Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Your pictures of Greece were fab by the way.... I was there in September and you followed our route almost to the letter! brought back some great memories - Did you miss Mystras and Castle View camping? maybe nextime::bigsmile:

Thanks yes we missed the Mystras (more reason to go back, we also missed out Athens) It was so hot, nearly 40C in Athens, mystras not far behind. Like you say more reason to go back.:winky:

I like the Burgman, but for what it is, it is far too heavy. Cant comment on that trailer your looking at.

We love our big bike, but whilst we were in Greece a Dutch couple let us have a go on there Honda 150cc Dylan and we were impressed, it did get us up a few big hills. Unfortunately they dont do 150cc in Britain.

Regards Pat and Neil

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The Honda Sh125 and 150 are the same bike and engine with the engine sleeved to 125 to match up with UK licence bands. The difference in performance is next to nothing. We tried a 150 in Spain and it was no different to our 125.

When considering a bike on the back it is not only the weight of the bike but also the weight of any rack and ramp - The heavier the bike the more robust (heavier) the rack. Many "off the shelf" racks are rated at 125kg max. Also some 'vans with merely chassis extensions to hold up the rear of the caravan floor are not suitable to take the weight of a bike. In these 'vans you would need to build off the original chassis meaning even more weight of steel.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i like the idea of front m,bike racks .work well in other countries good for frt wheel drive campers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Motorhome Scooters

I have had a 100cc Speedfight scooter on the back of the van for about 10 years now and find the power to carry 2 of us ( Total 24stone ) is more than adequate to attain 50MPH on the flat and good results up hills. We are now on our 4th Speedfight without any breakdowns atall.
We have a CB with front overhead bed, which has been removed, to allow storage in that area to reduce the storage load over the rear axle. This has improved the load balance on the front and rear axle. Those Funsters with low profile and A class will have problems finding storage over the front axle so load balance will be difficult with a scooter on the rear of the van.
Obviously a weigh bridge is essential once the van has been loaded with gear and scooter. France & Spain police are quick on the draw with overloaded motorhomes.
Regard Ron W

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Thanks Ron

I do think if you find something good and that youre pleased with it you should stick with it.
We are a little heavier than your :ROFLMAO:

I think when I sit up front in the passenger seat the weight helps though.

We are an A class but then to use the pull down bed above the cab to store some things, like our motorcycle gear, spare bedding etc, obviously not as much as a CB.

We have two water tanks in the middle of the van, I know that not forward enough, but can help. Although one tank is 100 litres so that is heavy enough, and if we are near our over all weight may have to not use it when travelling.

Decisions, Decisions, the good thing is that we are not in a rush, we have plenty of time to next May really.

Regards Pat

Last edited:

bmwtouring

Free Member
Apr 17, 2008
Uxbridge
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
First Motorhome
We have had a Honda Lead 110cc (NHX110WH) for 6 months now and it is proving to be a very capable runaround.

Compartment for 2 crash helmets to fit under seat.
Top box fitted so loads of room for loading at local supermarket.
50 mph top speed (2up)

Kev

Link Removed Link Removed

Last edited:

Sunty

Free Member
Dec 10, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Swift Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2002
Scooting

We have a 125 Piaggio Liberty - had it now for 3 years with no problems. Bigger wheels than normal with low weight and a narrower body makes for ease of use when fixing to rack or garage. Especially useful if you travel abroad because all French postmen have same model as do all Spannish posties - plenty of spares and garages around europe familiar with this bike. Top box holds two helmets and good screen available (bought mine in Spain). Best move we have made since buying the motorhome! Cheers, Arthur.

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Scooter on Vans

Patsy4,
The art of carrying a scooter is to carry nothing else to avoid overload on van axles. That would certainly mean little water in tanks, barbecues, extra batteries heavy chairs and the like. Over the years we have reduced the amount we carry to such an extent that we have many empty cupboards and still not found we have missed anything on our 3 month trip.
When starting with a scooter rack many years ago we had one fitted that was well known and used by many, --- total disaster--- we had to abandon our scooter at home because the total weight on the rear axle was too great, according to the weighbridge ticket. On return after our trip I found the motorbike rack was almost the weight of the scooter and was returned to manufacturer. I then designed and had a new one built about 35% weight of the manufactured one.
With juggling of the internal loads, removal of front O/H bed, not much water in tanks, no second leisure battery and leaving behind gear we really didn't need, only then did we meet the correct loads on the axles.
Putting a scooter on the back is a difficult operation than you may think to stay legal, so be careful.
Regards Ron W

Regards

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
With juggling of the internal loads, removal of front O/H bed, not much water in tanks, no second leisure battery and leaving behind gear we really didn't need

Blimey, you *really* need that scooter, don't you.

We make do with 2 electric bikes. Better in some ways, worse in others but definitely FUN.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Thanks Ron for your kind reply.

The vehicle gross weight is 4200kg last weighbridge weight 3780 kg

Plus 200kg for scooter and rack

making our gross weight, about 4000kg give or take a little.

the front axle is rated to 1800kg and is currently 1660kg

the rear axle is rated to 3100kg and is currently 2100kg

by adding 200kg on the rear of the axle this would actually put an additional 338kg on the rear axle, but makes the front axle about 50 kg lighter.

So front this we are still within all of our specified rates. We are not loading the axles to anywhere near their limits.

So by our understanding we may be okay, providing the rack is not too heavy.

so the Shi 300 Honda, weights about 161kg
or the ps125i Honda more sensible 125kg.

Will weigh everything thoroughly before making the rack for the vehicle , and purchasing the bike.

We do need to stay legal and safe.

Regards Pat

gogocrosby

Free Member
Apr 2, 2009
Morpeth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
12 years
Our tow bar is plated to carry 100kg, which limits our choice of bike and carrier. We have a Honda SH50, it does 30mph on the flat with two mature bodies on board, comfortabley, on long inclines 20'ish. Although I have a full cycle licence my wife hasn't.To ride anything bigger she would have to take her CBT, which is a bit of a clart. Above all it is a Honda.

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Our tow bar is plated to carry 100kg, which limits our choice of bike and carrier. We have a Honda SH50, it does 30mph on the flat with two mature bodies on board, comfortabley, on long inclines 20'ish. Although I have a full cycle licence my wife hasn't.To ride anything bigger she would have to take her CBT, which is a bit of a clart. Above all it is a Honda.

That is a good point re- cbt. My wife would also like to be able to "have a go" another reason to get a 50cc.

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Thanks will have a look.............

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
We went out test driving scooters again this weekend.

Firstly the Vespa 300 GTS looks the part, but only okay test drive, not enough leg room.

We then test drove the SH300i Honda, and wow what fun, it was so nippy, we sat lovely and upright and still had a couple of inches between us. Its not a good looking as the Vespa but it ticked every box, maybe not the weight one though. 172kg kerb weight.

Our tow bar is loaded to take 150kg, so we need to look into strengthening that aspect. We were going to have a couple more supports coming from the chassis to the rack to help.

We were thinking of going for an non hydraulic easy lifter bike rack, just trying to contact them now to find all the specifications.

Regards Pat

Although not a proper test we both stood on the back of the tow bar area of the motorhome to see if the combined weight of us effected the positioning of the motorhome, the back wheel arch only came down less than 1cm.

I think we will build the rack first, then load the motorhome and the rack on with some heavy stuff and the garage are of the motorhome to the weight of the motorbike as see what the motorhome feels like when driving, if it is affected then we will go for a smaller scooter.

Pat

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back