PVC or coach built (1 Viewer)

May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Hi everyone

I'm looking to purchase a motorhome and am just at the beginning of the journey to decide what to buy. So much learning and research to do!

My big stumbling block at the moment is to decide whether to go down the PVC or coachbuilt route. The problem I have is that I have different uses, which are best suited to both types of vehicle (and one of each is not an option!). A lot of my use will be me alone for one or two nights, and not spending much time in the vehicle as I volunteer at events away from home. For this a PVC seems perfect.

At other times, I might be with 1 or 2 companions, either touring or staying away for several nights, a week or longer. The PVC would be easier to drive around more narrow roads, easier to visit places, and I'm not too worried about the claustrophobia aspect. More of a concern is having enough storage for the day to day gubbins that you would want to take if staying somewhere for a few days - camping chairs / table / windbreak / bbq / 2 bikes - I can see it all adding up. Then there is the question of carrying it within the payload. I have a C1 licence so would be happy to have a >3.5T vehicle if required but this seems pretty rare in the PVC world compared to coach built.

I'd be interested to hear from others who own PVCs how they get on with carrying what they need (especially including bikes) in terms of both storage and weight. I'm happy with a rear bike carrier or towball carrier, but of course they will add weight.

Other differences between the types of vehicle - they seem the same sort of price, I'm guessing PVCs tend to be an all-steel body whereas coach built would be lighter materials, but both will have a steel chassis which will rust at the same rate.

In terms of what I'm looking for - at least 3 berth and 3 travelling seats, not a pop-top. The rest is up for grabs! I'm also undecided whether to look at a fixed double bed at the rear (more comfortable / more storage under) or 2 bench sofas which convert to a double or can be 2 singles (less comfortable? / more hassle to make the bed up, but nice to have more sitting space on a rainy day!)

I realise that I will have to decide which aspects are more important to me, but would love to hear from people whether they find their PVC adequate or restrictive and wish they had something larger.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and experiences.

Paul

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many sub 3500kg PVCs can be uprated to 3750kg/3850kg/4100kg.
You just need to know which ones.
Many are downrated to 3500kg to sitisfy those owners without a C1.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Wildax Aurora will meet all your needs ;)...
especially if uprated to 3850Kg and maybe the XL variant...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul_Oxon
May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Wildax Aurora will meet all your needs ;)...
especially if uprated to 3850Kg and maybe the XL variant...
That's good to hear, it's on my list of vehicles I'm interested in and hope to look at one at the show at Newbury this weekend.

Coming from a narrowboat where weight wasn't an issue (even had a full size bath on board), it's going to be a bit of a change of mind set!

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
My Globecar Campscout Revolution PVC has a large electric bed at the back meaning it can be at various heights depending on what we want to carry underneath it. It also has an extra rear bed that can be fitted under the electric bed for when we have extra people to sleep.
Mine is now plated at 4500kg but came as 3500kg.

we had a large 3 axle Frankia before this and getting around is so much easier. Its also great in the hot weather as we can throw the rear doors open and the side sliding door is nice compared to a narrower caravan style door

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Its also great in the hot weather as we can throw the rear doors open
Yup, that too but it only occurred to me to do that last weekend :doh:...
Lovely it was.

The only thing I've really noticed about downsizing from a coachbuilt to a PVC is the aisle is narrower and the van has quite a closed in feel [until you open all the doors that is!]
I'm quite used to lounging on a bed, so the fixed bed isn't an issue - two types of relaxing areas.
Take the dinette table out & it changes the feel of that area again...

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How about a nice 2015 Globecar FamilyScout L ... 3 berth - fixed rear double bed, front L shaped lounge (3rd bed), 4 travelling seats, uprated to 4250kg so loads and loads of payload (about 1250kg ...) lots of storage space ... up for sale shortly!

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
After downsizing from 8.5 metre then 7.25 metre coachbuilts, I'm loving my 6.3 metre Auto-Sleeper PVC, with fixed bed.

I uprated the maximum gross weight (paper exercise on XL chassis) from 3500kg to 4500kg, with a 200kg increase on the rear axle, so loads of payload.

Upvote 0

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We have a Globecar Campscout uprated to 4100 which gives us a payload of 1150 kg.
It has a massive rear fixed bed with loads of storage underneath, it also as ample cupboard space and decent sized fridge, freezer box.

We downsized from a coachbuilt and won’t ever go back.
Have a google at Globecar.

John.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Yup, that too but it only occurred to me to do that last weekend :doh:...
Lovely it was.

The only thing I've really noticed about downsizing from a coachbuilt to a PVC is the aisle is narrower and the van has quite a closed in feel [until you open all the doors that is!]
I'm quite used to lounging on a bed, so the fixed bed isn't an issue - two types of relaxing areas.
Take the dinette table out & it changes the feel of that area again...

The Revolution feels less closed in with the extra headroom.

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Can i make a suggestion, why dont you hire a PVC for a weekend and use it in one of your “ usage modes” whilst imaging it in the other mode and then hire a Coachbuilt and again try to envisage the 2 modes

IMO it would be the best £1000 - £1500 you will ever ‘waste’

Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
How about a nice 2015 Globecar FamilyScout L ... 3 berth - fixed rear double bed, front L shaped lounge (3rd bed), 4 travelling seats, uprated to 4250kg so loads and loads of payload (about 1250kg ...) lots of storage space ... up for sale shortly!

Hi Minxy ,how much and what mileage if you don’t mind me asking (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul_Oxon
May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
My Globecar Campscout Revolution PVC has a large electric bed at the back meaning it can be at various heights depending on what we want to carry underneath it. It also has an extra rear bed that can be fitted under the electric bed for when we have extra people to sleep.
Mine is now plated at 4500kg but came as 3500kg.
I'd not seen this model, so thanks for alerting me to it - definitely worth a look.

Definitely the sort of thing I'm looking for, and it brings up my other dilemma - new, nearly new or slightly older ;)
I'd be interested in more details when it's available for sure.

After downsizing from 8.5 metre then 7.25 metre coachbuilts, I'm loving my 6.3 metre Auto-Sleeper PVC, with fixed bed.

I uprated the maximum gross weight (paper exercise on XL chassis) from 3500kg to 4500kg, with a 200kg increase on the rear axle, so loads of payload.
Great to hear that you find it a good alternative. Not too small when 'confined to quarters' then?

We have a Globecar Campscout uprated to 4100 which gives us a payload of 1150 kg.
It has a massive rear fixed bed with loads of storage underneath, it also as ample cupboard space and decent sized fridge, freezer box.

We downsized from a coachbuilt and won’t ever go back.
Have a google at Globecar.

John.
Thanks - the Globecar range is definitely one I'll look at more. The mid-ships shower looks to be a very clever design feature to pack a separate shower into a small vehicle.

It's good to hear that there are options to uprate the weight, that didn't seem to be so common on PVCs.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul_Oxon
May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Can i make a suggestion, why dont you hire a PVC for a weekend and use it in one of your “ usage modes” whilst imaging it in the other mode and then hire a Coachbuilt and again try to envisage the 2 modes

IMO it would be the best £1000 - £1500 you will ever ‘waste’
It's definitely something I'm considering, perhaps once I have more idea which way I'm heading. I think though that the biggest questions I have though are more related to longer term ownership and might not be answered on a short holiday. Such as is the storage space limiting for longer trips, or once you've acquired all of those 'essential' accessories, or what is it like to 'live in' when the weather isn't so great and there are 3 of you living in a tight space.
I may well go for a hire, but love to hear everyone's experience of ownership.

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
But i guarantee that something will come up in your mind that you havent even thought of yet
Good luck with the search, moe importantly let us all know how you get on

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Definitely the sort of thing I'm looking for, and it brings up my other dilemma - new, nearly new or slightly older ;)
I'd be interested in more details when it's available for sure.

I've just sent you a message Paul. :)

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
It is a good idea to hire one and try them, we started with a C Class Coachbuilt then an A Class and downsized to a panel van a Rapido van V53 thats for sale and just got another panel van, we love them it's very easy, and we have tried a scooter on a rack, a car on a frame, car on trailer and it's nothing about size because we owned trucks for 18 years, your always get the if a bin lorry or bus can get down so can we, but they don't worry about scratching it to bits. :rofl: Bob.

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
@Paul_Oxon if you are considering Globecar then for the full range of models have a look at the German website https://www.globecar.de/en/models/ as not all models are on Globecar UK. There are two great value special editions Broken Link Removed & Broken Link Removed but both are LHD & Citroen only.
More info. on Summit here too https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...n-van-conversion-high-spec-good-price.166989/
It's €700 extra for the Maxi chassis option.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Definitely some good suggestions so far. When we were looking, the Globecar was very tempting -- well designed with some nice details -- and we came very close to buying one.

We also looked at Wildax and went for a Wildax Europa in the end, with some minor bespoke modifications -- but that's a two-person van, so the Aurora would be the Wildax model for three.

The difference for us was that we had already decided on a PVC for a number of reasons (access/parking at home, access to more places, etc.), so that already narrowed down the choice.

The longest we have spent living in it is a month and we reckon if you can do a month, you can do pretty much any length of time. In fact at one point we had two of us working in it, not just living. Ours is 6.128 metres long (to be precise!); I don't think living space is an issue in a PVC particularly. The thing you have to be clever with in a PVC is the things you take along with you: a PVC is probably not for you if you want to take a motorbike/scooter/RIB or whatever, where a large garage is a must (although, then again, there is such a thing as a trailer). Bikes on the other hand are not a problem: we have carried all kinds of bikes. We have carried utility bikes and mountain bikes, but they are a bit heavy, so for longer trips where we are fully loaded (3,500kg van) we now tend to compromise on lightweight road bikes with slightly chunkier tyres. If we know we are sticking to tarmac and reasonably short journeys we just take fold-up Bromptons and carry them in the van rather than on the rack -- having ridden a Brompton off road, I wouldn't recommend it :)

Upvote 0
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

We have a 7m coach built but looked at the PVCs at the last NEC show with a view to downsizing. The Kingham was by far the best we saw. The French bed arrangement gives the van a more open feel, and the sofa is superb.

Don't know why other manufacturers don't consider that layout.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
That was the layout I had in my old Ace coachbuilt... It did have a very open feel...
...but I wonder what is squeezed in the narrower body shell, the bed or the bathroom?
A bit of both Stephen, but probably the biggest compromise is the bathroom. I'm not the skinniest of people and manage ok, but as I travel solo the bed feels massive.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Great to hear that you find it a good alternative. Not too small when 'confined to quarters' then?
Certainly not too small for me as I travel solo. The Kingham doesn't have the travelling seats that you require, it was more to advise that the payload of XL chassis, with 16" wheels and AirTops, can be significantly increased without modification.

Upvote 0

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
When I was looking around for the one I have now, I had much the same thoughts as the OP. That is to say, should it be a PVC or coachbuilt.

On every PVC is saw, I disliked 3 things. First, the twin doors at the rear. Why manufacturers dont have either a tailgate, hinged at the top as some german built Transits do, or even a "Clamshell" type is beyond me. Second, the side door. No point in having a wide door that has half of its width restricted by the cooker. Does anyone on here restrict entry to their home permanently by putting a piece of immovable furniture in front of it? I am aware that some owners restrict the amount that the door opens, which in a way proves my point! Third, they always seem to be a bit dark and claustrophobic inside.

So I bought a coachbuilt, or more correctly, lowprofile. Similar width to PVC's, under 6 metres when travelling, 6,7 when parked, and space for three. Or even four if three of the travellers are...erm...friendly! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
The Revolution feels less closed in with the extra headroom.

The only downside to the Revolution, which we have, is that if you are vertically challenged, which we are, you can’t reach the cupboards or light switch and need a step ladder to climb into the beds! We still love it though and wouldn’t go back to a coach built.

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
When I was looking around for the one I have now, I had much the same thoughts as the OP. That is to say, should it be a PVC or coachbuilt.

On every PVC is saw, I disliked 3 things. First, the twin doors at the rear. Why manufacturers dont have either a tailgate, hinged at the top as some german built Transits do, or even a "Clamshell" type is beyond me. Second, the side door. No point in having a wide door that has half of its width restricted by the cooker. Does anyone on here restrict entry to their home permanently by putting a piece of immovable furniture in front of it? I am aware that some owners restrict the amount that the door opens, which in a way proves my point! Third, they always seem to be a bit dark and claustrophobic inside.

So I bought a coachbuilt, or more correctly, lowprofile. Similar width to PVC's, under 6 metres when travelling, 6,7 when parked, and space for three. Or even four if three of the travellers are...erm...friendly! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I thought all of that too (y) but how the 6.7 when parked? :confused:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back