Q: How do you know that the solar panels on the roof are charging the leisure battery? (1 Viewer)

InvictaMoto

Free Member
Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
Newbie Question?

It may be a rather silly question one too. My 2013 Elddis Majestic 115 has two solar panels on the roof and these are connected (I suppose!) to the leisure battery through some magick or other. I can see that the unit under the seat is flashing a green light from the panels.

We have yet to wild camp other than a few stops in the middle of nowhere where have used the LPG gas to cook and use the gas hob..... What should we expect from the leisure setup electricity wise? Lights? Water pump?

Thanks in advance for all the replies....

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Not sure what you mean by not sure what to expect.
With a solar panel of about 130 w in English weather at this time of year. With careful use of lights and other electrical equipment, you should have no problems. In mid winter you need to be more careful using tv + lights and pumps for heating. In southern Spain mid summer you can use everything just about.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
You can check the output from your panels using a multimeter and then from the controller to the battery.
At this time of year you won't get a lot of solar but as said enough for lights, pump and charging up your phone's. Heating will use a lot of battery power for the fan.
Best to invest in another leisure battery if you only have the one.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Using a volt/multimeter check the voltage AT THE BATTERY on a sunny day.
If it's charging the voltage will be well over 13.6v if no other charging source is in use......IE: hookup, engine running etc.
If the voltage is 12.6v or less the solar isn't working.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I'm off grid at the moment. My 180w panel is managing to keep the fridge going, plus low energy lights and charging my phone. We've had a reasonable amount of sun today although it's been jolly cold! The rest of the week is due to be much wetter so I'm expecting that the solar input will be minimal, so the fridge may struggle a bit and I'll probably switch it off at night as I used to do pre-solar, since in these temperatures the fridge isn't going to get warm enough to be a problem. If I forget, my solar controller is set to shut off the fridge if the available battery power drops off too much, but I prefer to conserve the energy overnight and use it when it's more helpful.
I can track what my panel is putting into my battery via the Victron app on my phone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If your leisure battery goes flat - you'll know that the solar panels aren't charging your battery [sufficiently]

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
You could invest in a smart shunt which will tell you state of charge, voltage and current in and out via an app on your phone or tablet. The Victron one is quite popular I have the version in the link.

Amazon product ASIN B0856PHNLX

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
You could invest in a smart shunt which will tell you state of charge, voltage and current in and out via an app on your phone or tablet. The Victron one is quite popular I have the version in the link.

Amazon product ASIN B0856PHNLX
I recently did something similar with a very cheap Chinese display which shows all relevant information and got a shunt for £20 so total of 40 nicker.
It doesnt do smart phone or anything and I just glance at it on the way in.
Amazon is your friend on this one (imv)

I have the smart phone thingy off the Victron app but it doesnt give me capacity which is what I wanted to know

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back