Quest pop up 6 - popping down! (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Had our Quest pop up 6 sider up for about a month now in Portugal, had some strong winds over the last few days and the roof has popped down twice now, anybody else had this problem?

I have no doubt the manufacturers will state that they are not designed to cope with strong winds etc but we are hoping to leave ours up all winter.

The sides remained in position and stable but if this happened combined with heavy rain then then the inverted roof would fill with water and I would imagine the weight would destroy the whole thing.

I have fixed a support pole under the centre and secured it in place and am confident this will prevent a re occurrence in all but the most extreme conditions but it gets in the way a little.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I am truly not trying to be negative but 'vans that pop-up like your Quest would not generally be made for semi-permanent use. Their virtue lies in light weight travel and quick erection rather than substantial heavy weather treatment.
However I am sure you enjoy challenging situations and will, I hope, have many happy years braving the elements.

OP
OP

Deleted User
I am truly not trying to be negative but 'vans that pop-up like your Quest would not generally be made for semi-permanent use. Their virtue lies in light weight travel and quick erection rather than substantial heavy weather treatment.
However I am sure you enjoy challenging situations and will, I hope, have many happy years braving the elements.

Yes I realise that, my post is by the way of a warning and is the reason that I have made the modification.

No awnings or shelters for use with motorhomes or caravans are meant to cope with extremes, the question is what defines 'extreme'?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You can put some rods across the roof Support’s that will help with resisting the roof dropping.

OP
OP

Deleted User
You can put some rods across the roof Support’s that will help with resisting the roof dropping.

The problem then is fixing them to the existing roof supports, good idea though I will investigate(y)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The problem then is fixing them to the existing roof supports, good idea though I will investigate(y)

Tie wraps or some of those Velcro type tie wraps.

You could do a bit of dumpster diving if someone is vining a cheap tent.
Get the rods out of it as it will allow the roof to flex a bit.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If the winds turn bad, it will just damage it.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I have fixed a support pole under the centre and secured it in place and am confident this will prevent a re occurrence in all but the most extreme conditions but it gets in the way a little.?
You can always dance around it :party:

:rofl::rofl:

OP
OP

Deleted User
Tie wraps or some of those Velcro type tie wraps.

You could do a bit of dumpster diving if someone is vining a cheap tent.
Get the rods out of it as it will allow the roof to flex a bit.

I'm not sure that cable ties or velcro would be strong or solid enough to withstand the side forces.

Another consideration is the fixing wearing against the the relatively thin roof material.

OP
OP

Deleted User
If the winds turn bad, it will just damage it.

I think the basic structure is flexible enough to take the normal strong winds that we are used to every winter it is just stopping the roof flexing downwards which I am confident that my modification will solve.

I will investigate the method mentioned by Silver-Fox which I think will work if I can work out a fixing method.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You could use hose clips and put some cloth between the clip and the roof material

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
I think the basic structure is flexible enough to take the normal strong winds that we are used to every winter it is just stopping the roof flexing downwards which I am confident that my modification will solve.

I will investigate the method mentioned by Silver-Fox which I think will work if I can work out a fixing method.

This was vango's storm strap much advertised advantage and patented system and as silver fox has said there are much cheaper and easier ways to do the same. The popping down of the roof is a recognised problem in quest if used in moderate to strong winds centre pole and strapping are the two biggest helps(y)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Had our Quest pop up 6 sider up for about a month now in Portugal, had some strong winds over the last few days and the roof has popped down twice now, anybody else had this problem?

I have no doubt the manufacturers will state that they are not designed to cope with strong winds etc but we are hoping to leave ours up all winter.

The sides remained in position and stable but if this happened combined with heavy rain then then the inverted roof would fill with water and I would imagine the weight would destroy the whole thing.

I have fixed a support pole under the centre and secured it in place and am confident this will prevent a re occurrence in all but the most extreme conditions but it gets in the way a little.

We have a Quest 4, they are fantastic. We were in Benicassim during a storm when loads of awnings were ripped from caravans and motorhomes. Our Quest just dances! The best part of the quest is that is goes with the wind but does not rip or break. When the wind was at its height the top popped down, all we did was push it up again, no problem, no worry, no damage.

Enjoy watching your quest dance in the wind and talking to other campers who cant understand why your awning can stand up to anything, whilst theirs has disintegrated!!

OP
OP

Deleted User
We have a Quest 4, they are fantastic. We were in Benicassim during a storm when loads of awnings were ripped from caravans and motorhomes. Our Quest just dances! The best part of the quest is that is goes with the wind but does not rip or break. When the wind was at its height the top popped down, all we did was push it up again, no problem, no worry, no damage.

Enjoy watching your quest dance in the wind and talking to other campers who cant understand why your awning can stand up to anything, whilst theirs has disintegrated!!

I agree about the wind, I could live with it popping down but if it did it in the night during a rainstorm I think the outcome could be catastrophic for the shelter.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming

I’ve also got a quest 4 and at this yearss Malvern Moho show there was a bit of a wind, but not what I would describe as very strong wind and it ripped one of the circular pegging points clean off, so I took it down to avoid any further damage and sewed the pegging point back on when we got home, but I was a bit disappointed that it ripped off in such a moderate wind, I don’t think they are suitable for very high wind, though we had it up in Benidorm for a month and it got quite breezy on times, but no problem apart from the fact that it faded quite a lot, ours is the navy coloured one but the roof is now a shade of bluey-grey.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Gwyntaxi

I would guess the time in Benidorm weakened the fabric due to UV and it ripped because of that.

Happened to out Vango awning. Fell to bits.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I agree about the wind, I could live with it popping down but if it did it in the night during a rainstorm I think the outcome could be catastrophic for the shelter.
Simple solution to that ... cut a nice big skylight in it ... sorted! :D

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
We had the same problem as you describe on our Quest 6-sider a couple of years ago at Lake Garda. We had an almighty storm one morning, torrential rain and the roof caved in. It filled with water and our only saving grace was that I had left our table inside so when the roof collapsed the centre was prevented from hitting the floor by the table. The weight of the roof once full of water was tremendous and it would have certainly destroyed the pop up. Now I always leave a table under the centre of the unit in case. Once the roof inverts (and I saw this happen due to wind not the rain) no amount of fixings will tolerate the amount of water that builds up when raining.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Do not write off the use of Velcro for there are a range of strengths to suite most situations. My previous Dethleffs van had some external panels that were held on with Velcro. It can be very strong.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Do not write off the use of Velcro for there are a range of strengths to suite most situations. My previous Dethleffs van had some external panels that were held on with Velcro. It can be very strong.

I have used velcro for securing many things and it is very good for certain jobs but it has its limitations, the main one being the fixing of the velcro to the objects being held together.

The direction of the forces involved in securing the two rods or bars together in this instance would make it difficult to get a solid fix I would think.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
There are some adhesives that are both strong and permanent but I do not wish to labour the point other than to say that Velcro can and is used to hold motorhome body parts permanently together during manufacture.

OP
OP

Deleted User
There are some adhesives that are both strong and permanent but I do not wish to labour the point other than to say that Velcro can and is used to hold motorhome body parts permanently together during manufacture.

I have not met a velcro adhesive that will withstand high temperatures and the joint envisaged in my particular scenario would need to endure high sheer stresses where the strength of the adhesive would be more important than the strength pf the velcro.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back