Questions about motor homes with regard to payload. (1 Viewer)

Spooky558

Free Member
Jun 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Researching into buying
Exp
Hi. (Thought this had posted last night but it hadn't?) Just joined up. I'm basically looking into the practicalities of buying a motor home.

I've spent quite a bit of time reading up these last couple of days, but I can't find a definitive answer. I'd need a 6 berth motor home, but I'm worried that something that is 3,500 kg wouldn't allow me to carry my family and some stuff with us without going over the weight limit. Even something that is 3,850 kg wouldn't be enough, I don't think?

I've tried searching for details of motor home weights, but can't find a list.

I tried looking online for motor homes that would fit in with my budget, which I'm thinking will be £10,000 and then tried searching for the weight of the specific motor home, but am having no luck.

I have a hgv driving licence, so going over 3.5 tonnes is no problem.

Can anyone give me an idea where I can find which motor homes are suitable for what I need please?

I've also read about being able to upgrade the vehicle weight, "by means of a paper exercise", but don't know which vehicles this would relate to, and how much extra capacity you could get out of it.

Sorry for all the questions in one go, but I need to get them out of my head before I go to bed. Thanks in advance. :)

Peter

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
6 berth and carry 6 people you're probably looking at 4.5 to 5 tons.
Just a case of searching.
The 'paper exersize' is a bit restrictive really, mostly it will be 3500kg to maybe 3800kg.....above that you're going to need bigger tyres/wheels with a higher load rating and uprated suspension.
Many are built on a heavier chassis then factory downplated to 3500kg to allow for standard car licence drivers
I reckon with a budget of £10k you're going to struggle to find anything suitable.
There isn't a list of motorhome weights, there are so many models with different weights within the model range it would be an impossible task to compile one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
As Pappajohn said.
Have you considered a caravan? May be more practical for the space you need,and the weight consideration, especially if you already have an appropriate tow car.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Trailer and a big tent. Well within budget. You will not find a MH that can carry six people under 3500 kg. Some of the 6 berth MHs only have 4 belted seats.

Upvote 0

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
To start with that sort of load you are looking at A class but even then you are going to struggle to find one with six belted seats and it will not be within your £10K budget.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Spooky558

Free Member
Jun 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Researching into buying
Exp
Thank you for all the replies. It's not exactly what I wanted to hear, but that's the point of asking, isn't it? :)

A tent and trailer is out of the question, my wife is disabled, she wouldn't be able to cope like that.

I'd thought about the possibility of a caravan myself when I read about the payload issue with a motorhome. My dad has always been against the idea of caravans, think it's a truck driver thing... You see so many of them wobbling all down the road.

I also don't have a car that could tow a caravan, the wife has a wheelchair accessible vehicle, and that has a ramp that folds down from the back end, so you couldn't fit a tow bar, but, with a budget of £10k, I imagine I could get a suitable car and caravan for that amount of money?

Another option of course, is to buy a 6 berth motor home, and just take the car with us with the family in it whilst the motor home is driven along behind.

Guess I'll be talking to the wife and see what she thinks is for the best. I have seen a few truck motor homes for sale, within my budget, but not sure how practical they would be.

Thanks again for the replies, they were much appreciated.

Peter

Upvote 0

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
You also have the option of renting
We discussed this option but intend to use ours far more than would be financially viable to hire but makes sense for the occasional user

Upvote 0

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Hi Peter,
There are 6 berth motorhomes with 6 belted seats, we have recently changed one (it sold within a week from the dealers forecourt), so have experience and here is what we noted with the two we have had.
The six belted seats are almost all driver and front seat passenger, and four belted seats in a dinette area, two forward and two rear facing.
First problem there is the framework for the seat belts in the dinette restricts some storage space, manageable, but check it carefully.
Secondly, sleeping berths. Most will have three areas each for two people. A rear dinette or U shaped lounge that will sleep two adults, but needs the bed making up each night. Most likely two in an overcab area. I have slept up there, they are adult size, but ideally it’s for two older youngsters. Some of them do have a weight restriction, so check this out. Then there are usually two sleeping in the front dinette area, but ours did not take large teenagers, I would say two up to about ten years, depending on their height.
We had five of us, when the grandchildren were smaller we could manage, just, at 4250Kg, when they were bigger we struggled to keep to 4500Kg.
You can get twin rear axle six berths/six belted seats that give you 5000Kg, and these may give you more options/flexibility.
Good luck with your quest.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
If you can take the kids in the car then you don't have a problem. You just have to decide which of the kids sleep in the tent outside. You do see it on C&MC Sites. Some of these new blow up tents are brilliant or you could just add an awning to the side of the MH to give you extra space.

Upvote 0

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
how much of a disability does your wife have?
you say you have a wheelchair access vehicle....can she actually get in and out of a motorhome, the toilet and more importantly in and out of motorhome beds?
a vans ability to accomodate your wifes disability is higher on the list than payload etc

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back