Q please (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
When on gas, does having vent fans running to disperse heat make it more or less effective at cooling ?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
When on gas, does having vent fans running to disperse heat make it more or less effective at cooling ?
It depends on where the fans are. If they are at the top of the cavity behind the fridge and blowing air out then it makes the fridge and freezer work much better

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Yes, but ONLY in hot weather. Accidently had ours on once in April & the freezer defrosted.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
They're at the top vent blowing out.
My fridge is playing up on gas and the only way i know it's working is to feel the flue vent to see if it's hot. But with fans blowing I can barely be felt.
Anyway I've rigged up a remote digital thermometer to put in the freezer and it seems to be ok.
33c here in Wertheim am Mein !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Let's see if I got this right......

In cooler climes the burner gases convect quite rapidly (cooler ambient air, warm exhaust) drawing heat from the fridge coolant.

In much warmer climes the ambient air temperature and exhaust gas temperature are much closer matched so the convection is much slower drawing less heat from the fridge coolant.
Having fans running draws air faster through the cavity area and faster moving air is always cooler than static air (think standing in front of a fan on a hot day) so the exhaust gas rises faster and draws more heat from the fridge coolant.

Physics dear boy, physics.

Deleted User

In cooler climes the burner gases convect quite rapidly (cooler ambient air, warm exhaust) drawing heat from the fridge coolant.

In much warmer climes the ambient air temperature and exhaust gas temperature are much closer matched so the convection is much slower drawing less heat from the fridge coolant.
Having fans running draws air faster through the cavity area and faster moving air is always cooler than static air (think standing in front of a fan on a hot day) so the exhaust gas rises faster and draws more heat from the fridge coolant.

Not sure about the moving air being colder than static air, the only reason the air from a fan feels cooler is because of evaporation from the skin and replacing air warmed by our body with cooler ambient air, unless of coursevthe ambient air temp is greater than 39.8°C.

A draught created by a fridge fan moves heated air from the fins of the coolant radiator and replaces it with cooler ambient air more efficiently than convection currents, think car radiator.

At least that's my attempt at the physics.....but I did fail A level physics:)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not sure about the moving air being colder than static air, the only reason the air from a fan feels cooler is because of evaporation from the skin and replacing air warmed by our body with cooler ambient air, unless of coursevthe ambient air temp is greater than 39.8°C.

A draught created by a fridge fan moves heated air from the fins of the coolant radiator and replaces it with cooler ambient air more efficiently than convection currents, think car radiator.

At least that's my attempt at the physics.....but I did fail A level physics:)
OK, so using that basis you don't actually need gas as the air will remove the heat by evaporation. :whistle::D

When I was at school A level was something you used to check if something was sloping.

Deleted User
OK, so using that basis you don't actually need gas as the air will remove the heat by evaporation. :whistle::D

When I was at school A level was something you used to check if something was sloping.

Burning the gas causes the refrigerant to evaporate in the sealed system and then condense in another part, taking heat away from the air inside the refrigerator, I do not understand that process fully but I do understand that the heat withdrawn from the refrigerator has to go somewhere and that somewhere is the finned radiator on the back.

The heat is exchanged from that radiator to the surrounding air which will rise by convection to the top vent and be replaced by cooler air through the bottom vent, in warm weather this process is aided by increasing the air flow over the fins with the fans.

The gas is burnt to provide an energy source to drive the system, and is exhausted separately from the coolant air.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Physics, "Who the hell is Physics"or was it Alice

Deleted User
I believe it is all down to latent heat folks... latent heat.

(I left school before 6th form though.)

JJ :cool:

You may be right......I would need to look it up and then would probably be no wiser.........I was good at sums though:)

Reactions: JJ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back