Quad (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
A car is so called because the word "car" is derived from the word carriage. Nothing to do with the amount of wheels in this case. Quad, relates to the amount of wheels. You wouldn't call a four legged support a quad tripod would you? Maybe you would.
Now, lets have it right! Quad means 4, Tri means 3, Bi means 2, and mono means 1. OK?

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Also, the term 5th wheel, relates to the turntable located in the bed of the hauling unit. 4 wheels on the trailer, either 4 single wheels or 4 dual wheels, and the 5th one is the one on the tractor unit.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
got more on mine 6wheels on rd 5th on unit ,steering wheel. fly wheel then the trailer 4on rd 2 spares for truck 2 for trailer. soon be time for wheel meet again dont know where dont know when. cheers wheel be off soon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A car is so called because the word "car" is derived from the word carriage. Nothing to do with the amount of wheels in this case. Quad, relates to the amount of wheels. You wouldn't call a four legged support a quad tripod would you? Maybe you would.
Now, lets have it right! Quad means 4, Tri means 3, Bi means 2, and mono means 1. OK?

cycle is preceeded by Mono, Bi, and Tri so what makes quad so different ?

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
Haven't towed a quad or quad bike but have towed a quadzilla...:whatthe:
We towed it for about 3000 miles and then had a problem with the rear wheel bearings as there was no diff:Eeek:
Otherwise worked fine.
Here is a link to my blog on our experience The Buggy – Experience so far! Liz & Patrick’s Travels
Hope this helps.It is for sale complete with tow bar if interested:RollEyes:
Patrick

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
l've really got you all going haven't l?

You will all think when you see a "quad"! "now is that a quad or a bike"? Also, l hope none of you out there have "quad twins", or "quad triplets" in the family. Maybe you have "quad quads"! How many would that be?

Anyway, l hate the term "Quad bikes"! It is both annoying, and incorrect! You can say what you like, l don't care anymore. It goes along with, Haitch (H), Sickth (6th), Birth (as in sleeping berths), and being gassed whilst asleep in a MH, and not forgetting, "through vision" Its all a load of XXXX!!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

You will all think when you see a "quad"! "now is that a quad or a bike"? Also, l hope none of you out there have "quad twins", or "quad triplets" in the family. Maybe you have "quad quads"! How many would that be?

Anyway, l hate the term "Quad bikes"! It is both annoying, and incorrect! You can say what you like, l don't care anymore. It goes along with, Haitch (H), Sickth (6th), Birth (as in sleeping berths), and being gassed whilst asleep in a MH, and not forgetting, "through vision" Its all a load of XXXX!!!

actually, i couldnt agree more.

but it is still a variation on a motorBIKE :ROFLMAO:

BTW.....quad quads = 16 of the little bug.......darlings::bigsmile:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Aha! a trike! thats the one with three wheels! l understand that!

One more thing about a variation of a motorbike. Concorde, the graceful aeroplane, had what can only be described as, "handlebars", for a yoke, (control column), would you say that was a variation of a motorbike? l think not!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi andy, nice but not new, the french were building similar in the 40,s guiler or something like that .used to see them at french bike meets .favourite was change the motor to yamaha 350 twin two strokes .they used to go like hot stink then. was it the ys 350

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Early days

Royal Enfield built and put on sale a powered Quadracycle in 1893 that works in the same way as, and resembles, a modern quad-bike.

nowt new about quads then....:winky:

PAPPAJOHN
What about this one on French ebay
:Eeek::Doh: A Quad

Quad3

three wheels and still called a quad
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :thumb:

Link Removed

Hows about that then as "JIMMY" would say, now living in Scarborough ...Saville of coarse

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, pappa that must have been in there push bike days i only have info from 1901 when they played about with a minerva engine over the front wheel drioving the rear wheelby belt drive.always interested in more info ,bring it on. by the way i have made it back after lots of attempts. cheers alan.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi, pappa that must have been in there push bike days i only have info from 1901 when they played about with a minerva engine over the front wheel drioving the rear wheelby belt drive.always interested in more info ,bring it on. by the way i have made it back after lots of attempts. cheers alan.

History
In 1893, the Enfield Manufacturing Company Ltd was registered to manufacture bicycles. By 1899, Enfield were producing quadricycles with De Dion engines and experimenting with a heavy bicycle frame fitted with a Minerva engine clamped to the front downtube.[1]
Royal Enfield built their first motorcycle in 1901 with a 239 cc engine. In 1907, Enfield merged with the 'Alldays & Onions Pneumatic Engineering Co.' of Birmingham, and began manufacturing the Enfield-Allday automobile. By 1910, Royal Enfield was using 344 cc Swiss Motosacoche V-Twin engines, or large-displacement JAP and Vickers-Wolseley engines.[2] In 1912, the Royal Enfield Model 180 sidecar combination was introduced with a 770 cc V-twin JAP engine which was raced successfully in the Isle of Man TT and at Brooklands.[1]

Royal Enfield........or the Queens chicken run.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Note they are called Quadricycles, NOT quad bikes! And as for that thing with three wheels for sale on e-bay, it is clearly a TRIKE!

What do you lot call the 6 wheeled ATV? The one thats amphibious. This should be interesting.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Note they are called Quadricycles, NOT quad bikes! And as for that thing with three wheels for sale on e-bay, it is clearly a TRIKE!

What do you lot call the 6 wheeled ATV? The one thats amphibious. This should be interesting.

An Army Duck :thumb:

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years

Does it really matter what people say as long has you know what they mean.Seems you are very pc which is strange when you list it as a dislike?:winky:
Dave

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

This is a thread I started, and it was to find information about a quad and towing if possible.

Then I see this below by simsy56

"If anything really brasses me off its the terminology, "Quad bikes".

And then followed by

"Oh there are plenty other things that brass me off!
People who pronounce the letter H, Haitch, instead of Aitch. And people who say sickth, instead of sixth! "

Then can somebody please tell me what this word he has now quoted,

" Shaddup!"

Is this the word "Shut up" or something else,

Surely this word would brass him off more than the word quad.

And at the end of the day after all his replies I have had no information from him about towing a quad………………..or is that to follow………..and he was just getting things off his chest that brasses him off first.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi melvin,

dont know a lot about quads but i do know a lot are auto...whether of the centrifugal clutch or constantly variable type.
many are four wheel drive which could cause 'transmission windup' problems if flat towed unless it is switchable between 4 and 2 wheel drive.

cant see any easy way to operate the brakes from an A frame and as it has brakes they must all work, by law, even though they are under the magic 750kg limit for unbraked trailers.

tyre rubber may be too soft for the side forces when cornering and scrub the tread off in no time and the whole thing may bounce like a rubber ball.

just my views and opinions.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi melvin trailer the quad.ok.
pappa nice bit of info ,i only have info that they experimented with the de dion engines nothing about quad type vehicles only 1901 m,bike. always like new info. my info says alldays built the threewheeler before working with allons to later produce m,bikes.
i am looking at encyclopedia of m,cycles by erwin tragatsch. all interesting.
what do you use.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
History
France was the first country to define technical standards and traffic rules for quadricycles. The French ministerial decree of May 29, 1986 legally defined the quadricycle as a vehicle included in the moped category, equipped with four wheels and a body.
In 1992, the European Union published Directive 92/61/EEC which considered that quadricycles fell into the same category as mopeds. Framework Directive 2002/24/EC then refined this definition by distinguishing between light and heavy quadricycles (L6e and L7e categories). The European Commission now wants to revise this 2002/24EC directive in order to simplify legislation, to improve road safety and to set new standards for gaseous emissions.
Furthermore, Directive 2006/126 (3rd Driving Licence Directive) establishes a common framework for light quadricycles driving licences. It imposes the same requirements for light quadricycles as for mopeds, including the driving age, for which it recommends 16 years as a minimum. The transposition deadline of the directive is 19 January 2011.[2]

is a moped not a small motorBIKE ?

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hardly ever use it i,m computer illiterate. have lots of books and stuff. one day i,ll master computers .sometimes would like to put up photos etc but if any body stasrts to help i get lost really quick . still dont know what all the keys do. put me on american hot rod on quest tv .i can do that. maybe not quite as good as them. their equipment is ace. cant be good at every thing. have fun cheers alan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back