Aug 3, 2019
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2020 Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2002
Hi Funsters,

After reading reviews on here regards awnings, we are looking at ordering a quest pop up, but are unsure which to go for.

Cheaper by miles than a Fiamma wind out, and must be lighter to carry as well as any negative effects on aerodynamics.
We did have a Fiamma on the old Bessacarr, and paid fortunes, along with zip on sides, but rarely used them to be honest.

We are looking at either the quest 6 sided but not sure if it’s too wide at 11 feet, especially if pulling onto a site or our other alternative is the 4+4, 8 foot wide by 16 foot long.

The latter is on offer at the minute at just £189 which is cheaper than any other size I’ve seen. We’re not sure if the 4 would be large enough, as we can’t for the life of it, find anywhere with any in a showroom to see in the flesh.

Are these pop ups allowed on sites? Or are they reserved for wilding mainly?

Any advice please would be gratefully received.

Cheers everyone.

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Hi carol, how do you find it for space? Was also looking for awnings? Financially think probably next year, priority is new tyres, also drive away awnings have been mentioned , all but if a minefield :unsure:

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Hi carol, how do you find it for space? Was also looking for awnings? Financially think probably next year, priority is new tyres, also drive away awnings have been mentioned , all but if a minefield :unsure:

Personally I wouldn’t bother with an awning given how easy it is to put a pop up up.

Then your always worried about the wind picking up.

Ive heard drive aways can be a bit of a pain when returning to it.

Just my opinion obviously ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Snoopy ... we've had a few awnings over the years, drive away, caravan type, free standing etc but as we rarely stay in the same spot for more than a couple of nights, with the exception of when we got to MH shows, we rarely use one.

We have a good quality 'caravan' type one (ie can't drive away from it) which was lovely at the recent Lincoln show for a few days but having just changed from a PVC to an A-class it won't fit our new MH as it's not tall enough so we decided to get a Quest 4 (see my previous post). It fits nicely in the underfloor locker of our new MH so we can take it away with us on holiday and use if we want to - we never took the 'caravan' awning it in our PVC unless we knew for sure we were going to use it as it is a bit bulky and heavy.

One advantage of the Quest type over other free standing awnings is that as the sides are pulled 'outwards' you get to use the whole of the inner space as the walls don't taper in at the top which can severely restrict the actual usable space inside.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Thank you, appreciate the feedback, did you find it quite bulky or heavy? The pop up one.

I think the pop ups are great.

Not overly heavy but I’m reasonably strong.
Having said that my good lady can drop it down and bag it up.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks minky, that sounds spot on, usually just me and hubby, at festivals for a few days of with grandkids, so we don't really want anything too heavy, booked 5 day trip next may, ( round school hols) so hopefully will invest in one by then , thanks again (y)

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Thank you silver fox, will leave the heavy Work to hubby,:D but happy to help folding, appreciate your comments

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

Hi its good I use it all the time we usually have two comfortable chairs a table and then room for a couple of smaller chairs plenty of room for us, if you want a party tent 8 or more people you need bigger.
You could sit 6 in with a smaller table in the 4.
Basically for a couple the 4 has enough space to be comfortable un and so little trouble putting up and down.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Will do some price checks i think, pop it on my Xmas !ist ? :clap:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks minky, that sounds spot on, usually just me and hubby, at festivals for a few days of with grandkids, so we don't really want anything too heavy, booked 5 day trip next may, ( round school hols) so hopefully will invest in one by then , thanks again (y)
Minky ... first time I've been called that ... :giggle: .
Sorry, minxy.:rolleyes:need to put my glasses on,
No problem, it amuses me the various spellings of my user ID ... I suppose I should be grateful it wasn't Manky! :LOL:
Will do some price checks i think, pop it on my Xmas !ist ? :clap:
I think old-mo might have one going up for sale, also if you are willing to risk a 'holey' one keep an eye open for ones on Ebay, as I mentioned previously the one we got was new with just one small hole in it which I can easily patch and has saved us a fair bit of dosh.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Hi yes read the threads on the ebay holey ones, mmm not a twitchy person, I know :( should try, will give it all some thought, thanks again minxy :clap:

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Sure it's this predictive text, actually wearing my glasses:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Hi minxy girl how can I contact (old-mo) to ask if she is thinking about selling her spring up screen house, seen the videos, few places have them for sale, hubby happy with the ease of it.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Oooo, oops sorry, let's start again...how do I get in touch with that chap,? (old - mo)

Upvote 0

Maria41

Free Member
Aug 14, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I am a newbie
Been travelling for a month. We got a quest 4 pop up. We are new to campervan/MH but we did not want an awning in our newly converted van.
Finding the pop up absolutely fantastic. Takes seconds to put up. If windy we put few pegs. I can put it up and down on my own if necessary! Love it. Been absolutely great since we started our trip. Now in Croatia and soon Bosnia and beyond... Great for sun and for rain. Not ideal if strong wind but the side rain walls help.

We had lots of rain and wind in France. I would advise to get all rain walls as we have use all 4, including one over the “door” when it was wet and windy in France to protect from cold and wind.
Great also in hot weather for mosquitoes and flies ( had many in Italy!) although they still get through via the doors. But the mosquito net all around is great. All in all still very happy with it.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We are too lazy to put anything up that takes too long; we prefer to leave those sorts of tasks to the caravanners.

Really the choice of awning is one that should be based on how you are going to use the motorhome. If you are going top stay for longish periods on UK campsites, then the time taken to put it up and down and the amount of room you have to do so become less important. But, if, like us, you spend a lot of time in Europe, use mainly Aires and stay for only 1 or 2 days most or the time, then both the space you have and the time it takes become important considerations.

We have both a wind out awning and a 4 sided Quest. We only take the Quest when we are off to MHF rallies. The rest of the time we have the wind out awning if we want to use it, but often do not bother. Now we have fitted wall brackets for the feet of the awning we can wind it out to whatever length we want to suit the room we have at the place we are staying. That makes it much easier.

Upvote 0

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Bad decision. This one had holes in the roof too. Only 4 and only about 3mm. It’s being collected Tuesday
I now have the camperite one for £199 including 3 pairs of sides screens that tonka told us about. Finally one with no broken bits or holes! I expect a refund for the other one soon as it was collected a week ago.
I spoke to Quest at NEC. They only made 500 of these and they did not sell well. The unsold stock was sold on, the last 60 went to Camperite. They were interested to hear of the companies that sold me damaged ones and confirmed that they do not pass on “ seconds” for resale

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back