PVC or coach built (1 Viewer)

May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Hi everyone

I'm looking to purchase a motorhome and am just at the beginning of the journey to decide what to buy. So much learning and research to do!

My big stumbling block at the moment is to decide whether to go down the PVC or coachbuilt route. The problem I have is that I have different uses, which are best suited to both types of vehicle (and one of each is not an option!). A lot of my use will be me alone for one or two nights, and not spending much time in the vehicle as I volunteer at events away from home. For this a PVC seems perfect.

At other times, I might be with 1 or 2 companions, either touring or staying away for several nights, a week or longer. The PVC would be easier to drive around more narrow roads, easier to visit places, and I'm not too worried about the claustrophobia aspect. More of a concern is having enough storage for the day to day gubbins that you would want to take if staying somewhere for a few days - camping chairs / table / windbreak / bbq / 2 bikes - I can see it all adding up. Then there is the question of carrying it within the payload. I have a C1 licence so would be happy to have a >3.5T vehicle if required but this seems pretty rare in the PVC world compared to coach built.

I'd be interested to hear from others who own PVCs how they get on with carrying what they need (especially including bikes) in terms of both storage and weight. I'm happy with a rear bike carrier or towball carrier, but of course they will add weight.

Other differences between the types of vehicle - they seem the same sort of price, I'm guessing PVCs tend to be an all-steel body whereas coach built would be lighter materials, but both will have a steel chassis which will rust at the same rate.

In terms of what I'm looking for - at least 3 berth and 3 travelling seats, not a pop-top. The rest is up for grabs! I'm also undecided whether to look at a fixed double bed at the rear (more comfortable / more storage under) or 2 bench sofas which convert to a double or can be 2 singles (less comfortable? / more hassle to make the bed up, but nice to have more sitting space on a rainy day!)

I realise that I will have to decide which aspects are more important to me, but would love to hear from people whether they find their PVC adequate or restrictive and wish they had something larger.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and experiences.

Paul

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
Yeah, I thought all of that too (y) but how the 6.7 when parked? :confused:

Because it has "half a slide out." It extends 700mm when parked. Travelling, its just under 6 metres (5999mm!). Doing it that way allows for a smallish garage underneath. Enough room for two cycles, liquid refreshments and a few other bits and bobs.

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Because it has "half a slide out." It extends 700mm when parked. Travelling, its just under 6 metres (5999mm!). Doing it that way allows for a smallish garage underneath. Enough room for two cycles, liquid refreshments and a few other bits and bobs.
Nice, what make/model? I need to check these out

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
When I was looking around for the one I have now, I had much the same thoughts as the OP. That is to say, should it be a PVC or coachbuilt.

On every PVC is saw, I disliked 3 things. First, the twin doors at the rear. Why manufacturers dont have either a tailgate, hinged at the top as some german built Transits do, or even a "Clamshell" type is beyond me. Second, the side door. No point in having a wide door that has half of its width restricted by the cooker. Does anyone on here restrict entry to their home permanently by putting a piece of immovable furniture in front of it? I am aware that some owners restrict the amount that the door opens, which in a way proves my point! Third, they always seem to be a bit dark and claustrophobic inside.

So I bought a coachbuilt, or more correctly, lowprofile. Similar width to PVC's, under 6 metres when travelling, 6,7 when parked, and space for three. Or even four if three of the travellers are...erm...friendly! :rolleyes:
You didn't look at a Murvi then. :) They have in terms of working space more or less the biggest kitchen you can get in any MH irrespective of price - and none of it obstructs the side door. :) It also has so many windows it is like living in a greenhouse at times. :)

They are all a compromise but I think a PVC three-up, assuming they are adults, will be cramped and possibly a compromise too far unless you are on very cosy terms with each other.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul_Oxon
May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
When I was looking around for the one I have now, I had much the same thoughts as the OP. That is to say, should it be a PVC or coachbuilt.

On every PVC is saw, I disliked 3 things. First, the twin doors at the rear. Why manufacturers dont have either a tailgate, hinged at the top as some german built Transits do, or even a "Clamshell" type is beyond me. Second, the side door. No point in having a wide door that has half of its width restricted by the cooker. Does anyone on here restrict entry to their home permanently by putting a piece of immovable furniture in front of it? I am aware that some owners restrict the amount that the door opens, which in a way proves my point! Third, they always seem to be a bit dark and claustrophobic inside.

So I bought a coachbuilt, or more correctly, lowprofile. Similar width to PVC's, under 6 metres when travelling, 6,7 when parked, and space for three. Or even four if three of the travellers are...erm...friendly! :rolleyes:

For me, I have mixed feelings about the rear doors. Great for loading something like a bike, or for a trip to Ikea. Nice to open on a warm day to air the van. Bad if it's raining and you need to load something and get the bed wet, possibly a cold spot in the join in cold weather.

The partially obstructed sliding door I think I'm good with. On a nice day, being able to cook next to the door, pass food out seems convenient and in a small vehicle will open it up nicely.

Newer ones seem to be quite light, with good size roof lights, but claustrophobia once you get 2 or more people on board is definitely a concern.

It does seem strange to me that although some coach builts are barely any larger than a PVC, psychologically they feel larger and I imagine that you can sneak a PVC into a car parking space at a supermarket or tourist attraction, whereas with a coach built it's a bit trickier and you have to go looking for a dedicated spot, or take up multiple car spaces. What's your experience been?

Paul

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
For me, I have mixed feelings about the rear doors. Great for loading something like a bike, or for a trip to Ikea. Nice to open on a warm day to air the van. Bad if it's raining and you need to load something and get the bed wet, possibly a cold spot in the join in cold weather.

The partially obstructed sliding door I think I'm good with. On a nice day, being able to cook next to the door, pass food out seems convenient and in a small vehicle will open it up nicely.

Newer ones seem to be quite light, with good size roof lights, but claustrophobia once you get 2 or more people on board is definitely a concern.

It does seem strange to me that although some coach builts are barely any larger than a PVC, psychologically they feel larger and I imagine that you can sneak a PVC into a car parking space at a supermarket or tourist attraction, whereas with a coach built it's a bit trickier and you have to go looking for a dedicated spot, or take up multiple car spaces. What's your experience been?

Paul

We found no cold spot at the join.
Ours has curtains from a rail at the roof across the door, they could be replaced with a shower curtain if loading bin the rain is an issue.

There are benefits in having normal doors over a tailgate as you can open one door discreetly to get something out and the whole of the rear of the van isnt on show. You can sit on the bed and get the sun. Plus if someone has parked close to the door a tailgate cant be used.

The partially obstructed side door still lets large boxy shaped items in where a caravan door is still narrower, and like you say cooking in nice weather is great.

2017-06-17 19.52.29.jpg
2018-05-04 18.44.47.jpg

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013

Paul

Hi Paul,

Only ever had a PVC's so nothing to compare - I bought a van & had it converted to my design/spec - here's what works for me:

Your points about loading with barn doors are valid & that was a main consideration for me, as I carry motorbikes in mine. I've not had a problem in cold weather, I sleep with my head at the door end, but if I did, I would just put a thermal curtain against them. Getting the bed wet when loading is not an issue as my upholstery is vinyl & wipes clean - it's grey/black rather than the sea of beige that afflicts most motorhome interiors! I may find the wipe clean feature even more useful as I get older!
Of course, living in Wales means it doesn't rain often!

The side door on mine is not obstructed, but I m looking at ways to have it half open! My drive slopes down, so it's a pain as it keeps shutting unless fully open!

With regards to claustrophobic, I choose not to have a roof light in my van, but the windows aren't a dark as they could be as a a compromise. For me, a roof light was something extra to go wrong.
I mostly travel alone, but can seat 8 around the table plus 1 on the buddy box & one on the swivel passenger seat. It wasn't designed for that but comes in handy on a rainy paragliding day. All this in a 5.5m van! In all honesty, it's not ideal for more than a quick cuppa for 10 people! But having 4 people on board for beer/wine is fine for a few hours. In addition I choose light wood for the furniture so it looks a bit brighter.

As for size, I have a Pug Boxer X250 MWB - it is my daily drive and I have had no problem parking due to width/length, but height has to be taken into consideration for some car parks. I have done 5 weeks away in it carrying motorbike, paraglider, unicycle, longboard plus clothes food etc without problem. My final decision was between a MWB or LWB 6m van - the larger van would have meant I could have had a shower fitted, but I decided on being dirty & having a smaller van:) (in reality, I spoke to many friends with Moho's a most didn't use their showers)

I think the word 'Compromise' sums up nearly every motohome. For me, I chose simplicity and as small as possible and my 'Sarah' (named after my favourite bend on the TT course Sarah's Cottage) is perfect!

But as many have said, we are all different and it's about finding out what works for you ad yours

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have had coachbuilt for thirty years and enjoyed them.

However, last year my wife decided that she didn’t like driving the large vehicles any more and suggested “downsizing” to a PVC so she could continue to share the driving.

We looked at several and I was impressed by their innovative use of the limited space. My concern was whether or not we would find them confining after the larger coachbuilt.

Having thought about for some time I came to the conclusion that, in the coachbuilt we were either in the “lounge” or in bed for 90% or more, of the time. The rest of the time being spent in the loo/shower or cooking.

Looking at the PVC I realised that the more confined areas ie the loo/shower and the kitchen area were unlikely to be a problem in view of the above.

We switched last December and have just completed a 3800 mile tour around Spain and France, over a period of 9 weeks, and found it fantastic. No going back now, PVC it is.(y)

The back door/weather issue did arise once during our journey but it’s surprising how quickly you can open and close a door when necessary!:)

Upvote 0

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
Regarding rear doors, I'd reasoned a little bit differently to others.

Lets assume a single tailgate, hinged at the top. The would not be any kind of obstacle to loading, and at the same time, when opened, could give a shaded place to sit, or even a small amount of protection from the weather. Although not 100% certain, and may be thinking wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the Transit that Guy Martin used to use as a bike transporter had this kind of door.

A tailgate that was split horizontally could not only be used as a simple seat, but could also give a small amount of protection from the weather.

There are also what are known as "Clamshell" tailgates. Strictly speaking, these have a window that can go up into the roof, and a lower half that goes down under the floor. They still have easy loading, but dont need any space behind to open if anything is close. How practical they would be on a PVC is debatable.

As was stated by @Nasher its finding out what works best for you and yours. Just pointing out there could be alternatives.

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Re tailgate or barn doors. My previous van was a VW T5 and there was always talk on the VW forum regarding which was best, including owners who would convert from one to the other.

As others have said, the tailgate option is nice for sitting under and a lot of the surfers like them as a shelter, but the downsides are they require more space behind to open, so not favoured by the delivery drivers....

In addition, putting cycle racks on the back may be a problem, with the additional wieght

As far as I am aware, there are smaller vans (Transits, Vivaro, etc) that have the option of Barn or tailgate, but for the larger vans, which we are using, I don't think there are any with a tailgate - but happy to be proved wrong!

Upvote 0

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Hi John, yes and storage box. Very handy and a lovely perch. That van had a very special, well thought out layout. Sold today after nearly 5 years. Needs meant we had to have another van. What have we bought? Another 6m PVC :D Janie

What have you bought.

John.

Upvote 0

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Panel Van Conversion ie a panel van has been converted, whereas a coach built just uses the chassis of the van and adds a purpose made “box” on to it. :)
Late to the party as usual - loads of people have answered your question before me!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul_Oxon
May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Definitely some good suggestions so far. When we were looking, the Globecar was very tempting -- well designed with some nice details -- and we came very close to buying one.

We also looked at Wildax and went for a Wildax Europa in the end, with some minor bespoke modifications -- but that's a two-person van, so the Aurora would be the Wildax model for three.

The difference for us was that we had already decided on a PVC for a number of reasons (access/parking at home, access to more places, etc.), so that already narrowed down the choice.

The longest we have spent living in it is a month and we reckon if you can do a month, you can do pretty much any length of time. In fact at one point we had two of us working in it, not just living. Ours is 6.128 metres long (to be precise!); I don't think living space is an issue in a PVC particularly. The thing you have to be clever with in a PVC is the things you take along with you: a PVC is probably not for you if you want to take a motorbike/scooter/RIB or whatever, where a large garage is a must (although, then again, there is such a thing as a trailer). Bikes on the other hand are not a problem: we have carried all kinds of bikes. We have carried utility bikes and mountain bikes, but they are a bit heavy, so for longer trips where we are fully loaded (3,500kg van) we now tend to compromise on lightweight road bikes with slightly chunkier tyres. If we know we are sticking to tarmac and reasonably short journeys we just take fold-up Bromptons and carry them in the van rather than on the rack -- having ridden a Brompton off road, I wouldn't recommend it :)

Thanks - I'm becoming more certain that a PVC is for me. Might hire one to give it a try.
Current thoughts are Globecar or Wildax on a Maxi chassis and uprate the weight. Possibly include a towbar & towbar bike carrier, although putting a single bike in the back is an option as well. It feels like I might end up ordering something new to get what I want :whatthe:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul_Oxon
May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
We have had coachbuilt for thirty years and enjoyed them.

However, last year my wife decided that she didn’t like driving the large vehicles any more and suggested “downsizing” to a PVC so she could continue to share the driving.

We looked at several and I was impressed by their innovative use of the limited space. My concern was whether or not we would find them confining after the larger coachbuilt.

Having thought about for some time I came to the conclusion that, in the coachbuilt we were either in the “lounge” or in bed for 90% or more, of the time. The rest of the time being spent in the loo/shower or cooking.

Looking at the PVC I realised that the more confined areas ie the loo/shower and the kitchen area were unlikely to be a problem in view of the above.

We switched last December and have just completed a 3800 mile tour around Spain and France, over a period of 9 weeks, and found it fantastic. No going back now, PVC it is.(y)

The back door/weather issue did arise once during our journey but it’s surprising how quickly you can open and close a door when necessary!:)

Some good thoughts - thanks. I'm thinking that the Globecar shower in the corridor seems a clever design, gives a bit more space for showering, and doesn't take up any space when it's not being used. I'm not sure I can see and disadvantages but will take a look at one in the flesh at Newbury show next weekend.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Some good thoughts - thanks. I'm thinking that the Globecar shower in the corridor seems a clever design, gives a bit more space for showering, and doesn't take up any space when it's not being used. I'm not sure I can see and disadvantages but will take a look at one in the flesh at Newbury show next weekend.
We also looked at that layout and agree that it appears to give more room for showering. (We always use our “on board” facilities when away).

The only disadvantage we could see was having to walk through the shower each time we moved fore and aft. I was a bit concerned as to how the shower floor, (tray), might stand up to such traffic, especially if wearing shoes. On the model we saw you walked directly on the shower floor. Others may be different.

We decided to opt for a conventional shower room for that reason. Perhaps over cautious.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul_Oxon
May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
We also looked at that layout and agree that it appears to give more room for showering. (We always use our “on board” facilities when away).

The only disadvantage we could see was having to walk through the shower each time we moved fore and aft. I was a bit concerned as to how the shower floor, (tray), might stand up to such traffic, especially if wearing shoes. On the model we saw you walked directly on the shower floor. Others may be different.

We decided to opt for a conventional shower room for that reason. Perhaps over cautious.

Current Globecars appear to have a wooden infill that sits in the shower tray. But Minxy Girl has had problems in hers with a cracked shower tray where it wasn't supported adequately. It does seem to be a one-off though as others haven't had the same problem.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Current Globecars appear to have a wooden infill that sits in the shower tray. But Minxy Girl has had problems in hers with a cracked shower tray where it wasn't supported adequately. It does seem to be a one-off though as others haven't had the same problem.
I'm aware of at least 2 others who have had a similar issue but other than that not heard of any more, our shower tray doesn't have any support at all as it appears to have been missed out when it was made, hence why it has cracked, but that'll get sorted when it goes into the dealer in a week's time as they will not only be replacing the tray but also building a support under it.

I was a bit concerned as to how the shower floor, (tray), might stand up to such traffic, especially if wearing shoes. On the model we saw you walked directly on the shower floor. Others may be different.
The shower tray has a removable wooden top/cover which is what you walk on, not the actual shower tray itself, it could be that for some reason the cover had been removed from the one you saw.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back