Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
4 yrs in total but not consecutively. Just bought the 3rd.
Ok - I haven't had enough feed back on my question last night to alleviate my fears on travelling the coast of France & Spain so I've just ordered 5 maps (instead of a sat nav) 3 national of Netherlands, France, Spain & Portugal & 2 spiral bound of France (A3) & Spain & Port(A4) - all Mitchelin.

Will they show me clearly whether the roads are suitable for a motorhome - avoiding bridges, narrow roads etc or will I still need a sat nav?

Have 10 weeks before I leave to prepare a route - had intended to wing it but I think some forward planning might be best.

Thanks in advance to any replies.

Dot

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sat nav more likely to get you into narrow roads and low bridges than avoid them:doh:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I always use sat nav and longitude latitude coordinates.
As can't read maps and drive lol
Just keep your eye out for the warning signs and slow down and check road before turning into.
If really not happy turn van round and reroute.
But do not worry or get flustered.
Take your time and don't be bullied by the other traffic on the road. We've all made mistakes but it makes the story telling more interesting. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Referring back to my thread 'lovin our first time in france' (we were there for a month in June) I posted a summary at the end, and one of things I mentioned was that the best thing i took with me was - my satnav! Not cheap (around £400) but I have the Snooper s7000 ventura - into which you can put your dimensions and weight, and it never took me wrong!
Also - negates the need to really think about it - and as Sue has said - you can't read a map whilst driving along!
That said - if you don't have one - I'm sure you'll be fine. We stayed off the toll routes, (another satnav option on the menu!) and the French roads really are great. If you plan your route, either bypass small towns, or make sure the road goes straight through, that way you won't have the worry of negotiating a maze! The paper maps may not be the best for this - as they probably wont be a small enough scale.
I'd reccomend the satnav investment, after all - you'll have it for life and in every motorhome you ever have!

OP
OP
D

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
4 yrs in total but not consecutively. Just bought the 3rd.
"Also - negates the need to really think about it"

- thanks for your reply Brewery Dave but isn't that exactly what the Government wants us to do - 'to stop thinking'. Maybe we all need to get thinking a little bit more & stop letting them dumb us down. But I do appreciate what you're saying & I'll have a good look at the maps when they come & obviously learn all the road signs and maybe I will still need a sat nav for extra reassurance.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best map i have found for spain and portugal is the cepsa mapamax . it shows lots of smaller roads and nanes of coves /beaches others dont name .
i drive ever year around spain /portugal . used to do france but now dont . never use a sat nav dont need it . i drive an articulated truck as my camper and just watch for the low bridge / narrow road signs .
can be fun .
but really you dont need sat nav .
its my belief the worst drivers need them usually because they cant read maps and cant drive the vehicles they have bought properly.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
its my belief the worst drivers need them usually because they cant read maps and cant drive the vehicles they have bought properly.

What happens if they bought the motorhome improperly

How does this affect things?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The day they bring out a series of maps for the whole of Europe including street level maps with road names for every town and city and village in Europe, all of which will fit in my pocket and tell me by voice which way to go, will be the day I consider giving up my TomTom and/or Note 2.

Anyone who thinks maps are BETTER than sat navs for driving directions is simply MISTAKEN.

Of course you should have fold out maps for overall journey planning but to get from A to B... the sat nav rools.

It gives you far, far, far more information than just which way to turn...

JJ :cool:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
"Also - negates the need to really think about it"

- thanks for your reply Brewery Dave but isn't that exactly what the Government wants us to do - 'to stop thinking'. Maybe we all need to get thinking a little bit more & stop letting them dumb us down. But I do appreciate what you're saying & I'll have a good look at the maps when they come & obviously learn all the road signs and maybe I will still need a sat nav for extra reassurance.

The day the government or anyone else for that matter tells me what to think will be interesting, but from many years of travelling both with maps and the sat Nav, to me it's a no brainier we plan the route on the map then programme the chosen route into the sat Nav, makes a much more relaxed way to travel after all it's supposed to be a holiday not a challenge or endurance test.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
The day the government or anyone else for that matter tells me what to think will be interesting, but from many years of travelling both with maps and the sat Nav, to me it's a no brainier we plan the route on the map then programme the chosen route into the sat Nav, makes a much more relaxed way to travel after all it's supposed to be a holiday not a challenge or endurance test.

dotplus6: That is it in a nutshell!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Relying on OH to navigate is a sure recipe for marital stress. The sat nav avoids this and I wouldn't be without them (I have 3 in the MH).
Before they were invented I just used to plan my route by town names and have them written down on a strip of paper on the dashboard, used to work OK.
The important thing with the sat nav is that is only a guide, you still need to read the road and the signs, where the sat nav scores is when you don't go the way it suggests, as it will rapidly reroute. (this is not always the case with the TomTom which tries to get back on the original route long past the point at which it is sensible). Hence the advantage of more than one, they all have strengths and weaknesses, eg TomTom is best for POIs but Snooper best for avoiding narrow roads. The Chinese IGO is very good for ensuring that you never have to turn round, good if you have a toad, though can take you miles out of your way to allow this.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We use the map first to check the route then program the old tom tom for the next aires toll free back to map to make sure it's not taking the wee wee :whistle:
Off we jolly well go
When used sensibly satnavs are a good tool but not a replacement for common sense :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We use the map first to check the route then program the old tom tom for the next aires toll free back to map to make sure it's not taking the wee wee :whistle:
Off we jolly well go
When used sensibly satnavs are a good tool but not a replacement for common sense :)
Exactly. We use both and we can also both navigate.... usually agree the route in advance and if anything looks like it might be a problem (low bridges etc) check it out on Google maps in advance.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Agree with others a combination of both satnav and detail maps,but --------it's when we've got lost or taken wrong turn that's when the real adventure starts.Have fun and keep your since of humour.:party2:

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
as eddy told me "there is no wrong rd just a different rd"

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
rule of thumb is if you feel you cant reverse down a road or what ever then dont drive down there forwards .
be it a road a turning etc .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back