Question about charging leisure battery (1 Viewer)

gazza280

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Guys

A little confused could you help please.

Am I being naive by asking this question?
I was under the impression that when driving the leisure battery is being charged once the starter battery is full.
Am I wrong? Do I need to hook up every few days to charge the battery?
If so do I need to install an intelligent charger so that the alternator will charge the leisure battery and keep the charging of both batteries topped up.

What are any implications to adding another battery or batteries.
I have an Autocruise Starblazer XL with a 110amh battery I was going to replace this and buy 2 new 110amh batteries for a good battery bank so if I'm wildcamping I would have the freedom to stay away for 4/5 days without hookup.

Yes I know one good battery will last a while!!

Thanks in advance.

Gary

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
depends if its connected to the charging system ,is the charging system working .
thats a big question to ask us.

Apocalypse

Free Member
Jun 11, 2013
Halesowen, West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato hi-line
Exp
Hi Guys

I was under the impression that when driving the leisure battery is being charged once the starter battery is full.
If so do I need to install an intelligent charger so that the alternator will charge the leisure battery and keep the charging of both batteries topped up.

What are any implications to adding another battery or batteries.I have an Autocruise Starblazer XL with a 110amh battery I was going to replace this and buy 2 new 110amh batteries for a good battery bank so if I'm wildcamping I would have the freedom to stay away for 4/5 days without hookup.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

I was under the impression that when driving the leisure battery is being charged once the starter battery is full. correct
Am I wrong? Do I need to hook up every few days to charge the battery? no, there are many alternatives, drive (Alternator), solar, wind, generator
If so do I need to install an intelligent charger so that the alternator will charge the leisure battery and keep the charging of both batteries topped up. the alternator will only charge 1 battery at a time, regardless, you will need an isolating switch which basically switches the charging current /cycle from 1 battery to another, or an automatic charging relay, this is still the same, it only detects when one battery is charged and then switches to the other

What are any implications to adding another battery or batteries. none, unless you are trying to charge them together? but the above still applies, and be sure you go + to + and - to - otherwise you will have 24 volts and become a lorry!!! connecting live battery to dead battery is simple other than you need a jump lead to connect the live battery to the dead battery, easier than disconnecting and reconnecting, expecially in the dark, when 'I see dead people' are out, whooahhhhhhhh
I have an Autocruise Starblazer XL with a 110amh battery I was going to replace this and buy 2 new 110amh batteries for a good battery bank so if I'm wildcamping I would have the freedom to stay away for 4/5 days without hookup. what are you powering up? wattage? search on the forum, for usage etc, from what I learnt in 1 week, using standard items, fridge, lights, TV, hot water etc, you will get about 6 hours max on a battery with 120amp, to recharge said battery, you need to keep moving, or install a solar panel etc?

that's my quick intake on understanding, now for the barrage of corrections, and then I will learn something else Gaz:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi Guys

What are any implications to adding another battery or batteries.
I have an Autocruise Starblazer XL with a 110amh battery I was going to replace this and buy 2 new 110amh batteries for a good battery bank so if I'm wildcamping I would have the freedom to stay away for 4/5 days without hookup.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

ENOUGH SAID !!! :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi, firstly you need to check if your lb is getting charged from the engine :Smile: if not the simplest way is to fit a relay to charge it when engine runs.Engine on and alternator runs switches relay on charging lb :Smile: Adding another lb will double your off grid time.
I only have 1 x 110amphr lb but this lasts 3 to 4 days easy :thumb: everything 12v inc tv/dvd etc.If you find you are running low a trip to shops etc, tops up the battery::bigsmile: edit forgot to say relay costs aprox a tenner
Terry

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back