PVC: what to buy to supplement 2 rings? (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Title says it all really. We are eagerly anticipating the long-delayed arrival of our first MH, a panel van conversion. It will have 2 rings, no oven. We will normally be cooking for 3, occasionally 4.

Storage is limited so we want to take one other source of cooking only. Ideas so far include
- lotusgrill portable bbq
- cobb
- Weber 1200
- Cadac Safari

We eat fish and veggie ... but my teenager would like the odd sausage or burger .

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
A double skillet, which can be used as an oven, or 2 x pans separately on the gas rings.
You can bake, roast, fry, poach, saute, and boil. We've had one for years, and are rarely on EHU for most of the year. ;)

http://www.thedoubleskilletpancompany.com/

The current owner is also FUN member, so a discount may be available. ;)
Other styles and brands are available, should you wish to research.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Cobbs are a great oven when you are off grid, Remoskas are superb when you are hooked up. A double a Skillet is a good compromise yy

Reactions: SMB

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I like my Cadac Safari Chef 2 but of course it is outside cooking, you can grill and fry or you can put a pan on and do a curry or whatever you wouldn't want to do inside the van, double skillet is good and of course can be used as a pan as well so it doesn't eat up too much space in the cupboard.

Martin

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We are on our 2nd pvc we had a cadac with the 1st one but after a couple of years and not using it that much sold it. :whistle:

We have a remoska if we have electric, we have a really good heavy bottom glass lid pan, that Janie can do a pizza in just every now and then wipe the lid, for meat and fish we have something similar to a ridge monkey, thanks to @BwB and it works very well, and of course a couple of saucepans . :LOL: Bob.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We also have a double skillet and Pat makes some fantastic meals in it, you can even make toast or cheese on toast for a quick meal.

John.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Weber Q1200.. great barbie, I have one, downside, bulky and an awkward shape for storing.. IMV too big for a PVC .. either the smaller
Weber Go-Anywhere gas model.. or just use disposables.

You don't say if you will be on EHU.. if so and electric frying pan is very versatile.. can be used for stewing, boiling, frying, roasting, curries, bolognese sauce etc

A small Wok is very useful

For stove top baking an Omnia Oven.. http://omniasweden.com/en/home/

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Weber Q1200.. great barbie, I have one, downside, bulky and an awkward shape for storing.. IMV too big for a PVC .. either the smaller
Weber Go-Anywhere gas model.. or just use disposables.

You don't say if you will be on EHU.. if so and electric frying pan is very versatile.. can be used for stewing, boiling, frying, roasting, curries, bolognese sauce etc

A small Wok is very useful

For stove top baking an Omnia Oven.. http://omniasweden.com/en/home/

Thanks Jim. Very useful re Weber 1200 ... that was my concern.

To be honest I don’t know re EHU ... this is our first MH and I think it will take some time to establish how we’re most comfortable travelling ... certainly we have a tendency to set off after work on a Friday which would mean we stop too late for a caravan site so some non-EHU meals are on the cards.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I wouldn't worry about it to begin with. We have four burners on our hob but have never used them all at the same time. Only very rarely do we even use three.

Given the time of year how many BBQs are you going to be doing this winter?

I would just stick with what you have and when you have a few trips under your belt you will have a better idea what extra, if any, cooking stuff you need. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We don't do sites or have EHU so it's gotta be something we can use at any time.

We have a suitcase single hob (these cost about £10) and can be used outside the camper with anything on it you like, eg large frying pan, griddle pan, stew pot etc (or inside if you're careful). We also have a larger version which is a BBQ with a large grid area and we've just bought a smallish blow torch 'top' for browning in place of a grill which works very well. All of these run of the cheap aerosol type canisters (£4 for 4) so we only have to carry one type of canister around and they are easily bought both here and abroad.

For pans as well as the usual saucepans etc we have a pressure cooker and this is extremely good for 'space' saving on the hob and gas saving too, as you can cook your spuds and veg together so leave the other gas ring for the fish/burger etc, and also an 8" size double skillet and this would work well alongside a pressure cooker as you could put fish in the top pan and burger etc in the bottom one (no cross-contamination!). You can't get the 10" double skilled new now although they do come up on Ebay occasionally, but we found the 10" one we had too big for a 2-ring hob anyway. We also have a lovely French chip pan - it's an enamelled base (no handle) but does have 2 upstands on the rim, it has has a basket with 2 small side 'handles' on the top, when the basked is lifted out the handles sit on the upstands to keep it raised above the fat so the contents can drain, or allow us to put something else in the pan to fry whilst keeping the contents of the basket warmed over it, it saves a lot of mess and hassle trying to life stuff out with a strainer. Oh, one benefit of a pressure cooker, once the food is cooked, you can simply remove the pressure cooker from the hob and sit it on a trivet (release the steam outside but don't remove the lid) and it will keep the contents nice and warm whilst you use the rings to do the rest of the meal, then just serve it all up.

The key to 2-hob cooking, though, is to keep it simply, don't try to reproduce the same meals you do at home using a 4-ring hob and grill/oven with all the trimmings - for example we occasionally have a 'fry-up' (ore a grill-up nowadays to be a bit more healthy) which includes bacon, sausage, egg, beans, mushrooms, fried bread etc but in a camper this is too pratty, so we just stick to bacon, egg and fried bread and occasionally beans if we're really desperate for a 'fuller' version.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Get yourself a gas steamer (stacking pans) and a good frying pan ...you can cook toast, chips and alsorts in the frying pan ,,,,,,just ask Bill and Kate @Ambilkate (y)

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Get yourself a gas steamer (stacking pans) and a good frying pan ...you can cook toast, chips and alsorts in the frying pan ,,,,,,just ask Bill and Kate @Ambilkate (y)
As Terry says the stainless steel stacking steamer pans are ideal I cook meals for three, veg and steamed fish or chicken in it we have a decent sized frying pan that we cook burgers etc and the small French fries in. If you defrost the fries first they don't take long and area just like crispy Mcdonald fries once done. We often have toasted cheese and chips cooked on hob. We tend to only cook in Van when weather is wet and cold whilst travelling. Once camped we cook outside in our pop up using Cadac but also have a small gas canister hob which is adequate for what you would need. I also have a Mr D which will cook a whole chicken in. Once it's brought to boiling on stove for 5mins early morning you put it in Mr D and leave it all day till your ready for your evening meal doesn't need Gas or electric as it's thermal cooking. We just put veg and potatoes in stacking steamer for 20mins We then have a lovely cooked meal. . I've never used a skillet but would think it would be very useful
Kate

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We also us a stacking steamer and its amazing what you can cook in a frying pan. We also use a cheap camping toaster on the hob.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Bought one of these, only cheap but small, light and comes in a nice case for storage under the seats.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Hobs with 3 rings are available for PVCs:

18850-11.jpg

We have yet to cook on all 3 gas rings at the same time.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
We have a suitcase single hob (these cost about £10)
I also have one of these which must be at least 8 years old and is great for cooking outside. I use this and an electric griddle which I plug into the outside electric point we had put on the van. I never barbeque but dont feel left out by the barbequing fraternity as I can stand there with my glass of wine and sizzle with the best of them! I am a motorhomer that enjoys a few home comforts such as electricity but can live without it for 2/4 nights at a time with my 3 gas rings in the van(only ever use one!) And my suitcase ring.

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
In 1983 I drove from England to Lomé
And in the streamer, you can boild the spuds in the bottom and cook all kinds and qualities in the top two pans. once water boilss: 20 mins for potatoes, 15 for parsnips and 3 mins for asparagus, for example... easy to time.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We will be taking the Wonderbag away with us this time. Great in place of a slow cooker. Once the food is heated up, place it in the Wonderbag and off you go. Not continues to cook as you travel. And food is ready when you arrive. No electric, no gas. A very green way of cooking.

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
@Cat53
I've just looked Wonderbag up, having never heard of them. Seems a great idea and you seem sold on the idea...
Are they really well-enough insulated to keep food cooking for 8 hours in November?

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
@Cat53
I've just looked Wonderbag up, having never heard of them. Seems a great idea and you seem sold on the idea...
Are they really well-enough insulated to keep food cooking for 8 hours in November?

I only bought mine a few weeks ago. Did a beautiful Durban Lamb Curry in the house and a stew. You basically start the cooking process. So, for example, the lamb stew you fry the lamb chops, onions, add tin of butter beans, tin tomatoes various spices, potatoes, bring to 5he boil. Simmer for 20 mins then put in the bag. Ours went in the bag at 10am. We ate it at 3.30 and it was still piping hot. Utterly delicious. I cooked a stew overnight in it. It was warm but not hot. It was in from 7 to 7. It does say the temperature around it affects cooking time. My plan is to cook in it when travelling. I like the green aspect of it. It’s a thing of beauty and Ilove that my purchase provided one free for a needy family. :) The food is delicious. Better than a slow cooker for flavour.

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks for that @Cat53. I very much like the idea and will most likely buy one in preference to a slow cooker. The idea of cooking while travelling is brilliant. thanks for the heads up.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for that @Cat53. I very much like the idea and will most likely buy one in preference to a slow cooker. The idea of cooking while travelling is brilliant. thanks for the heads up.
It also keeps food cold. So you can be off grid and keep your cold chicken in it with no problems.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I’ve seen a Mr Ds recommended ... same idea.

Anyone know if frying pan with lid works just same as double skillet?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back