Mar 11, 2010
South East England
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
Hi everyone,

We are making our way down to the Pyrenees at the weekend and I am getting a bit nervous as to what roads are suitable for my van. I have read several posts on this and am a bit confused. We have only a week when we get there so I was thinking of joining at St Gaudens using the N125 and onto the D125. After that the D618 to Cadeac/Arreau the turning north onto the D918 through the Col d'Aspin and Col du Tourmalet taking in Gavarnie. After that back up to Luz-St-Sauvier then down the D921 to Cauterets using the D920. Then back tracking up to Lourdes. After that we will see how the time goes and possibly making our way to Pau. If we have time is there anywhere we should go btween Pau and Bayonne that is really scenic as that is what we like. The van is 7.5 metres in length.

Thanks

Phil P

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I don't have a motorhome so quite difficult for me to tell you if it's OK or not. At least i know that many buses drive people to Lourdes for example , so if they can you can .

Only real advice i can give you is to use as much as you can engine brake once you get down in the "col du Tourmalet" or you'll find yourself without any brake at all at the end of it . It happened to me and believe it's a flipping experience!
If you feel your brakes become weak then stop and give them a rest. There's a garage right at the end of it .....the man had a funny smile on his face when coming to me and asked (cheeky one!) Hmmmmm no brakes?

Keep that in mind , it might help!!!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

ian81

Free Member
May 27, 2008
Funster No
..last bit of help as I wont be subsrribing!!!

We did many of those routes last year without problems in our 6m van but there were plenty of longer MH's about. Beautiful area and many great wild camping opportunities.

A bigger problem this coming weekend will be the fact that it is the start of the French holidays so traffic will be heavy.

PS This post is an example of what I have commented about in another post to do with subs: it is also appearing on the mhfxxxs forum!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Pyrenees

No problems with routes around the Pyrenees, have done all the routes from Spain into France twice a year and vice- versa. As one would expect the views are fantastic, the tunnels are free and good (except adjacent to Andora which is a lousy route in any case).
So have a go man, you will enjoy. Its been mentioned that the French hols may be a problem, we have always found roads are not congested. I believe that the French have limited time to get to their destination and more inclined to use pay motorways anyway.

Ron W

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back