Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Hello all

and a quick intro. As a long time nautical family in 2017 we bought ourselves a Swift Caravan as part of a long planned family chug from Plymouth where we have the boat moored to Leith via the east Coast using the caravan as accomodation for changing over crew for different legs of the journey. After ridiculing the build quality for a while we consoled ourselves with the fact that at least Swift did not make boats! But in fairness the Caravan was absolutely fine, did the job for the 12 weeks and everyone enjoyed the caravan. It has been used by all and sundry since so it turned out to be a good buy. However for our next cruise project next year we have had plenty of time to assess what we need. The Caravan became a bit of a faff moving off every couple of days and we were not able to park up in Marinas for the night whereas PVC's seemed more welcome for a modest cost if visiting moored craft overnight. So now the Caravan is sold for nearly what we paid for it, such is the market, and we are on the point of ordering a PVC which has the size and flexibility we think we all need. We have decided on the Rapido Dreamer Living Van with 160 hp, 9 speed Auto, heavy chassis plus a load of options. Time will tell how we get on with it but it is the layout which replicated our Swift which worked for us and will be more nimble to get about in. We are also hoping the PVC will be less prone to moving about when on site. I am drawn to hydraulic jacks for their convenience despite the cost equating to 12 months mooring fees. I have lurked about this and other forums gleaning absorbing various views on them . So my first question, of many I suspect, is do Hydraulic Jacks reduce movement when deployed on site?
Thanks in anticipation of your experiences.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Think of it as going aground in a bilge keeler.
Oh, and I've never yet needed a gimballed stove and pan clamps ;).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
It is very rare that we have had movement with wind in our PVC and its a high roof model
Only used the leveling ramps once this year however I would not rule out auto leveling if you fancy it
You would be pushing 3.5 t though on most vans

Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
Having sailed dinghies and yachts for over 60 years and currently have a PVC on a site with the Needles in the distance and it’s gusting 30 plus knots side on, don’t worry. I’ve never used levelling ramps and the movement is minor and similar to a yacht in harbour, lovely and very relaxing.

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
Had a Fiat Adria twin only moved very slightly in big ol storms. I learned to survey wind protection for big storms… next to buildings as sites often mostly empty. Question do you really need them for time in van and then barely flinching in wind etc

OP
OP
dash300
Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Many thanks for your helpfull replies. The damped roll of a boat I do find relaxing and remains several hours after leaving the boat! It's a different sensation to the caravan however which shakes when people move about caused in part by it's light structure pivoting around just a single axle with just fairly flimsy steadies in each corner. We'll see how we get on when the Van arrives. Heartening to know hydraulic levelers do the trick though. Fortunately with the heavy chassis we have around 1200kg payload to accomodate the extra weight should we go down that route.
Other questions will surely follow!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Many thanks for your helpfull replies. The damped roll of a boat I do find relaxing and remains several hours after leaving the boat! It's a different sensation to the caravan however which shakes when people move about caused in part by it's light structure pivoting around just a single axle with just fairly flimsy steadies in each corner. We'll see how we get on when the Van arrives. Heartening to know hydraulic levelers do the trick though. Fortunately with the heavy chassis we have around 1200kg payload to accomodate the extra weight should we go down that route.
Other questions will surely follow!
Your PVC won't move as you walk about in it. During really high winds we can feel ours shake a bit but it isn't a problem - more a reassurance we are sheltered from the wild weather outside.

The advantage of jacks is the self-levelling when you stop for the night. However, you can get this with air suspension and this has the much more useful advantage of greatly improved ride quality.

I would suggest see how you get on and decide later what, if anything, to fit.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
1200kg of payload is huge what is the plated weight of the van looking at their website i cant see one above 3.5?

OP
OP
dash300
Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Your PVC won't move as you walk about in it. During really high winds we can feel ours shake a bit but it isn't a problem - more a reassurance we are sheltered from the wild weather outside.

The advantage of jacks is the self-levelling when you stop for the night. However, you can get this with air suspension and this has the much more useful advantage of greatly improved ride quality.

I would suggest see how you get on and decide later what, if anything, to fit.
Yes I think we will. Not going to part with upwards of 5k without exploring the options.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Go for air suspension more benefits for less weight and cost is similar to jacks.
don’t forget to ignore the tyre pressures the Dealer has delivered to you but independently check with tyre manufacture for correct tyres after having it weighed in normal travel trim, with al, the gear you are likely to be carrying including fuel and a bit off water. You will probably find you can reduce pressures all round.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
No levellers or wind down jacks on our last two motorhomes ( 7mtr and 7.4 mtr ), never felt any movement at all walking around, very slight rocking in a gale once at Durness. I would think a PVC would be even more stable.

Welcome to the motorhome world.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
It is very rare that we have had movement with wind in our PVC and its a high roof model
Only used the leveling ramps once this year however I would not rule out auto leveling if you fancy it
You would be pushing 3.5 t though on most vans
I regularly have wind in my PVC and that's probably why I never get the chance to get it rocking

OP
OP
dash300
Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Go for air suspension more benefits for less weight and cost is similar to jacks.
don’t forget to ignore the tyre pressures the Dealer has delivered to you but independently check with tyre manufacture for correct tyres after having it weighed in normal travel trim, with al, the gear you are likely to be carrying including fuel and a bit off water. You will probably find you can reduce pressures all round.
Another vote for Air Suspension thankyou. Yes I have read the 80psi for the Michelins !! which I believe mine will have. Not having TPMS as it has always been over sensitive in the car and had it disabled. So lowering pressures in the Van should not be an issue. So I concur with your view.
No levellers or wind down jacks on our last two motorhomes ( 7mtr and 7.4 mtr ), never felt any movement at all walking around, very slight rocking in a gale once at Durness. I would think a PVC would be even more stable.

Welcome to the motorhome world.
Nice to hear as the Van does not have much rear overhang.
I regularly have wind in my PVC and that's probably why I never get the chance to get it rocking
There is a Yacht in the Marina called 'Passing Wind' which makes for interesting VHF calls!

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
We've just moved from an 8.5m, slab sided, 3.3m high van in which you couldn't sleep in a gale without jacks.
Now have 6.3m, PVC, 4.25ton rated, and movement due to high winds is negligible.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I did weather Storm Miguel inside my PVC while in France. It was aligned with the wind direction so no rocking, though a branch fell on the roof at one point which caused a bit of concern. Luckily no damage.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Oh to get back up there ! How that place as changed
I agree, sadly a little anti motorhomes at the moment, parking very limited with hay bales blocking most legitimate places. Campsite, where we stayed on the night of the gale, is still open but very busy.

Probably best to visit late in the year or very early spring, fortunately we live in northern Scotland so we can pop up there any time.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I did weather Storm Miguel inside my PVC while in France. It was aligned with the wind direction so no rocking, though a branch fell on the roof at one point which caused a bit of concern. Luckily no damage.
I did October 1987 hurricane in uncles MB 208d camper at camber sands whilst family tent blew away!!

Was my favourite uncle after that!!

Cheers James

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
scrub and antifoul it.
Earnt good money doing that !
1628441673733.png

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We have decided on the Rapido Dreamer Living Van with 160 hp, 9 speed Auto, heavy chassis plus a load of options.

Nice van, good choice - I've seen a Dreamer hi-line up close and they look well configured inside with good quality fittings.

We are also hoping the PVC will be less prone to moving about when on site. I am drawn to hydraulic jacks for their convenience despite the cost equating.......

Our PVC is registered at 4,500kg and normally runs fully laden at 3,850kg. We have VB rear semi-air suspension fitted and for the most time this stops any movement within the van.

The only time when I've experienced a really wobbly van is when I parked in a proper dodgy place in Unst, Shetland, where the cross winds hit us and I thought we were going to tip over, lol.

That said, we only do off-grid camping and there's been many occassion when a levelling system would have been ideal since 'farting about' with levelling ramps when the insects are trying to feast on you is not my idea of fun.

Personally speaking I would start with a set of VB Air and then see how you get on. My VB kit cost £330 and I fitted it myself.

The Jack system is expensive but if Nicky and I were going to continue with camping then I would certainly spend the £4,500 for the E&P system as IMO sleeping flat and straight is my idea of perfection.

Good luck with your Dreamer,

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
dash300
Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Nice van, good choice - I've seen a Dreamer hi-line up close and they look well configured inside with good quality fittings.

Our PVC is registered at 4,500kg and normally runs fully laden at 3,850kg. We have VB rear semi-air suspension fitted and for the most time this stops any movement within the van.

The only time when I've experienced a really wobbly van is when I parked in a proper dodgy place in Unst, Shetland, where the cross winds hit us and I thought we were going to tip over, lol.

That said, we only do off-grid camping and there's been many occassion when a levelling system would have been ideal since 'farting about' with levelling ramps when the insects are trying to feast on you is not my idea of fun.

Personally speaking I would start with a set of VB Air and then see how you get on. My VB kit cost £330 and I fitted it myself.

The Jack system is expensive but if Nicky and I were going to continue with camping then I would certainly spend the £4,500 for the E&P system as IMO sleeping flat and straight is my idea of perfection.

Good luck with your Dreamer,

All the best,

Andrew
Yes the semi air suspension is getting support and probably the first option to try before the Jacks.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
and not forgetting anything Marine has a mark up second only to owning an Aircraft!
……many of us on here would wholeheartedly concur. Great choice of van and very smart to go for heavy chassis - I suspect that you did considerable research. (y) (y) Enjoy!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back