Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi All you Funsters
Here is a quick and for once a simple question for all who have an auto change over.
On your gaslow bottles, when the first bottle runs out and the changeover valve has operated so you are running on the second bottle, what happens when you fill up?
Do you leave the changeover valve as it is or turn it back to the empty tank, if you turn it back to the empty tank to fill up will it also top up the second bottle without messing about with the changeover valve again?
Or do you have to move the changeover valve to the second bottle to top that one up?
I think that makes sense or perhaps not I'll leave you to decide!
Many Thanks Tony

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
I have a auto changeover valve,but it's all the same both bottles fill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
When I fill up and if on second tank, once filled, I then put tank 1 back on rather than tank 2 ( the near one I class as tank 1)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
It's also best to wear gloves when filling in case of spillage - which can burn

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Leave Auto Valve in the position it was in and it will turn back green again as soon as the primary bottle has gas back in it.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Got the auto changeover but don't use it. Just have one bottle on and then do it manually when necessary. That way I know when the first bottle has run out and can start looking to refill.

Also never had a problem when refilling and don't feel the need for gloves. Filled up gas bottle twice a day when I was working.

Joe

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi All thanks for your input.
I know some of you will probably say “don't do it”, “it's a waste of money”, “they are not that accurate” etc, but I'm thinking of getting the led gauge which tells me when the main bottle is empty and I will then know I'm running on the smaller bottle as the auto change valve will of activated.
Many Thanks Tony

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I know some of you will probably say “don't do it”, “it's a waste of money”, “they are not that accurate” etc, but I'm thinking of getting the led gauge which tells me when the main bottle is empty and I will then know I'm running on the smaller bottle as the auto change valve will of activated.
Many Thanks Tony
i wont say dont do just ask your self do you realy need it

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
i wont say dont do just ask your self do you realy need it
Hi Mitzimad
Your totally right, do I need it NO, but then again I have lots of things I could live without which in reality I don't need as I'm sure you have, did you really need another pair of shoes or another handbag etc.
I'm at that time of life where if I want something and can afford it without breaking the bank then why not, it might not be the way most people would look at it but I've had so many years of going without, so now I'm in the mind of why not.
Best Wishes Tony

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Whilst at work correct elf and stupidity when gassing up we're

Earth clamp to bottle clamp
Clear vision welding mask on
Elbow length leather gloves on
Connect gas hose to bottle
Press fill button
Was really awkward with all that on

Joe

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Tony ... as said above it will fill up both bottles to full. I always make sure both bottles are turned off before filling up.

The best thing ever apart from my solar panels ... :)

Good to meet you at Stratford.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
Why turn the bottles off,in some garages if u open your gaz locker,they won't serve you?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The pipes that the filler uses to put gas into the bottles are completely separate to those that go from the bottles to the regulators so the position of the auto-changeover is totally irrelevant ... I know 'cause I've just been altering my twin bottle system so I now have 2 x 11kg ones instead of a 11kg and 6kg one including changing a 'no 1' into a 'no 2' bottle. (y)

Anyone interested in a 2015 6kg R67 Gaslow bottle full of gas let me know as it's for sale!

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
Yes Minxy,but like I said to turn bottles off I need to open the locker door,that to me is not a option,trust me some will refuse u using the gax pump

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes Minxy,but like I said to turn bottles off I need to open the locker door,that to me is not a option,trust me some will refuse u using the gax pump
Bill, you're getting confused with what Movan said ... I was on about the auto-changeover, nothing to do with turning the bottles themselves off!

We always turn our bottles off before filling though and used to have to open the gas locker to fill as the fill point was on a bracket inside, however earlier this year I moved the filler to the outside so now only need to open the locker to turn the bottles off which can obviously be done before going to the filling station. (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Why turn the bottles off,in some garages if u open your gaz locker,they won't serve you?
You are supposed to turn them off to prevent any liquid gas getting into the regulator and stuffing it up, a slim chance but certainly something that Gaslow advise doing to be safe, by turning the bottles off it just makes it one less thing to worry about - we've never had a problem with any regulators and have been using refillable bottles since 2009 but I've now got a spare regulator just in case (probably never need it though!) - we wild camp/use aires all the time so if our reg stuffs up it would be a major inconvenience, hence the spare.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Good to meet you at Stratford.
Thanks Joe it was great to meet you as well, thanks for making me feel welcome in the hall that night.
Hope to see you soon.
Best Wishes Tony

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
You are supposed to turn them off to prevent any liquid gas getting into the regulator and stuffing it up, a slim chance but certainly something that Gaslow advise doing to be safe, by turning the bottles off it just makes it one less thing to worry about - we've never had a problem with any regulators and have been using refillable bottles since 2009 but I've now got a spare regulator just in case (probably never need it though!) - we wild camp/use aires all the time so if our reg stuffs up it would be a major inconvenience, hence the spare.
I've had two regulators replaced in less than one year. I have now fitted a filter.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've had two regulators replaced in less than one year. I have now fitted a filter.
What set-up have you got?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last van I fitted a couple of Gas-it filters took them off after a year kept getting leaks at the connections. Opened them to have a look at the filters bone dry and completely clean don't reckon they did anything, I don't reckon any gas passed through them.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Many Thanks Tony
If you have the Truma changeover valve, you can fit the Truma Duo C remote. Doesn't tell you levels just when the bottles have changed over, all you really need to know.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The auto-changeover regulator will not need touching with refillable bottles. Both bottles will fill up, so there’s no point in changing which cylinder is ‘master’. (The ‘master’ selection is to enable you to empty a non-refillable ‘slave’ before exchanging for a full one.) An auto-changeover regulator allows you to enjoy the capacity of two bottles at a time without attention and can be useful to let you know when the ‘master’ has emptied and it’s time to start seeking a refill. Remember to have both bottle valves open (turned ‘on’), though.

Without an auto-changeover you’d need to swap the bottle selection over manually when a bottle becomes empty. You can be pretty sure that it will be after dark and when it’s raining.

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Don't forget to turn your bottles off when filling up
I have recently filled mine up for the first time and didn't realise they had to be turned off, I'm guessing it's a safety thing

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
Nit sure but I have never turned mine off,except if taking the tunnel,my fridge is on constant gas,very rarely I have it on 240

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I have recently filled mine up for the first time and didn't realise they had to be turned off, I'm guessing it's a safety thing
The don't have to be turned off just advisable. The max allowable inlet pressure on a Truma regulator is way above pump pressure. I wouldn't risk it those regulators aren't cheap I think the one on my van is around 130 quid.

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
The don't have to be turned off just advisable. The max allowable inlet pressure on a Truma regulator is way above pump pressure. I wouldn't risk it those regulators aren't cheap I think the one on my van is around 130 quid.
I will be turning the bottles off from now on, thanks Lenny

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back