my reply was to Madcaravaner was info on speeding and MPH not MPG
Understood and not a problem. However, the custom adopted by most if not all members on here when responding to a specific post, is to use the quote option so as to avoid confusion. As you have done in your response above but not in the previous post.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
N
Just don't go too fast as the companies have minimum times it takes to pass toll booths if you go too fast you will probably find the gate doesn't open and the Autoroute Police attend
Never hear that one before if that's the case there would be police there all the time catching French and Spanish drivers!,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back