Pyrenees / Mediterranean coast (1 Viewer)

Markas

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Bressuire, Deux-Sevres
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Off and on since 2015
Hi all,
Have some time off next week and am planning a trip down to Carcassone and Perpignan, maybe venturing further East along the Mediterranean coast.
Planning to stop on aires for a couple of nights in each place. (Need to boost my FLB credentials!!)
Wondered if any other funsters were in the area and fancied meeting up?
Still awaiting paperwork for the new van so won't be venturing into Spain though

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Have some time off next week and am planning a trip down to Carcassone and Perpignan, maybe venturing further East along the Mediterranean coast.
That's a hell of a journey to be doing in a few days.
Unpredictable weather in the Massif central .
Good luck.

Oppps.... Just realised where you are. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Just be aware how cold it can be over there this time of year. Aires may have water turned off etc.
Anyway safe trip.

Whoops I have also just seen your location so you will already know. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Just be aware how cold it can be over there this time of year. Aires may have water turned off etc.
Anyway safe trip.

I'm sure that location said Norfolk earlier or am I going gaga?

Richard.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have parked up a few times in Carcassone FOC. Go over the bridge travelling south and immediately turn right, go down the ramp and turn left, there is a carpark on your left by the side of the river and a 3 minute walk into the walled city.
Department 66 is one of my favourite areas of France, but I think travelling west from Perpignan towards the Alberes is much nicer than east. Collioure, Port Vendres, Banyuls, Cerbere and Portbou are lovely at any time of year. Also all the villages going inland a few kilometres are very nice.

OP
OP
Markas

Markas

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Bressuire, Deux-Sevres
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Off and on since 2015
Anyway safe trip.

We're getting down to about -3 most nights here, further south does look a bit warmer on the long-range forecast.

OP
OP
Markas

Markas

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Bressuire, Deux-Sevres
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Off and on since 2015
Have parked up a few times in Carcassone FOC. Go over the bridge travelling south and immediately turn right, go down the ramp and turn left, there is a carpark on your left by the side of the river and a 3 minute walk into the walled city.
Department 66 is one of my favourite areas of France, but I think travelling west from Perpignan towards the Alberes is much nicer than east. Collioure, Port Vendres, Banyuls, Cerbere and Portbou are lovely at any time of year. Also all the villages going inland a few kilometres are very nice.
Thank you, that sounds like good advice. As Carcasonne is en route I'm going to stop there first; have found a site open for camping cars at Maureillas - may make that a base for a couple of days and after that might follow a westwards route then!

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
In much earlier days ,the boss me and two ankle snappers in a Transit ,similar area to @Snowbird ,but used to hover around Port Bacares ,kids loved the area and made friends with local kids ,and have kept in touched ever since.
mostly wilding back then with a campsite when needed ,their 6 week holiday was fun and an education.

Feb 16, 2017
Maidstone
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
20 years
Had a house in that area for 12 years at St Cyprien, lovely area, this time of year you can wild camp on the sea road between St Cyprien and Canet. The Aire at St Cyprien is also ina great position overlooking the Marina.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Had a house in that area for 12 years at St Cyprien, lovely area, this time of year you can wild camp on the sea road between St Cyprien and Canet. The Aire at St Cyprien is also ina great position overlooking the Marina.

We must have been neighbours. I had a small hotel/bar/restaurant in Sorede, just inland from St Cyprien many years ago. Houses were very cheap in those days until it became popular with ex pats. In my opinion, one of the nicest areas in France and the locals are very friendly, hardly a week went by without someone inviting me over for drinks and a BBQ. Am still in touch with people down there now, and its over 30 years ago since I left. Thankfully, I still get invitations from the Chef de chasse when the sanglier cull is on and try to visit at least once per year, if only to stock up on Pastis.

OP
OP
Markas

Markas

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Bressuire, Deux-Sevres
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Off and on since 2015
Thanks for the advice...am on that aire right now. 7€ per night with EHU (only to charge the battery of course) Not quite an flb but pretty darn close!! 13 degrees at 10.30pm - mustn't grumble!

OP
OP
Markas

Markas

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Bressuire, Deux-Sevres
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Off and on since 2015
Am considering running down to Portbou tomorrow. Is the D914/ N260 passable with a 6m campervan? Google maps suggests it's pretty twisty - good for scenery, not good for stress levels!!

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Last time we did that route was a good few years back in an xlwb transit ,never in a rush but from what I remember normal French roads ,potholes and more roundabouts I suspect . But scenic.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Am considering running down to Portbou tomorrow. Is the D914/ N260 passable with a 6m campervan? Google maps suggests it's pretty twisty - good for scenery, not good for stress levels!!

Did the route in my 7.5m Cheyenne in March last year, no problems. Agree with both scenery and stress but not too bad overall. Go for it!:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back