Richard cooper

Free Member
Mar 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chussion allegro96
Exp
4weeks
Hi I’ve just got are ist motorhome after years of caravan we have a chussion allegro 96very nice the question I have is when your driving there’s seems to be a bit of vibration coming from the steering wheel it’s just had an mot but even in 5th gear trading at 45/50mile an hour is this the norm with front wheel drive

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
As above or loose wheel bolts, tyres flat spotted with standing, lots of causes but difficult to pinpoint without more info.
Did you buy it from a dealer?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Richard cooper

Free Member
Mar 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chussion allegro96
Exp
4weeks
As above or loose wheel bolts, tyres flat spotted with standing, lots of causes but difficult to pinpoint without more info.
Did you buy it from a dealer?
Yes it comes with a one year warranty

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Back to the dealers then! Definitely not normal. All possible causes as above - if dealers are a long way away then I'd start with getting the front wheels checked for balance at any tyre depot.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I'd agree with @Feltwell take it back to the dealer as you would any car with a problem

it could be as simple as wheel balancing - but could be as dangerous as loose wheel bolts or worn parts on the steering systems

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
..........there’s seems to be a bit of vibration coming from the steering wheel .......
Have you previously driven anything larger than a car?
There will be a bit of vibration but whether or not it's normal is impossible to say without knowing your idea of 'a bit'.

OP
OP
R

Richard cooper

Free Member
Mar 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chussion allegro96
Exp
4weeks
Have you previously driven anything larger than a car?
There will be a bit of vibration but whether or not it's normal is impossible to say without knowing your idea of 'a bit'.
Yes I drive a large pickup

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I think I would check the wheel nuts/bolts myself before driving it to the dealers. also if the dealers are a long drive away, ASK them if you can take it to a franchise or local garage of their choice (or AA/RAC check etc) - it might save you both time and money

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
as has been said check wheel nuts and some have had issues with rough / rumbly wheel bearings.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Front wheel drive or rear wheel doesn't make any difference as far as vibration goes.
Something definitely isn't quite right, chew the dealers backside til they fix it.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
In answer to your question, it is not normal or acceptable. It may also increase wear on bearings a steering units.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
My RWD MH started vibrating at the front end a few years ago, just at the start of a holiday.

A young RAC guy came out to a site and test drove it: he said "it seems like the front brakes but they work OK: should be alright for a few thousand miles"

Then he added "just realised I'm not authorised to drive such a heavy vehicle". (It's only 3.5T!!!)

We continued on with the hols, without any "problems" and took it to my trusted garage when we got back home. He diagnosed uneven brake wear and warped discs (£150? from memory) and advised driving faster plus braking harder in future. :sneaky:

I'm not sure where I would have stood if I'd been involved in an accident: "driving a vehicle known to be defective" or "safe to drive despite vibrations"?

Good luck - Gordon

[Check the obvious things first!]

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back