Question about lightweight vacuum cleaners (1 Viewer)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I want one - not exclusively for the Moho by any means whatever but obviously could use it in there too even if we didn't carry it in there whilst using the Moho. Hence, recommendations, please. Fitted carpets, rugs and ceramic tiled floors in the house, laminate and rugs in the moho plus fitted carpet in the cab area (and of course the car) No flights of stairs as we live in a bungalow but would be useful if it could also cope with cleaning higher surfaces(eg the tops of curtains or cupboards and the joins twixt ceilings and walls) to remove Harry the spider's handiwork when necessary.

TIA

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
I’ve got gtech cordless air ram upright, had it a few years now and it’s great, good for carpet/laminate and I’ve also got the gtech multi too. which is great for stairs, the van/car, high cobwebs, dusting etc. I think you can buy them as a system too. It’s lightweight and easy to use. Almost fun :LOL:

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Might be an idea NOT to buy a Dyson,
They are overpriced compared to equally good alternatives, also they are in the process of closing the entire European and UK service departments so if it goes t1ts up you will have to return it to factory by post so adding to your wait.
G TEC looks a good buy at the present.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Might be an idea NOT to buy a Dyson

Dysons are my pet hate.
How can they justify £400 for a cheap plastic vacuum cleaner and £300 for an hairdryer for pity's sake.
£400 would buy you an automatic washing machine AND an automatic dishwasher.
Ridiculous and people buy them!!! :Eeek: :Eeek: - it's all just marketing - just like perfumes.

Rant over :swear2::swear2::swear2:

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We have a gtec hand held, had it a few years now and it has been very good, it has an extension to do the floor on the van and works well

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I’ve got gtech cordless air ram upright, had it a few years now and it’s great, good for carpet/laminate and I’ve also got the gtech multi too. which is great for stairs, the van/car, high cobwebs, dusting etc. I think you can buy them as a system too. It’s lightweight and easy to use. Almost fun :LOL:
Snap the k9 animal
we have tiled kitchen floor
Lino in the bathroom
heavy carpet in the rest

daughter has the same pair of machines
and has laminate All and carpet in bedroom

they move from one to the other not needing
any adjustments easy to operate and dispose of sweepings
:sun: :sun: (y)

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We have a dyson vac and it’s about twice as powerful as the gtech. My mum has a gtech and was saying how good it is. So we had a suck off. Ping pong ball placed in the middle both vacuums turned on. No contest, none. Dyson won hands down every time. I didn’t even use the turbo button. So yeah Dyson are expensive but like everything in life. You get what you pay for.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
I want one - not exclusively for the Moho by any means whatever but obviously could use it in there too even if we didn't carry it in there whilst using the Moho. Hence, recommendations, please. Fitted carpets, rugs and ceramic tiled floors in the house, laminate and rugs in the moho plus fitted carpet in the cab area (and of course the car) No flights of stairs as we live in a bungalow but would be useful if it could also cope with cleaning higher surfaces(eg the tops of curtains or cupboards and the joins twixt ceilings and walls) to remove Harry the spider's handiwork when necessary.

TIA
Shark Cordless anti hair wrap (folds in half). Don't buy a cheapo vacuum (as I did) as you will pretty soon need another.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Shark Cordless anti hair wrap (folds in half). Don't buy a cheapo vacuum (as I did) as you will pretty soon need another.
Another vote for the Shark here.

We used to have the G-tech. It was ok on carpet, but not so great on hard floor, where it had a habit of pushing stuff around rather than sucking it up. The Shark doesn't have this problem. Everything sucked up first time, every time.

The G-tech handheld, however, is very good.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
At home and occasionally in the van, I use a Miele Cat and Dog. Permanently in the van a 12v portable, mainly used for removing sand from doors sliding fly screen but also for general cleaning when away from home.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Back a few year they where pushing the Shark on American T-V. Never had one, but a couple of people who have, say it`s as good as the Dyson for half the money?. Mine is built into the house, 3 ports in the skirting and a 30ft hose gets anywhere and a 1500Watt unit in the Cupboard(y)(y)Empty it about twice a year. BTW, probably of no interest to many but "rich" son bought us a "Robot" Just set it going and it works until it has done all the floor. Funniest thing is watching the dog, she tolerates it until it get near her bedding and then goes (Barking) mad!. got some hilarious video footage!.

IslandApe

Free Member
Jun 13, 2020
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Net yet!
Exp
Next year I hope
GTech handheld and Vax Blade. The latter is half the price of a Dyson and feels more robust, though the wall bracket isn't brilliant. Has a removable battery so when that goes replacement is easy.

Had a couple of Dysons before we gave up with them. Hard to clean and way too delicate. Only downside of the Vax is the noise it makes on boost mode. Luckily you don’t need to use that normally.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Lidl sometimes have a Dyson lookalike for £49 which gets good reviews, trouble is you never know when they`ll be in stock

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
My hand held Dyson didn't hold its charge for long enough for me.
Love the G tech including the hand held but going for the Shark next time purely for the hours spent cutting blonde hairs off the hoover roller. :(

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
My hand held Dyson didn't hold its charge for long enough for me.
Love the G tech including the hand held but going for the Shark next time purely for the hours spent cutting blonde hairs off the hoover roller. :(

You still get the odd hair wrapped around it, but nothing like any of the others I've had over the years. I find that if you push it steadily around instead of rushing it, then the anti hair wrap thing has a better chance of disposing of the hair.

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
I use the gtech k9 handheld In the motorhome. It’s brilliant and it collects everything a German Shepherd sheds . At home I’ve just got a vaX cordless Which does the trick for us. After years of solid service, 13 yrs, I have just retired Henry

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
Dyson v11 works great for us 👍👍

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Dyson - Overweight, overpriced and overrated. £400 for a bloody hoover? You are having a larf!
Dyson is a master at rebranding, re-invention and marketing; nothing more. All the guff on his adverts about "cyclone" technology like the bugger thought it up himself when its been around for years.

£300 for a hair dryer? Are you crazy? £200 for a fan? Blow me! You can get one on line for £20 quid that does exactly the same thing, moves the same amount of air for a given volume which has been proved scientifically by -IIRC- Which Magazine.

If you are spending this kind of money on average quality disposable electrical goods you have way toooo much money!

Dyson is a con artist and its made him rich!

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
Dyson - Overweight, overpriced and overrated. £400 for a bloody hoover? You are having a larf!
Dyson is a master at rebranding, re-invention and marketing; nothing more. All the guff on his adverts about "cyclone" technology like the bugger thought it up himself when its been around for years.

£300 for a hair dryer? Are you crazy? £200 for a fan? Blow me! You can get one on line for £20 quid that does exactly the same thing, moves the same amount of air for a given volume which has been proved scientifically by -IIRC- Which Magazine.

If you are spending this kind of money on average quality disposable electrical goods you have way toooo much money!

Dyson is a con artist and its made him rich!
Not a fan then😊😊No pun intended.
DJT

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
We started with an absolutely useless Waeco cordless, it sucked because it didn't suck. 😁
Next we tried a cheap Beldray cordless, it worked ok but was flimsy and bits kept breaking on the lid part until we had to tape it shut.
I decided enough was enough and bought a Dyson V7. It was £300.00 which is indeed expensive, but when you open the box and see the array of attachments including motorised rotors heads, it starts to make sense on the pricing.
In use, I can't fault it, it's powerful and efficient. Sure, there are probably cheaper alternatives but you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Harumph don't tell me about &%*(( ing long blonde hairs - no 2 daughter and both daughters' daughters - and they ALL moult 12 months of the year. So seven of them.

No 2 daughter many years ago was given a Dyson Roller Ball by her ex boyfriend but she couldn't get it to work so brought it to dad. 2 minutes releasing all the swear word dog hair clogging the roller and instantly solved by me and his Stanley knife. Wish I'd kept it and given her mine now!

Amazing how things last if you treat them well ......

As lightweight as possible paired with good suction is my main spec, so I'll investigate the Shark first I think.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
I'll investigate the Shark first I think.
My son & DIL have recently bought a Shark vacuum that comes apart to make a hand held and they rate it, they have a very hairy, moulty (is that a word?) cat and it picks up well after him.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back