PVC Door Locks (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I’m contemplating extra security for my forthcoming Ducato PVC with the emphasis being cab, passenger (slider) and rear door looks.

With regard to the above specifically, ignoring alarms, LED's, dogs, dog bowls outside etc and the old chestnut of windows, what is you priority.

1. Add Locks to lock yourself in so you you’re secure at night whilst asleep.
  2. Add locks the keep potential criminals out so you feel secure while away from the van.

I ask as it seems there are no products that satisfy both of the above as you can’t activate locks 1 from outside, and locks 2 from inside.

For those without a priority do you think the standard fit locks are secure enough.

Cheers, Chris.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
On the ducato some of us have fitted these.

https://www.protectavan.co.uk/vehic...006-present/ducato-sept-2006-present-proplate

They stop the lock being attacked via a small hole being made just under the plastic housing which is a common method of breaking into the ducato. Unless you know what you are looking for the hole that is made to gain entry is barely noticeable. There have been a couple of threads on here where the owners have had their vans broken into in this way. They only need to be fitted to the doors that have locks.

Here's one of the threads
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/how-did-they-break-in.109855/
a couple of years old but it's still a common method of getting in the ducato with hardly any damage.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
We have deadlocks on cab doors rear doors & sliding door. These are all locked when we are away from the vehicle. At night before going to bed the deadlocks are used for all doors except the slider, we have another home made security devise to stop the door from sliding open but in an emergency we can disable this and exit the van if necessary.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
As I'm visiting @eddievanbitz on Weds, this has been at the forefront of my mind...
Although the OP said disregard alarms my feeling is that how much damage would be done by a determined thief trying to overcome stubborn locks whilst a "loud" alarm might discourage ?
I've also come round to the idea that whilst a break in and the loss of your iPad & the £1k cash everyone leaves lying around would be a PITA, the actual theft of the vehicle whilst on a trip would be a nightmare...
So my chosen security options are a loud alarm (required anyway by insurance) and Non Start to ensure it stays where I left it.

OP
OP
Infinity31
Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On the ducato some of us have fitted these.

https://www.protectavan.co.uk/vehic...006-present/ducato-sept-2006-present-proplate

They stop the lock being attacked via a small hole being made just under the plastic housing which is a common method of breaking into the ducato. Unless you know what you are looking for the hole that is made to gain entry is barely noticeable. There have been a couple of threads on here where the owners have had their vans broken into in this way. They only need to be fitted to the doors that have locks.

Here's one of the threads
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/how-did-they-break-in.109855/
a couple of years old but it's still a common method of getting in the ducato with hardly any damage.

Thanks for that. The Proplate sort of addresses both 1 & 2 and seems a cost effective security measure. Did you fit them yourself? I've seen a youtube of a grubby handed guy stripping out the door panel on a Citroen I think to fit them. was it straight forward?

We have deadlocks on cab doors rear doors & sliding door. These are all locked when we are away from the vehicle. At night before going to bed the deadlocks are used for all doors except the slider, we have another home made security devise to stop the door from sliding open but in an emergency we can disable this and exit the van if necessary.

I think my priority would No2 so I feel deadlocks all round would be the most secure, I could live with the slider not being locked at night. But this has to be weighed against the cost, 4 decent ones aren't cheap. Plus see below:

As I'm visiting @eddievanbitz on Weds, this has been at the forefront of my mind...
Although the OP said disregard alarms my feeling is that how much damage would be done by a determined thief trying to overcome stubborn locks whilst a "loud" alarm might discourage ?
I've also come round to the idea that whilst a break in and the loss of your iPad & the £1k cash everyone leaves lying around would be a PITA, the actual theft of the vehicle whilst on a trip would be a nightmare...
So my chosen security options are a loud alarm (required anyway by insurance) and Non Start to ensure it stays where I left it.

I only said disregard alarms because, as you said most insurance companies require one, but you make good points regarding having a few possessions stolen versus the van gone, I'm having one fitted as matter of course. But fitting a combination of Strikeback/Growler/Non Start/proplate/deadlocks and costs are starting to add up.

When away from the van a determined criminal will get in no mater what, Proplates are relatively inexpensive and will protect from an opportunist with a small screwdriver. Either way the alarm will do it's stuff and hopefully discourage, and with Non Start the van will stay where it is.

Thanks all(y)

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for that. The Proplate sort of addresses both 1 & 2 and seems a cost effective security measure. Did you fit them yourself? I've seen a youtube of a grubby handed guy stripping out the door panel on a Citroen I think to fit them. was it straight forward?

Yes, I fitted them myself. It wasn't difficult, just a bit fiddly. I think I watched the youtube video that you have and came to the conclusion that the various bits that he was popping off so easily had beed popped off several times before. Mine required a bit more time and patience to encourage them to release. With the combination of the instructions provided and video it was fairly straight forward.

The sealant provided is white so I substituted this with a black one as mine is a dark pvc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Infinity31
Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Great thanks for that. I know about those poppers, they seem to use them everywhere on vehicles these days, very easy to damage them unless you take time to persuade them out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back