Arran

Free Member
Dec 23, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Mobile Library
Hello,

Just a quick introduction, seeing as I'm new to this forum, but not to the motorhome scene.

Back in 2013 my girlfriend and I bought an Iveco Daily ambulance, which we converted to a basic campervan. I built the interior from plywood, making a sofa/dining area, which converted to a bed, a cold running tap, microwave, fridge, hob and a solar panel and inverter to power it all.

It served us well, taking us abroad a couple of times, but mostly around the UK. We even did Glastonbury back in 2016, where the solar panel meant free electric all week without having to run the engine!

By this time we had gotten married, adopted a little spaniel and was awaiting the arrival of our daughter. We contemplated refitting out the camper, but in the end we thought an upgrade was required.

After many months of deliberating, looking at vehicles and visiting the NEC Motorhome Show, we finally found the perfect vehicle. A 2009 Mercedes-Benz Atego 818, a mobile library from the Isle of Arran. The chassis and engine were in good shape, the body and interior less so.

Anyway, after 2 years of working on it, between working full time in the RAF as an Aircraft Engineer, we went away on our first camping trip! It was amazing, despite the second hand inverter/charger packing in.

Back in August I left RAF Brize Norton for the last time, we packed up the contents of our house, put it in storage, moved in to our motorhome and set off around Europe. Our plan was to head north through Finland to Nordkapp, then head south through Norway to get to Italy as winter set in.

Clearly we couldn't do that in the end and spent most our time in Scandinavia, it was a real challenge keeping on top of developments, we got deported from Finland one time. However, we had an amazing time, especially our daughter who met Santa Claus at his office in Rovaniemi on her 4th Birthday.

Anyway that's us, we're back in the UK now, soon to be moving back to Oxfordshire in our motorhome. We'll be living in the motorhome initially before we find more permanent accommodation.

Feel free to check out the blog my wife put together as we travelled - it's mostly photos, so not too much reading!

https://napierfamily.travellerspoint.com/

Mik

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Arran

Welcome to Fun, didn't read all the blog but great photos(y) :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Great story, I'll read the blog when I need to fill time over Christmas 👍🏻
Are you holed up on a campsite ?
Stay safe

w2f

OP
OP
Arran

Arran

Free Member
Dec 23, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Mobile Library
Are you holed up on a campsite ?
We're spending the festivities with family in Norfolk, which has been a real blessing with the current situation!

Should be moving to a campsite in a couple of weeks to coincide with starting a new job 🤞

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone - we've had great feedback from family with the blog while we were away. Mostly saying how nice it was to get away from what's going on in the news!

Mik

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome, had a quick look at your blog, your daughter looks like she's having the time of her life and these memories will live with her for ever. Well done.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Fantastic introduction to Motorhome Fun. I enjoyed your blog enormously. Please subscribe. You will be an inspirational member.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Great blog. Thanks for posting. Some great Aero and Auto heritage with that surname!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
:welcome4:

Join us or log in to post a reply.