Question For Co-pilot Experts (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Following the advice of co-pilot fans on here I have just downloaded the aforementioned to replace my much loved Tom Tom (I needed Czech republic maps which are not on TT app).

Planned my first route from TS148BX to DL78LP selected road speeds and asked for quickest route and it gives me 28 miles and 29 minutes and goes the way I would not choose indeed I dont know anybody who would go that way, if I select an alternate route it is 23.4 miles and takes 25 minutes, so question WHY does co-pilot think 29 minutes is quicker than 23.4 minutes.

Or am I doing something wrong.

Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Martin, is this CoPilot Truck or bog standard? I have had Truck for 2 years and can explain options, but if you have the car version I cannot help as I have no experience.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
It is always possible that a new route has been built/opened and the co-pilot has not picked it up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Michael

Bog standard as when I did the trial version it did the same thing so I thought this is stupid I am not buying the full truck version as it might be just as stupid and no trial versions for download.

I only really want it for Czech Republic.

Do you find the truck one good.

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It is always possible that a new route has been built/opened and the co-pilot has not picked it up.

Hi Alan

No nothing new, but why does it show the 29 minute route when I asked for quickest surely 23.4 minutes is quicker.

Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Martin, I bought the Truck versions of both CoPilot and Sygic 3 plus years or more ago after I had bought the RV. I found CoPilot more adjustable than Sygic, and also POI input was simpler. For example Sygic only accepts country by country and in rupi format. CoPilot accepts csv and ov2 complete world if you want. I have had some odd experiences with ov2 so would now always use csv.
In terms of operation when I first had the RV I bought the Garmin truck thing, 760 something, but when I planned a route to a camp site on the edge of Dartmoor it routed me down a B road/track to save 50 metres distance compared to an A road. After much tooing and froing with Garmin I dumped it and bought a snooper. That was and still is in principle a great tool, with the exception of one major issue. If you go off route for some reason, traffic diversion for example, it starts to route in car mode not your entered truck profile. This created hell as it had an incorrect weight restriction problem on the motorway outside Genoa and routed us into Genoa city. Then as I found myself turning right into a road with a 2 metre width restriction, all hell broke loose. 20 tons and 17 metres with a car trailer on the back to reverse out. Then it got worse! Anyway I had just started playing with CoPilot at that point on Sally's tab, with the same route programmed and it was clearly going berserk in her lap with alarms but I was following snooper and ignored them. So we switched off snooper and I listened to CoPilot and got out of the city. It took me 6 months to get the truth out of snooper.
So CoPilot became my bible..... but based on Garmin and Snooper blind trust was no longer anywhere close to my thinking. So I loaded Sygic truck as well and double checked any complicated routes. So far they have both been marching in tune and I have not had any issues.
CoPilot truck has a great vehicle profile setup. In Custom Roads Speeds you have 5 road types from Motorways to local streets and you can define average speeds for each type, but more importantly can define Strongly Favour down to Strongly avoid for each. This feature enables you to force the routing and I have found you can make huge differences to the route profile. It takes a bit of tuning, and I worked on local routes I knew to adjust it, but great once you get it sorted.
I find the general driving instructions clear and unambiguous.
I have a whole set of POI's which I have added to over time in Google maps, periodically I download the KML, convert to CSV and upload straight from my PC. With these apps you can use any tablet you like and are not restricted to hardware, so a faster tablet comes out you just transfer the licence.

Anyway hope this is of interest.

Michael

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Martin just read your post and planned the rout with the same results but different times, probably due to my speed profile. I will play a bit and get back to you.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Martin just read your post and planned the rout with the same results but different times, probably due to my speed profile. I will play a bit and get back to you.

Hi Michael

As you suggest in your previous post it is good to play on routes you know the best way and then try to set/educate the sat nav to your way of thinking. On the post codes I gave before the best route for sure is to get onto the A172 and I can make it do that by selecting the shortest route but previous experience with TT has made me reluctant to use this option as TT can take this too literally and take you down some very unsuitable roads, possibly co-pilot will be better in this respect.

I will keep experimenting, thanks for your replies.

Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Just set it on Sygic, and showed the 23 mile option. Do you have custom road speeds? main menu, bottom ribbon, 2nd icon from left, vehicle prefs, MH at top, custom road speeds. Here if you avoid motorways and dual carriageways I can get it to do what is right, but having it avoid these is plain stupid!
I will pose the issue on the CoPilot forum.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Of course you can force the alternate as the chosen route even if its not the first choice and you know better in any event.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just set it on Sygic, and showed the 23 mile option. Do you have custom road speeds? main menu, bottom ribbon, 2nd icon from left, vehicle prefs, MH at top, custom road speeds. Here if you avoid motorways and dual carriageways I can get it to do what is right, but having it avoid these is plain stupid!
I will pose the issue on the CoPilot forum.

Yes I have all the custom road speeds and even if I set all the smaller roads to the same speed as M'way it still does the same sillyness, I just dont understand why the fastest route can take longer than an alternative and still be displayed as fastest, with TT I just put in the route and say fastest and I dont need to mess about or even bother checking it most of the time, as I say shortest could be very silly on TT.

EDIT Just checked the same route in TT and the shortest it can do is 22.8 miles BUT you would not do it.

Martin

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Just tead the longest postings I have ever seen on Fun. Fantastic.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just tead the longest postings I have ever seen on Fun. Fantastic.

Couldn't you just imagine a 20 ton 17 metre outfit going down roads that are getting narrower and narrower, I can imagine the atmosphere was a tad tense in the cab.

Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have been focused on the distance and did not see that my CoPilot shows 28 miles and 39 mins, same as Google or 23.4 miles and 48 mins different to Google I have 70 mph on motorways and 60 on Dual carriageway for this calculation.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Couldn't you just imagine a 20 ton 17 metre outfit going down roads that are getting narrower and narrower, I can imagine the atmosphere was a tad tense in the cab.

Martin
Yes, as I have not told the whole story, the Genoa side trip had Sally driving and off the motorway then Snooper took her into a 4 metre tunnel, we were 3.91, the tunnel was arched and poorly marked. Our awning was bent a bit!!! Then I took over, and more grief some mentioned above. Not an experience that I want to remember, nor does Sally, it was a good job we loved each other!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back